Excessive bleeding with nexplanon implant, what should I do?

Posted , 24 users are following.

I got my nexplanon implant last September, i had a small amount of bleeding for a few weeks afterwards, but this soon stopped and I was really happy with how I was getting on, I hadn't been getting any periods at all. I got my period then again in January for a few days, a heavy period, not just small staining like before. 2and a half weeks ago I got my period again, and have been having a heavy flow ever since. I'm beginning to feel really uncomfortable from this constant bleeding and totally drained and tired all the time. I know it's normal to bleed with the implant, but this seems like a bit too much? What should I do?

4 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI I got the nexplanon implant last march, so I've nearly had it for a year now. I didn't have periods for most of last year, but when they started again they would go on for nearly 2 weeks. They seem to be regulating abit more now, still heavier than normal and last longer. I think you have to give your body time to get used to the implant and then it starts to settle down. The tiredness you have might be anemia due to the blood loss, maybe take some iron supplements or speak to your doctor 

• Posted

I had the nexplanon implant for the full 3 years and just had it removed in January since it was time. The first year I had no period. The 2nd year I had a period that was longer and heavier then my normal period which was usually 5 days. Then it just got worse unfortunately. I had MONTH long periods, very heavy, I was always tired and I gain the most weight that I've ever had ever. I asked my doctor about it and we tried 3 months worth of birth control (Quasense) to try and regulate my periods. That didin't work either, I ended up not even taking the 3rd months worth because it wasn't helping. So by then it was about time for it to be removed. So now I am trying out Mirena. I would ask your doctor possibly to possibly try birth control pills to regulate it. Just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it might not for you. I know they always say it takes 3 to 6 months for your body to really know what it will be like with having different birth control. Good luck to you!

• Posted

The exact same thing just happened to me. I ended up in the emergency room two days ago because of how much I was bleeding. This was the second implant I received so the first one, it was great, I stopped having my period or it would be very light, towards the end of the 3 year term, i started getting my period a bit more heavier, which didn't concern me too much, so I decided to implant a second one. With this new one, the periods would last longer and would be heavier and heavier. Last week when I got my period, it was so heavy that I had to change my overnight pad every 30 minutes... I was very tired, which now I know it was me being light headed and it was very hard to catch my breath. I finally went to the urgent care and they told me that I needed to head over to the emergency room because I had lost too much blood and my red blood cells count was low, at this point, I needed a blood transfusion. This whole experience has been pretty scary and I hope who ever reads this gets their blood tested because I ended up with a sever anemic diagnosis. My doctor suggested going on the birth control pills to regulate my period moving forward... I'm currently on very expensive medication to try to stop my period so that I don't lose any more blood.... reading the other comments, I would not recommend this birth control to anyone. especially if you suffer from anemia or other related conditions.

• Posted

Thanks for this information, this has really put my mind at ease as I have been going crazy, I even had my smear test earlier because I thought I was going crazy with mine, I have had it in for 2years and it's due out in April next year, I had no bleed the first year in a half than it all started, the spotting, the periods for 2 weeks then on and off days of bleeding, at present I'm just ready to take mind out because I'm sick and tired of it, I'm even waiting to have a scan to ensure there isn't any other cause.

• Posted

My periods come for 2 weeks gone for 2 weeks then back on for 2 weeks with random spotting in between. I'm currently on my longest cycle of 3 weeks of bleeding. Had my implant since 9/29/17. I have an appt for 8/16 to discuss options with doctor. I would had to keep it and take pills to regulate my period but I still have other issues the implant could be causing. I have noticed since I've been on it, I'm moody with depression that comes and go and chest pains on my left side. I'm not the healthiest but im not lazy either lol. So I'm curious as it what kind of scan are you waiting for and what symptoms have you had that you feel the need to be scanned for? Oh and I have had a constant pain in ovary area...like minor cramps but sometimes sharp, only on the left and right side, not in the middle as if a regular cycle. Almost like feeling when you are ovulating but painful. If that make sense. I last had a check up at the end of january and everything was fine. But I feel the need to be checked, ultrasound even. Idk, I'm anxious about addressing these body changes to my doctor, to the point I even thought of finding a new doctor that can take me sooner.

• Posted

I first updated this post 7 months ago, I was so drained, constantly tired from the huge amounts of blood loss, I was out of work for 2 weeks because of a low iron count in my blood and I was in the worst mood all of the time, constantly crying. I spoke top my doctor and i decided to have the implanon removed, and honestly, it was like an instant relief the moment it was gone i felt so much better, I have since just been using condoms, and honestly I don't mind because I am so much happier. The implanon didn't work for me, but that's not to say it wont work for others. I'm glad I tried it, at least now I know it doesn't suit me, and I will never use it again. 

• Posted

I'm currently experiencing the same issue, I've been menstruating for 3 weeks now with no sign of it ending. I'm due to have my nexplanon removed Dec. 5th and wanted to know will my periods immediately return back to normal?

• Posted

Unfortunately I can't answer that....I went immediately to the Mirena IUD the same day as getting the Nexplanon taken out. Maybe the other ladies can help answer that.

• Posted

The 1st implant I ever took out definitely made things go back to normal as within a week I had a normal period, but it also depends on your body as everyone isn't the same. How did it work out in the end

• Posted

I have had mine for almost 6 years and my periods are horrible! They last for nearly 3 months and they are a heavy flow, the pain of them is so bad that sometimes it feels like someone stabbed me in my stomach. It’s so bad that I am to the point of having them remove them and start a different birth control. Don’t get me wrong this is a great birth control but I’m not sure if it is worth the pain and keep up. 
    • Posted

I definetly agree with you. The pain sucks and i cant ever do anything with my bf, because my period is always on...
    • Posted

The pain is terrible I have had my implant for a year and half. I have been bleeding for a month straight just when I think it might be regulating it does this again. I made an appointment to get it removed Thursday morning
  • Posted

I get my Nexplanon removed in November ...its been the most horrible 3 years of my life...I went one year w/out a period and basically thwse last 2...its been on consistently....and HEAVY...always tires..and drained...low iron as a result of blood loss...ive never had severe period pains. .when I got on. Nexplanon...my pain felt like labor...I have 2 kids...i labored in my back with my first..i am currently up right now because my back pain...i havent gotten any weight gain..im just tired...
  • Posted

I have had the implant previously but had it taken out in 2013 two kids later I got another one in around 4 weeks ago I started my period literally the next day and still have them the flow seems to settle as if there stopping then boom I’m back to having a heavy period I cannot remember my previous times having the implant having this problem, it’s a nightmare the period pains are horrific also.
  • Posted

So I've been on it for about 2 years now it's gotten to the point where there is never a time where I don't have a heavy flow pad on I have no pain and I'm grateful for that but it's been 3 straight mounts that I've been bleeding I went to the hospital a while back when it first started happening they gave me a round pill case with blue pills alot like normal birth control and the pills worked. Only thing is after a while I started getting awful stomach pain and feeling sick constantly when I took them. I have another appointment coming up soon I will see if anything comes out of it . But the doctor told me if you are beeding alot it's not your . he informed me that something was thinning and the blood was caused buy a tear and the pills they gave me contain estrogen which was supposed to help. But it didn't make sense to me why it was bleeding so much surely if something was torn inside I would need medical attention right but they told me it was normal maybe if you guys go and get some estrogen it will help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.