Excessive bleeding immediately after UFE. It’s the fourth week

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

I had my UFE 4 weeks ago and started bleeding two days after it wasn't bad about 1-2 pads a day for 2 weeks . From then it has gotten to 4-5 super pads a day with clots passing . I've talked to my radiologist and she said it should go away in 4 weeks. Its passed 4 weeks. Still bleeding. Will see her again in a few days but has anyone experienced this? What is the solution? I fear I'll bleed to death if this goes on.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hey @shivani97104, firstly you're not going to bleed to death 😃 Secondly, this is part of the healing which the consultants or online info about post UTE journey they don't tell you about.

I had my UTF at the end of June 2018 . I didn't stop having heavy periods for several weeks after this included clots as well.

Once the period of heavy bleeding stopped. i started to bleed every 17 or days for about 5 days. The first few days very rough.

I also started to get a lot of lower back pain some days i couldnt even move.

Then the discharging started and that didn't stop until 3 weeks ago (i'm not joking). I have been through 600 pads (so stock up) The discharging stopped and then I expelled 2 big fibroids (no joke) right into the toilet. The discharge is the fibroids breaking down (this is a good thing).

Be encouraged. Eat as healthily as you can, stock up on pads and drugs. Also monitor your bleeding, pain levels and discharge. If you start smelling anything fishy go immediately to your doctor as you might have an infection. I was extremely paranoid and watchful about this.

this is just my experience. Yours may be different. IF something doesnt feel right with your body go to the hospital and get it checked out. i took myself to the hospital twice in the first 6 weeks after the procedure.

All the best doll, this is just the start. My consultant told me 4-6 weeks to heal. it has taken 6 months for the discharge to stop. I'm mindful of what my next cycle will be like. ... I pray not too bad....

much love xoxo

ps keep us posted

• Posted

Thank you SKIM I was just feeling so dejected . This helps.

• Posted

Dear SKIM , am on week 9 after ufe. I did not experience bleeding but discharge and at some point was smelly, thankfully it was not because of infection but a dying fibroid which I expelled at week 7 after terrible abdominal pain.

I still use reusable pads for the discharges and that saves me plenty of $$. I know its not for everyone but they helped a lot too during my heavy bleeding before ufe.

Wishing you the best in your next Ps.

• Posted

Hiee....just read through ur post....I have a doubt...Is UTF same as UFE? I never heard about the fibroid getting expelled out of ones body...Its so uplifting....Coud u pls let me know , which doc were u consulting?

Much Thanks

Susy

• Posted

I understand, its an ongoing experience that the light at the end the end of the tunnel seems so far away. How I reconcile this in my head is that - i didn't get here over night. it and so i wont get healed over night....

Mediating helped with my anxiety and stress,.Hormones, particularly estrogen, are one of the leading causes of fibroid development and growth. So monitor the foods that eat. Also try and be as active as your body allows. This is by far not an easy journey at all mentally, physically or emotionally. Nevertheless hang in there xoxo

• Posted

Hey

they are the same. I'm based in the UK and so used our free NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE -NHS so a part from my regular GP, I saw several different consultants so honestly cant even remember their names. Not very responsible of me I know. But it was just so hard and a huge fight to even have my symptoms followed up. So many appointments. Because i had an on going issue, i couldnt even get insurance to go private so just untilised our free service the best way I could.

So, expelling the fibroids happened for me whilst weeing. But leading up to that was several hours of pain. At one point i thought i was having a baby! I'm not even being dramatic, the pain was the worst and had me in all sorts of positions and breathing the way ive seen mothers to be do. i have never been pregnant so this was a bit worrying. Then went to the toilet and they just slide out...right into the bowel. No pain but i could tell something was happening below just didnt know what.

hope that helps

xoxo

• Posted

SKIM, I'm in the US and going through my insurance but things aren't any better despite that. No one told me that the recovery on the back end would be that long. Shouldn't they give a best and worst case scenario so you can make an informed decision? I was worried about the recovery time in a hysterectomy being 4 weeks so I chose this. I got back to work but all I'm afraid of is passing a huge clot and my clothes getting soiled. This is while I'm on the pill. I dont know when I stop it next week what kind of mayhem will ensue. I was anemic so this seemed to me a good option to not loose blood. That was nonsense with 4 +weeks of bleeding even before my cycle starts. I am seeing my Radiologist tomorrow and if she does not give me a clear answer I'm getting a hysterectomy done.

Good luck with your recovery I hope this cycle is less for you.

• Posted

I had UFE did not work for me i was ok with bleeding first few months then got worse now had hysterectomy best choice ever. Hope it settles for you x

• Posted

Dear Amanda, so sorry to hear that UFE did not help you. Did you get an infection, did the Dr say why you had heavy bleeding.

How is the hyster recovery.

Thanks

• Posted

that will be the next option for me if the UFE doesn't work. What was recovery like for you?

thank you for sharing

xoxo

• Posted

that will be the next option for me if the UFE doesn't work. What was recovery like for you?

thank you for sharing

xoxo

• Posted

I had no infection. They think maybe they did not cut off all the supplies to the fibroid. I took this option because i thought recovery would be quick and i would not need much time off work. Luckily had a hysterectomy by keyhole surgery and was only off work for 4 weeks and great recovery my original surgeon said abdominal then he left and a new consultant did keyhole. Nice to have no more bleeding i was also on Zoladex injection before my hysterectomy so this shrunk the fibroid too x

• Posted

Amanda, I have a feeling I might have to do that. No one told me that the recovery on the back end would be this long. My reason for getting a UFE was that the recovery time was less and my bleeding would get better in 2-3 cycles. This looks like a very long road and I dont need to loose any more blood.

• Posted

I had keyhole and the recovery was fast i went back after 4 weeks off work, totally get it done you do not have to worry about the bleeding anymore this is the best part. My fibroid was inside my womb but i was bleeding really heavy. I have kept my ovaries and no menopause issues yet.

• Posted

Well it did not work for me, after i had it done i was still bleeding for 5 days every 10 days so did not make a difference to me, my fibroid was inside my womb and i got told would work great because of were my fibroid was but it did not work. Had my hysterectomy in October last year so no more bleeding.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing Amanda. You've educated me some more!

All the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.