Eustacian Tube Dysfunction! Argh!!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi! I've been suffering for around about a year now, and my goodness has this got me down. It's been life changing, and I'm desperate to get my life back! I used to enjoy so many things, travelling being one of them. Now due to my ear and the pressure that happen when I travel (even the smallest distances) I avoid it and that's really upsetting me. I just want to be me again! 

I have found a doctor who is finally referring me to ENT, but has warned me that ETD is a very tricky thing to cure.

I'm here to ask for help in coping, does anyone have any advice on how they deal with it? I've became so worried about it that it's become an obsession almost. Any positive stories or ways to deal with it day to day would be amazing, and so appreciated. 

Many thanks, Kirsty x 

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Kirsty - I empathize with everything you’ve said. I’ve had it for about 7 years now. It came on randomly one day. It got really awful with the stress of the holidays. I saw someone found some relief with a chiropractor, you may have read some of my posts. My chiropractor said I carry all of my stress and tension in my neck completely changing the structure. It can also be caused by dental work where dental massage can help. 

Hang in there. There’s many of us who know how you feel. I was in the dumps so badly exactly a month ago that I thought about ending everything. It’s very distressing, like you, I didn’t travel because of it. Now I can tolerate it after a chiropractor adjustment of my neck and stretching. Good luck. 

• Posted

I'm so sorry you've been in such a bad way too. It really is debilitating isn't it? I feel like my life has changed completely because of it, I wish I could just get in a car without having a panic attack before doing it. It really gets to me sometimes. 

I long to one day just be able to cope with it and do what I used to love! 

I have to keep going for my kids but I want to be happy go lucky me again that would go anywhere! Sorry to go on, thank you for your reply, Kirsty x 

• Posted

I have found that my ears act up the most when I'm anxious or stressed.  

My right ear always acts up when I'm in the car.  I never could figure out why and thought maybe the car sealed up too tight and it was the pressure.  I tried cracking the windows and it didn't help.  I finally figured out what the issue was for me.  I was in a horrific car wreck several years ago that involved a fatality and a lot of injuries.  I have never been comfortable in a car since that wreck and a counselor told me I had PTSD from that accident.  My TMD is muscular in nature.  When I get stressed, nervous or upset my muscles tighten up.  When my muscles tighten my TMD acts up and causes my ear to act up.  I've found if I take an anxiety pill before taking a longer trip my ear doesn't act up as much.  

I just need to figure out how to never get stressed!  Like that is possible.  We usually travel about 10 hours for vacation.  I'm already dreading it.  

• Posted

This is exactly like me Anne. Mine really play up when I'm in the car. I'm so sorry you went through what you did. Have you ever had help for it? 

We go to Scotland to visit my partner (6-7 hour journey) and I'm an absolute mess beforehand, and in the car, shaking and sweating because I know what will happen to my ear. 

I'd love to just stop being so anxious about it too, it's had a massive impact on my life and I find it exhausting! I've asked for counselling but there's just none available and I can't afford private. 

Do you find the anxiety med helps you to travel? 

Kirsty 

• Posted

I take a very small dose of Klonopin daily and when I know I’m going to be in the car for an extended period of time I take a full dose.  

‘I went to counseling for a while but didn’t feel like it was helping.  

‘I’m better when I’m driving.  I’m not a good passenger.   

• Posted

Can I ask a question Ann? Why do you think my ears would be okay for a few minutes (not great but okay) on waking, then they get bad again as soon as I start walking around? Any ideas? 

Kirsty x 

• Posted

Hi Ann1013,

How long have you been taking Klonopin, at what time do you take it and what  symptoms does it help alleviate?

Thank you

• Posted

Kirsty, Sometimes over night the eustachian tubes manage to drain, but not completely.....so they feel

good first thing, then evidently still mucus in the tubes, so they stick them back up again   That's the only

reason I can think this happens.  I know you have ask this question to the other Ann, but thought this idea maybe the reason.

Anne

• Posted

So sorry, this question was meant for you, I thought I'd just been spelling your name wrong all this time. Sorry. 

So in your opinion it will be mucus still stuck there? I always thought it was air trapped as need to pop it (which it still isn't going) I'm learning all the time about this!  

Thank you for the reply x

• Posted

Not sure ears pop when it's air Kirsty.  That's a different complaint, that I think is called PET.....when the tubes remain open all the time.  Far worse in my opinion than ETD....at least we sometimes manage to be able to pop ears when mucus is present.  Air is so different and has to be equalised.  I've had PET a few times and comes on out of the blue, when I'm not suffering ETD.  Its' horrible, but soon seems to go away, thank goodness.  I really feel sorry for the people who suffer from that.

No worries about spelling.  People are always leaving off the e on my name.  I sometimes haven't read your messages when I've seen them for the other Ann.

Best wishes to you Kirsty and don't forget to let me know when you've

been prescribed what I've recommended.

Anne

• Posted

Thank you Anne, how would I know if I had PET? Sorry to bombard you with questions, I just don't really know what to do. I leave you to your weekend 😊

• Posted

Don't worry about that Kirsty, always here to help when possible.

Of course I don't know how you're feeling, but PET, where the

tubes are permanently open is the worse thing.  You can hear

your heart beating and your voice sounds funny, as you can hear

yourself speaking.  With ETD is a blocked, full feeling, but you

would be able to pop them....PET you can't.

Google PET and have a read about it.  Patulous something.

Are you getting the Nasule Drops....for Nose Only.  I had to

laugh when you thought they had to go in your ears.  Anything

that goes up the nose gets into the Eustachian Tubes behind

the eardrum, not in front of it.

Anne

• Posted

PET = Patulous Eustachian Tube.

Anne

• Posted

Me again.  I've just looked it up and all that's recommended is the steroid nasal sprays.

If your ears are blocked and the spray or drops aren't working, get your ENT consultant

to make a tiny incision in your eardrum so he suction the mucus out.

I've had this procedure done on several occasions, but haven't needed a hole to be made,

as the pressure behind my eardrum perforated it.  However, the mucus was so thick and

sticky it would drain completely and still felt blocked, so my consultant microsuctioned

it all out and everything was fine again until my sinus issues made it all start up again.

Usually getting only a few weeks relief from it.  Until of course I used the Nasules and

now only have to use them when my ears block, and that is now approx 7 days.  Feel

so very lucky that I seem to have mine under control

My problems of Sinus and allergies definitely cause my ETD.  People on the Forum 

talking about it possibly being TMJ, or even neck or back problems....mine isn't !!

Anne

• Posted

Haha! I do talk some nonsense I really do, so clueless about this stuff. 

I think the problem is I've had a nasty cold too and my nose is blocked on one side (as we talked about before) so possibly that's the problem this time. 

Did it cause you problems when you had yours drained? Sounds a bit scary, but I'm a wimp with my ears! 

Thank you again, Kirsty 

• Posted

No problems whatsoever, I was just so glad to get the cleared.  It actually feels quite nice

and not at all painful, just quite loud and you have to keep perfectly still.

What I've been through with my ears over the years I'm so used  to it now.  Did you know

that I contracted Peumococcal Bacterial Meningitis several years ago attributed to ETD.

My ears were blocked fo so long, the mucus in the tubes turbed bacterial, crossing the

blood/brain barrier and bingo it got me.  seriously ill in hospital for 2 weeks and months

at home getting better.  Sadly, due to the time lapse before the hospital realised I had

meningitis, I lost the sight in my left eye and a little deaf in my right ear.  Also suffer

dizziness when lying on my right side.....not a nice experience at all.  That's why I try

and recommend anyone that suffers ETD and gets an earache with it, to quickly get

on antibiotics to protect themselves.  I'm not the only person that's contracted Meningitis

caused by ETD.  So doctors should take this condition very seriously....my GP missed

mine.

Anne

• Posted

I’ve been taking it on and off for a year but daily since last September.  It helps with anxiety and muscle tightness.  I take it first thing in the morning and more during the day if needed but I rarely take more. 
    • Posted

Mine have always been ok upon waking but my anxiety would kick in wondering how long it would last and dreading the day.  I think that made my muscles tighten up and everything got worse.   

I also have allergies with issues and my bedroom is pet and allergen free.  When I went out into the other parts of the house I think it caused an allergy flare up in my ears. 

I don’t have typical allergy symptoms.  Just my ears. 

• Posted

And I am lucky enough to have both allergies and TMD.  I think the TMD part is mostly under control for the moment and It’s allergies causing the problems now.    I am taking allergy shots but wasn’t seeing as much improvement as I had hoped. The allergist told me that was normal because we are in mold season and the molds are the hardest to get rid of their allergy shots. He Said that hopefully by spring I will be a lot better.  

I am at a point where I can’t complain too much.   It took a lot of physical therapy, intraoral massage, splint therapy, dry needling, allergy medications and now allergy shots to get there.  

My ENT said if they aren’t cleared up completely after a year of allergy shots we can try the balloon dilation but they are tolerable so I doubt I will try for fear of making it worse.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.