Every 6 months an attack should I do surgery?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis 2 years ago, my last 6s flare ups clear up with antibiotics very little pain in between episodes. Dr. Recommended surgery, so my thoughts I want to avoid surgery... Is there anyone with multiple episodes managing the condition.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

May I ask the reasoning they are talking about taking it out if you don't have pain between episodes? I have pretty much constant pain and ct shows narrowing and that is why I have been told to have a resection. I am interested to see what others post.

• Posted

Dr. says too many episodes calls for surgery. I just want to control it and live with it. Curious if other people went this way.
    • Posted

Each time you have an attack it's causing more damage to your colon.  You're also taking the risk that it can kill you. 

• Posted

I get about 2 flare ups a year.  I’m in US.  Doctor does not recommend surgery at this time.  Said keep yourself open and avoid what bothers you.  No seeds, no nuts and watch raw veggies and hard to digest meats. I sometimes cheat a little on all but really try tone careful.
    • Posted

Also a fear I have is you will not know how much has to be removed until they are doing the surgery.

My feeling is that if you have repeated attacks one after another close to each as in one every month Or 6 weeks you should explore surgery as an option but if only several times a year as in 2 or 3 you should be cautious not to get it unless you get several opinions. 

• Posted

I was diagnosed two years ago in sept. Had repetitive episodes, sept, nov, dec and may. When I had the May episode my GI doc said surgery was my only option. I declined and have been doing everything I can to control this and am happy to say that I have just passed a year with no flare ups. I watch what I eat, take a probiotic every day and benfiber and so far so good. 
  • Posted

I was averaging 1 attack a month. Actually had a reprieve last summer where I lasted 7 months attack free. Did have to go to the doctors a couple times because I could feel an attack coming. Diverticulitis affects everyone different and will regulate your life. After my 14+ attack my doctors finally referred me for sigmoid colectomy surgery.  I'm 2 weeks out and am thankful I made the decision to get it done.  Yes I won't lie the surgery is excruciating but now I will never worry if the next attack would kill me (in my case, yes), I can now travel and not have to be close to a hospital, eat whatever I  want, & most of all not have to live with the constant nausea and pain.  I'm only 2 weeks out of surgery  (eating soft diet because I'm still afraid to eat anything else until my 6 week mark) even though my surgeon said I could eat anything I wanted.  All the Diverticulitis nausea and pain is gone.

• Posted

No thank God.  Because they took out only 4", I will be pretty much like normal with no restrictions once I completely heal. Can't tell yet because I'm still swollen but will have minimal indentation on my side. At least I'm alive.

• Posted

This is so helpful both sides of the spectrum. I am seeing my GI in two weeks. I'll keep reading comments then hopefully have an informed decision.

• Posted

Hi,

As you can see everyone’s story is different. I have had 6 attacks in 2 yrs with months of trying to recover! I finally had surgery 6 weeks ago and feel pretty good. My surgery was done robotically , was up walking the same day . I was released 48 hours later.  I would do it again!

It was explained to me that with each flare your risk goes up for another attack! I didn’t realize how sick I was! I’m finally getting an appetite back  and the pain and nausea are gone.

Good luck with your decision

Kate

• Posted

I ended up with the open surgery. Because of as you said each attack causes more and more damage to the colon. My surgeon wanted and did go through my whole colon to make sure there were no stray pockets.  I definitely had angels on my shoulders that day. Je was amazed how healthy my colon was until he got to the sigmoid.  I had so many pockets they literally formed a huge pocket with a ton of scar tissue which if I hadn't had the surgery I would have been dead within months.  They removed only 4". The surgery pain was excruciating but definitely worth it.  I didn't want to live a life of pain and suffering along with knowing the next time could easily been my last. It's only been 2 weeks but I feel so much better.  Diverticulitis is not to mess around with.  No one should live a life of fear.

• Posted

I’ve pretty much learned that they don’t do bags for this kind of surgery any more unless in rare cases. If you can “stomach” it, watch a video of laparoscopic colon resection on YouTube. It’s amazing. They poke this thing up your butt and the other side in the end of the colon, and then they screw them together. It binds the colon back together with a sort of “stapley” mechanism, and then later, the “stapley thing” harmlessly comes out in your poo. It’s amazing. They also do a test of blowing air into your ass and colon before they close you up to make sure there’s no air leaks (ie. a badly sealed colon).

So they really have this stuff down to precision it seems. I’d still rather not get it done, but it seems that if you do, you generally don’t have to count on getting “a bag” any more. 

• Posted

Prior to my surgery I did ask  simply because colon cancer runs in my family and my Dad has had a bag for years. The medical field has advanced so much that it is rare for bags. My surgeon said the only reason a bag would be used is if the patient was going through a flare up, then it's temporary. 

• Posted

My neighbour had a bag for a few months but she did not know she had DD and on her first attack it ruptured. But she is fine now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.