Eustacian Tube Dysfunction! Argh!!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi! I've been suffering for around about a year now, and my goodness has this got me down. It's been life changing, and I'm desperate to get my life back! I used to enjoy so many things, travelling being one of them. Now due to my ear and the pressure that happen when I travel (even the smallest distances) I avoid it and that's really upsetting me. I just want to be me again! 

I have found a doctor who is finally referring me to ENT, but has warned me that ETD is a very tricky thing to cure.

I'm here to ask for help in coping, does anyone have any advice on how they deal with it? I've became so worried about it that it's become an obsession almost. Any positive stories or ways to deal with it day to day would be amazing, and so appreciated. 

Many thanks, Kirsty x 

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey all. This is my first time on here, on any forum for that matter. But I've run out of options. I have what I think to be ETD. it started after some dental extractions back in September, and has become progressively worse. I was curious though, I read all these blogs about people's experiences, but I do not see many people talking about ETD related ear infections. I've had 2 within 6 months, and am feeling like another one is starting. I've been on antibiotics twice, and I certainly do not want another round. Do you guys get these, could this not be ETD. i always feel congested and my left ear always feels full and rushing with liquid (sounds). I don't know what to do, can someone help......

• Posted

Eustachian Tube Dysfunction is the worse culprit for blocked ears.  Maybe, when you had your tooth extracted (was it the top tooth?) if so it could have aggravated your sinus.

You need to ask your doctor for a steroid based nasal spray to see if that will help.  Also try a decongestion

tablets.

Anne

• Posted

Thank you Anne for your reply. I've read some of your posts, and appreciate your willingness to help all those affected by this odd yet debilitating condition. I'm new to this whole thing, so forgive me but I have so many questions. I guess my first question is, has anyone beat this thing? I mean have you or anyone out there found a tride and true method to effectively eliminate future tube closures. I've had 2 ear infections and I'm sick of it, scared and don't know what to do. I truly believe my etd is dental related, being this all started after a tooth extraction. (one in top left near affected ear, and one lower wisdom.) of course dentist takes no blame and ent says it's unlikely. It's horrible living life everyday worried that your ear will act up, or if an infection forms. I'm losing the ability to be a normal human, a father, a friend, an employee. It's ruining everything. The only place that helps is the internet, but it doesn't physically help. Not to mention reading all the horror stories that lead to more stress. I just need ideas, answers, solutions. And sadly it seems like they're hard to come by.

• Posted

Morning,

There are procedures that can be given.  One is having tubes inserted into eardrum (we cll them grommets in England) these always work well in children who suffer glue ear.  Balloon Dilation is

the other procedure.  Some on the Forum have been successful, while others haven't.  My ENT

consultant won't do these after my serious illness due to ENT.

For all those that live in England, luckily they're able to request the same mecication I'm currently

using and it's certainly helped me.  Almost forty years of suffering ENT is dreadful.  Like I posted

the other day.  Watch a programme on television where a man had an implant in his head to allow him to hear......amazing !! however something as simple as blocked ears seems to baffle them.

I know what causes mine, allergies and sinusitis and Rhinitis.  something now I've learnt to live with.

But equally so happy at the moment it seems under control.  Usually my left ear is the worse, but

lately the right one is now playing up too.  I used the Nasules last night and that was the first time in

a week.

Try not to stress Tylee, as that only makes matter worse....easy to say, but so hard to do, as ETD

is the most miserable condition and affects our lives so badly.

Anne

• Posted

Well finally got to the ENT today. He saw fluid in my ears, and there was negative pressure, or no negative pressure in my ears. Meaning ETD.. they saw no infection. But I don't know.. I feel really off, almost dizzy. He prescribed me the steroid prednisone. Had anyone tried this steroid. Will it help reduce the inflammation or open my tubes to drain this fluid....

• Posted

Morning Tylee,  Wondering how many he's given you in the course of Prednisolone.  I've used these tablets quite a lot over the years with my ETD.  They certainly work, but when ears have been blocked for a long time, in my own experience I need a longer course than is usually prescribed.  I'm given a 20 day reducing course.  I was given them last year in April.  The pressure of the fluid (mucus) had built up so badly it perforated my left eardrum.  My ENT consultant then used miscrosuction through the tiny hole and sucked the mucus out....felt wonderful after that procedure.  Sadly, suffering allergies and sinusitis after a while the mucus builds back up again.  One mustn't take steroids too often, due to potential side affects.  I've had to take them approximately every other year.  However, I think I've got on top of my ETD with the Flixonase Nasule Drops I've been using since finishing the Prednisolone.  I only now use them when my ears block up, which now is only once a week.  I then administer the Nasule drops, give the ears a gentle pop and I'm then good for another week....so only using the steroid drops once a week, which is good.  Smell and taste back too, now all the inflammation has gone.  The Prednisolone takes away all the inflammation that swells our tubes, then allowing the mucus to drain.

Wishing you good luck and hope the steroid tablets work for you.  You'll probably find they will prevent you from sleeping, one side affect, but once off them sleep will resume to normal.  Being on them for almost 3 weeks last year, I couldn't suffice my appetite and gained 3lbs, but again once they were finished, went back to normal.

Regards

Anne

• Posted

Thanks Anne for your help through this. Question for you. What mg prednisone have you used. They gave me 50 mg which I feel is high. Also through all your experience with ETD did you ever have slight dizziness, headaches.
    • Posted

Morning.  my Pred were 5mg tablets, however, having to take six in one go would make the total daily mg as 30mg, which I'd have to take for 5 days, then start reducing.   4 tablets a day being 5mg each etc etc. Is that making sense ?

Explain, is each tablet 50mg ?  didn't think they came that high.  It's the amount you have to take in one go is the mg.  

Dizziness and headaches are part and parcel, yes.

Anne

• Posted

Good morning Anne. Well I was prescribed 50mg tabs once a day for five days. Each tab is 50mg. My pills were scored so I cut them in half and have been taking 25mg. I've taken one dose, doesn't seem to be doing much. But as for the headache question, I ask because I've read so many articles, and forums and there is plenty of talk about how uncomfortable this condition is, but not about exact symptoms. I have prettyadssive headaches, not everyday, but pretty regularly. I am fully congested, nasal, head and ears almost lol the time. Sharp pains in ears some of the time, not regularly. I'm so confused, so uncomfortable. I'm always living on this terrifying edge of, is it infected, is this normal, will it go away, do I need to see a doctor. I can't go to a doctor everyday or even every month, so it's just infuriating. I feel dizzy, not bad but just off. Like brain fog. It's hard to concentrate and be a part of society when I can barley focus on anything except how my head feels. I wish I could just walk into a doctor and get everything tested and resolved in a day, but we all know that's impossible. I'm awaiting allergy blood test now, that will tell us more. After that I'm not sure we're to turn.

• Posted

Hi again,

What country are you in ?

I know just how you feel, as there aren't many days I don't get a headache.....neck and shoulders painful and the occipital bones either side at the bottom of our heads is so tender and painful at times.

All the tests you're waiting for will undoubtedly some back clear.....I've had them all over the years.

Blocked ears is the most miserable condition to suffer and I agree, how badly it affects all our lives.  Just go back and read my first message, as I don't like repeating myself, as I'm sure other people on the Forum think that is all I do.

One woman was so rude because all I recommended people was what has helped me....she thought I was a rep for the medication.  Really nasty comment to make, she even said the Forum should take me off.  I would love everyone suffering from ETD to enjoy the relief I'm getting right now.

If you do live in England, you'll most certainly be able to get the same meds I'm using.

I will just add one thing.  Please take the Prednisolone the way your doctor has prescribed, they won't hurt you and you won't be on them indefinitely, like a lot of people have to be.  Take the 50mg other wise cutting them in half may not work....shouldn't mess around with these tablets.

Regards

Anne

• Posted

Hi Anne. I live in the US.. Florida. We do not have the flixonase. We have flonase or rhinocort. About the prednisone, my ent said I could cut it in half, being they are scored. I was scared to take the larger dose. Also I feel like I'm fighting a cold, and I hear prednisone can hinder our bodies from fighting infection. So it has me worried. I appreciate your advice on this matter and don't think your up to anything malicious. I hope I can find an answer soon. It's hard to deal with all this at once.

• Posted

I understand.  My nephew is a pharmacist in the US and I ask him for someone else on the Forum if you could get the Nasules....answer was NO....what a shame.  I've used Rhinocort for many years before changing to Flixonase spray.  Strange thing I found about going on to the spray after a course of prednisolone, I lost my smell and taste.  The Pred gave it to me back and after 3 weeks of using spray it went again.  However, the Nasules being stronger I've had the senses back since last April.  I can't wait to see my consultant next Wednesday to see what he thinks.

Hopefully, you're not getting a cold, as that will make matters so much worse with making a lot of mucus, that will get into your tubes.  Take high dose Vit C and gargle with salt water too.  Try and head it off.  I consider myself so lucky, I rarely catch colds.  And the bad outbreak of flu, so far been lucky with that too.  Our immune systems are only compromised if you're on the Pred for a very long time, like months and months and in my friends case with Rheumatoid Arthritis, years and years.  Quick resonably short courses like I have every other year, or two, I think is ok.  Get yourself on a good multivitamin too.  I take them and put that down to never catching colds....hope i haven't spoken too soon LOL.

If I were in your position I really thinkto make sure the pred does it's job I'd take it whole....but it's down to you.  It would be rotten if they didn't end uo working.  I never feel the benefit for at least 2 weeks, so don't be in too much of a hurry.

Anne

• Posted

Well Anne it's been a while. Just a little update. I've just got my 3rd ear infection in 6 months. I'm on an antibiotic and prednisone still... Don't know what to do.. I feel defeated, l8ke this is my life forever... Not sure what to do next.. I've tried it all... How many ear infections have you had in the course of this thong.. Have they subsided over time? Do yo8u always take anti bs.. This sucks big time

• Posted

Hello again Tyee and thanks for the update.

Well, not sure whether I gave you this info in my last post to you....but I'll repeat

in case I didn't.  I'm speaking to so many on the Forum, I forget who I've told what.

Over the years I experienced so many ear infections and been on lots of courses

of antibiotics too.  However, since April 2017 I seem to have got on top of this

wretched complaint.  I finished the 20 day reducing course in April last year,

then used a 6 weeks course of the Fixonase Nasule Nose Drops (which I don't

think are availble in any other country bar England, which is where I am.

My smell and taste has returned and my ears only block up now approximately

every 6/7 days....I then put the drops up, give a gently squeeze of nostils, they

pop and I'm good for another week.

I've seen my ENT consultant (I see him twice yearly) after i told him how I see

to have cracked my problem, he was amazed and said keep doing what I'm

doing.  He couldn't see any polyps up nostrils either.  He sent me for a hearing

test, as I've told him that it's 5 years this year since I've taken a holiday broad,

due to ETD.  I was hearing the high pitched sounds, but missing the low ones.

The technician even did a test  on my mastoid bone behind the ear and took a

pressure test.  Back to my consultants room, he told me that I would have

trouble with ears blocking up if I flew, however, using the Nasule drops I woud

probably be able to pop them again.  Still very wary of flying though !!

So that's it for another 6 months when he will check me out again.

If you've been given a long enough course of Pednisolone plus antibiotics,

I don't understand why your ears are still blocked.  Do you try and pop then

for yourself ??

A part from ear infections over the years I've had 6 perforations in my left

eardrum over 15 months....hole is nicely healed over now thought, but I

imagine it is left scared.

I really hope you start to soon feel better Tylee and wish I could offer more

assistance to help you out....I'm stumped I'm afraid.  You may now need

surgery and try Balloon Dilation or tubes inserted into your drums.  I really

don't think that there are any other options.

Best wishes

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.