Excessive Swelling and Very Slow Progress in Rehab

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

Nearly 12 weeks out from total knee replacement and the swelling is ridiculous. My doctor says it should start to subside, but I see no signs of that.  Just starting my second six weeks x 3 times a week session of physical therapy and this swelling really affects my therapy.  Anyone have this issue?  At this point I cannot imagine this knee ever feeling even somewhat normal.

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Are you using your ice packs regularly and elevating it higher than your hip? Also, are you taking anti inflammatory’s? 
    • Posted

Hi, I also had trouble with swelling and felt it affected my PT especially trying to getting ROM. It's tough. There are some on here who might know better but I wonder if in addition to ice elevating etc... If you might be overworking knee keeping it inflamed. It needs rest I believe as well. I still have a little swelling at 6 mos. it has taken me a long time to get it to go away but when I have rested knee it has a chance to unswell some then I would work it. I discovered this by acciident. I was unable to work out 1 day and noticed swelling improved. Then I began again and noticed the difference in not having so much swelling. I went to PT 2x a week for almost 5 mos. Hated it lol BUT now on my own swelling under control and I still do heel slides and lots of walking mixed with other exercises but all is improving. So there is HOPE it will improve. I wish you all the best!

• Posted

Yes, I am elevating it and icing whenever possible.  I am back at work.  I have a desk job, but , even ice and elevate at work. 
    • Posted

I agree about the over working...rest is vital as well as exercise.

Great things are improving for you! Sometimes when the pressure is off and we can chill a bit things happen naturally! 😀

• Posted

Hi Robin-

Sounds like we are in the same boat.  I tell my therapist all the time that the swelling is affecting my ROM.    The only time I notice the swelling going down is like on a Monday morning when I have spent the ENTIRE weekend icing and elevating!

• Posted

I have definitely found this to be my experience! smile I still have a ways to go but I am improving ~ I am on the slower side probably but I don't mind cause i see incremental changes 

• Posted

Exactly! Then you can work it at your own pace pushing when you can without lots of pain and be in control. Your PT sounds very aggressive so was mine I was so relieved when insurance stopped and I was on my own. Take breaks listen to your body it will guide you. Best wishes cuz it does get better.
  • Posted

The tourniquet they use in surgery not only stops blood flow but seriously affects the lymph system drainage. Google lymph drainage.

The more activity you do, the more it swells. So frequent, smaller amouts of activity are better. Definitely elevate higher than heart level as much as you can and this will help drain the extra fluid. But over time, it should be less n less. Even after 15mo, my left ankle gets a tiny bit puffy after standing for 12hrs.

• Posted

Hi Paula , same here except 14 weeks out . Still swollen , stiff , pain and PT 3 x a week. Dr says same as yours, and that I am just unfortunate and maybe by 6 months I will see relief.  I am so frustrated. I feel your pain.... good luck 
    • Posted

Hi Marie,

I am so incredibly frustrated too.  I talked to so many people who just sailed through this recovery including my own sister and my father-in-law who was much older than me when he had the surgery.  Makes me wonder what’s wrong with me.  The thought of doing this again makes me ill to say the least.

• Posted

I thought there was something wrong with me bc I’ve sailed through every surgery I’ve ever had like a champ.  . .TKR was the most painful horrific procedure I’ve ever had.  Went to PT 4 months.  Knee could bend but couldn’t get to zero on flexion.  Then I feel on both knees on hard floor after 6 months.  Now knee cannot bend, but I can straighten it.  And now along with continued pain in right knee, left knee burning and hurting and calves weak.   Get spasms while I’m sleeping.  I’m not going through it again.  I do the best I can under the circumstances.  After walking or not walking, they still ache and stiffen up.  I feel almost like I did on the first day I was made to walk.  Very bad, traumatic experience.

i envy those who love their new knees.   Hate mine.

• Posted

I feel the same way Paula - 90% of the people I talk to or in PT have had no swelling and like you said sailed through it ... and I feel like its the worst decision I have ever made ..I hope we both we get relief soon sad 
    • Posted

Me too!  I say it daily that it is the worst decision I have ever made!   Yet everyone keeps telling me that I will be happy one day. I’m still waiting.....my physical therapist says that most people don’t have as much difficulty as I am having and I have also heard that the condition of the knee pre-op makes a difference.  Mine was awful from injuries sustained in my teens!  I can still hear the doctor saying to my 19 year old self “this will cause you lots of problems as you age”.   He was right.
    • Posted

Youzeguyz need to take a deep breath and let go of what you expect this recovery to be and how long it will last.  Hating your decision and being upset because of unrealistic expectations just screws with your head.  "Don't do dat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.  Let it all go and just let the knee heal.  Give it time, do the work and be patient.  Positive outlook only.  Start planning your one-year anniversary party...and expect to dance!

• Posted

Thanks CHICO !! I am gonna give it the ole college try starting today.. and definitely gonna plan the one year party - and its gonna be a doozy !!
    • Posted

My "ole college try" is to be well enough to attend my 50th college reunion at Fordham University in NYC May of 2019!!!  FIFTY????  I think I lost track of like two decades!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.