Every 6 months an attack should I do surgery?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis 2 years ago, my last 6s flare ups clear up with antibiotics very little pain in between episodes. Dr. Recommended surgery, so my thoughts I want to avoid surgery... Is there anyone with multiple episodes managing the condition.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am glad bags are not called for as often any longer. That is good news!
  • Posted

Don't be afraid of the surgery! I didn't have a choice, I had diverticuli that had ruptured December 22, 2017, and I ended up in the hospital for 13 days with sepsis. I had emergency, life saving surgery. It all happened so fast. I started feeling sick after supper on December 22, 2017. The pain escalated throughout the night, and by the next morning the pain was so intense I couldn’t walk. My husband took me to emergency in the morning where they immediately did blood work and found that my white blood cell count was 22, whereas my normal is 4.  After a CT scan in the afternoon they found I had several diverticuli, and that one had ruptured. I was in sepsis. By 6:00 that night they were prepping me for surgery. I was told if they did not do the surgery I would die. My body was already starting to swell, meaning my kidneys were shutting down.

By 7:30 I was in surgery.  Prior to surgery they warned me that depending on what they found I might have to have a colostomy bag. Thankfully it was a laparoscopic surgery. They cleaned up my abdominal cavity and I did not need a bag. I, however, did need a JP bag to assist in draining the infection. On January 4th I was released from the hospital. Even though I was discharged I remained on strong antibiotics with a pic line until January 20, 2018.

On the morning of Wednesday January 10th I started having pain again. Luckily I already had a follow up appointment scheduled with my surgeon on Thursday. He suspected that the diverticuli that had ruptured was going to burst again. So he scheduled a CT scan for first thing Friday morning. The CT scan confirmed his suspicion. I was immediately admitted to the hospital. They administered laxatives to clean me out and I, once again, was rushed in for emergency surgery at 10:00 the next morning. I had my second surgery on January 13, 2018, where I had my entire sigmoid removed (18”). This time I had an open surgery with a 9” incision which started just above my belly button and went down.

The crazy part of my story is that I didn’t even know I had Diverticulitis! I had mild discomfort in my lower left side about 9 months prior to this incident that sent me to the walk-in clinic. The GP there thought maybe it was a slight blockage in my colon or maybe my ovary. He told me to try some laxatives to see if that would help. When I ended up in ER on December 23rd I was completely flabbergasted with my diagnosis, as I didn’t have any huge precursor warnings. .  Not going to sugar-coat the recovery process. It was a long one. Having 2 emergency surgeries 3 weeks apart was not easy. After reading so many other testimonies I feel blessed things happened so fast. Within 3 weeks of my diagnosis I had everything dealt with. I have since had a colonoscopy and was given a clean bill of health. No more diverticulitis and no cancer! I don’t have to worry that an attack will happen again.

Even though it was all very traumatic, and yes I put my family through the emotional ringer, I wouldn’t change how things transpired and turned out. We now call it the year we missed Christmas, lol. But, thankfully, God gave me the greatest Christmas gift of all, more time on this earth. From my perspective quality of life is so important and worth the short sacrifice of surgery and recovery in the long run! Please keep us posted on what you decide to do! 

• Posted

I have a similar story. Colonoscopy revealed 3 pockets, 1 was inflamed.  Told by my doctor. ....oh don't worry, just watch what you eat. .....I was constantly ill between the Diverticulitis and the antibiotics.  Not getting better, healing process was not happening.  Went through this for less than  18 months, 14+ confirmed attacks. I'm 2 weeks out of having open sigmoid colectomy surgery and feel like I can have a life. I was fortunate that my colon was healthy except the sigmoid area where there were so many pockets, scar tissue they only had to remove 4 ".  The scar tissue actually saved me from the abscess and perforations poison from getting into my system.  You're right, the surgery is no picnic but it saved my life. 

• Posted

I forgot one more thing. One of the things to keep in mind while trying to make your decision is your health. So I decided to get better after the last attack. If you are well when you have your surgery you reduce your risk of complications and less likely to end up with a colostomy. Read Tammy’s story.

Best of luck!

Kate

• Posted

Been flare free for three years. I do not eat nuts, corn, seeds and I peel anything with skins. Severely limit insoluble fiber food. Soluble fiber is fine and a dose of Miralax a day per doctor. Keep a food diary.
    • Posted

That’s what I do too!  Have you gained weight?  It’s hard not to with basically eating carbs.
    • Posted

I first lost 25 lbs quickly. Couldn't eat but a couple spoon fulls of food. Found it was also complication of scar tissue blockage which backed me up and it would inflame my stomach.  And yes I stuck with the soft, no skins diet.  As I started feeling better,  yes I was starving and ate more than I should.  Stick it in your brain eat no more than the size of your fist. Supposedly your stomach is that size. My weight would fluctuate up and down about 5-8 lbs.

• Posted

I haven't really gained that much weight but found that the things that I used to eat to fill myself up I can no longer do that. Like lots of raw veggies. I do still eat a salad I just watch what I put on it. And I dearly miss eating berries. I just stay away from anything tough and fibrous. I was two weeks away from having surgery when the doctor mentioned the word stoma. I hit the brakes and thought I'm going to try to handle this myself strictly with diet. They are very quick in the United States to do surgery but not so much in the UK from what I've read on this forum. The gastro doc I see said he very rarely suggests surgery. The only people that suggest surgery are the surgeons! Good luck!

• Posted

I am with you on the handling it with diet if possible. I find I can only eat small amounts of food now but I do eat salad and berries as my GI says it really doesn’t make much diffference except when you are in the throws of an attack. So I eat blueberries and lots of fresh fruit and veggies to keep my fiber intake up!!! I also take benefiber three times a day and a probiotic. My GI says the key is to keep your Bowels moving and avoid constipation which stresses those pockets. I do avoid nuts!

• Posted

I feel like you do but I miss good heathy raw veggies so I fill up with carbs which land on my waistline lol.

my surgeon said if you want surgery I’ll do it but I don’t think you need it at this time. So I’m not doing anything but watching the nuts, seeds and skins plus hard to digest meats.🙂

• Posted

A permanent stoma is very rare. It depends on where and how many pockets you have.  A doctor wouldn't recommend surgery unless it's needed. I had a sigmoid colectomy 2 weeks ago, had a cathedor and a drain tube. Both were removed the day before I was released.  I would do the surgery again just to get rid of the Diverticulitis.  Each attack you have causes more damage to your colon.  As for salad, that's one of the worst things you can eat right now because it's too hard to digest.

• Posted

I have not had a flare for 3 years so feel safe eating salads. ifI were in the middle of a flare I would not eat a salad. As far as the stoma, goes even a temporary one wasn't acceptable. I think I've been successful controlling this disease by my diet. Thankfully avoiding surgery.

• Posted

Do a search on soluble versus insoluble foods and that will help. I know I still eat some insoluble stuff but I don't go overboard on it. My last flare I could point to really really tough potato skins. Which I love but won't eat anymore.

• Posted

I am in the U. S. I am

starting by cleaning my system of process foods, hopefully loose some weight this way. I am setting an appointment with the nutricionist before my G. I. I want to compansate the lack of raw veggies. I have gain 20 lbs since my G. I gave me the diverticulitis no list.I am not sure how many pockets I have I guess that's the question for the surgeon. Then we will see.

• Posted

I would be curious to see what is on the no list given to you by a doctor as doctors are now saying it doesn't matter what you eat. Although many sufferers on this form would beg to differ!

• Posted

There are two schools of thought on this Dr. that says you can eat everything and the ones that give u a diet. After my third Dr. I found my current Dr. He says no raw vegetables, no penunts, almonds, strawberries, popcorn, chips ad all kinds. Raw Juices he took away because of the residue. Following this I go w no pain between episodes. Gained weight though, but pain free.
    • Posted

I think based on everything we read here and everything I have been reading since I was diagnosed and what I have been told by my physicians that one things is apparent. They really don’t have the answers on what causes it or what you should or shouldn’t eat so I think everyone has to do what works for them. It’s frustrating but you can tell by what everyone says they can’t or can eat that it’s very different for all of us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.