Excessive Swelling and Very Slow Progress in Rehab

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

Nearly 12 weeks out from total knee replacement and the swelling is ridiculous. My doctor says it should start to subside, but I see no signs of that.  Just starting my second six weeks x 3 times a week session of physical therapy and this swelling really affects my therapy.  Anyone have this issue?  At this point I cannot imagine this knee ever feeling even somewhat normal.

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Paula,

The swelling will go down, as I thought the same thing as you!  I'm am almost 7 months and it was just recently that my knee is starting to feel better, still not where it should be, but improving.  It use to feel like a 50 pound weight around my knee, now only a 10 pound weight! Lol   Seriously, that's an improvement, because there is no longer any pain.  Going to have my othe knee done in 3 weeks, so back to square one again, but at least I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Hang in there, be patient, do your exercises and all will be worth it!

Many blessings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

Hi Cherry,

Good to know.  My daughter’s wedding is in 2 1/2 months and I had hoped having the surgery in late November , it would be distant memory by May!  You are braver than I am, seriously, lol!  Good luck with the surgery!

• Posted

Paula,

Make plans for a wonderful time at your daughter's wedding...you'll dance the night away!

Many blessings, 

Cherry 🍒 

• Posted

The first 3 months are always the worst.  You should start to see a reduction in the swelling but: 1. it takes time; and 2. the change is NOT visible day to day.  The other thing is that the knee will definitely swell on a day to day basis if you push it too far.  Progress is measured in steps so get a pedometer.  Track your progress.  If the knee swells on a given day, note the steps, back off and resume.  This takes a lot of time...

Voltaren Gel (RX in the US) is a GREAT topical anti-inflammatory.  Can really help with the pain and swelling.

• Posted

That’s good advice.  I tend to overdo it. Desperate for an anti-inflammatory.  I will ask the doctor for an RX.
    • Posted

A TKR is a hard taskmaster.  If nothing else, this will teach you patience.  I grew up in Brooklyn and lived "The New York Minute" all my life.  The TKR put the brakes on that.  If you are not a patient person, you will be one in a year.  There are great life lessons to be learned from this recovery.  Time, work and patience...

• Posted

I am not a patient person.  I have never experienced anything like this before, and I agree about TKR being a taskmaster.  It has totally controlled my life for the last three months and  guess it will continue to be so for a while longer.  You know what they say...patience is a virtue ...
    • Posted

I really do understand- October 19,2016 I walked 4 miles then went to my Arthritis Doc to draw fluid and pop in cortisone as I had done every 6 months for 6 years- great plan but this time strep was sent into the knee- 1 month in the hospital- 8 weeks IV with infectious disease doc- septic arthritis- 3 surgeries- blood clot that requires 6 month to heal- walkers/ wheel chairs/ 6month pt then one year later

A total knee- patience

• Posted

I'm 9 weeks p.o. on total knee replacement and yes I have the same problem I keep being told it's a slow process just give it time it will get better my Dr says a year or more before full recovery I hope my right knee holds out don't think I will ever do it again

• Posted

Agreed, I can’t see going through this again.  I literally see little to no improvement in 12 weeks.   Never again!!
    • Posted

I am slowly recovering too but please know it does get better ~ three months to 6 months are nice improvements smile I didn't believe it would be so but it was. I still have a ways to go but I am hopeful now that in 6 months I will be so much more improved than I am now. It does take time patience and work. It's a full time job! Best wishes hang toughsmile 

• Posted

Paula I am 11 weeks out- I

Just try to follow guidelines of Chico Marx and it works every time.  Best advice in the world 🎉it has to get better- I was so bad I had 0 choice of life without TKR- it has to work- no turning back.  I go to Cryotherapy daily to help with swelling.  Best speed and I get it but not going backwards ??

• Posted

I am not patient at all but learning with this process 💕. It has to work for each of us- no giving up.

• Posted

Geez...thanks.  What if I told you that I wasn't a real person but an experimental AI locked in a freezer at MIT?

• Posted

I am not patient at all but learning with this process 💕. It has to work for each of us- no giving up.

• Posted

Not a chance- I give iIQ tests for a living- well till I retired- you are the real deal.
    • Posted

Damn...ya caught me...  Be 70 in two weeks...fourth spine surgery a month ago.  Still working full time in IT and playing the blues...
    • Posted

I have had the c7-t8 spine fusion. 4 years ago- paralyzed my vocal chords for 3 month then - healed.  Cake walk for me compared to the knee crisis.  Hope all heals well
    • Posted

I've had 30 operations requiring general anesthesia in the past 18 years.  Lost of minor stuff (trigger fingers, carpal tunnel, wrist cysts...even the four knee scopes).  Then there was stomach surgery, gallbladder out, and more mid-level stuff.  The hip replacement was a six week rehab total; the two shoulder impingements were about the same each.  Zipped right through them.  Two spine laminectomies were a breeze; the LLIF fusion at L2/L3 was a one day miracle.  The huge TLIF fusion (rails and screws) of L3 through S1 was a lot more painful...12 days in the hospital, four months rehab.  Everything was doable and not really challenging. I ALWAYS kick rehab's a$$...

Then came the knee.  I was completely unprepared.  Thought I'd zip through it like all the others.  What a wake-up call...  It was the most painful and longest rehab ever.  I pushed the hip and shoulders...no problem.  Can't do that with the knee...it will swell like a balloon.  Had that happen once and watched my steps every day after that so it didn't happen again.  I have one more knee to go and I'm putting it off until I can't take it anymore.  Right now, zero pain...but it's coming.  Forty-five years playing hockey...sooner or later, the bill comes due.  

Your fusion was similar in difficulty to my TLIF.  That was my worst one before the knee.  I've also had four kidney stones.  You know the pain chart at the doc's office with the happy to sad faces?  A kidney stone isn't even on that chart.  Same with the knee.  It's a whole different universe of pain...not on anyone's "smiley face" chart...

• Posted

Wow you have had a bunch- I am also a kidney stone participant 4 lithotripsy surgeries and 2 let’s go get it surgeries and passed many.  I would say kidney stones and TLK are close but I think the knee problems over the last two years have been the worst but the most hopeful.  I am so much better than before the TKR.  The septic infection that lead to the total knee was the worst pain ever.  No smiley face for stones or septic infections.  

I still have stones in each kidney but I have commanded them to behave

• Posted

You have helped me and others with your knowledge and we are grateful.  My right knee is healthy and I hope it remains that way because I never ever want to do this again🎉😂. Nothing prepared me for this TKR drama but I am over the hump and will have the 1 year party November 2018 ??🤔

• Posted

The two spine surgeries plus one on the left wrist interrupted my strength rebuild although I can do stairs two at a time.  Lots of muscle memory from my hockey days.  Hoping to get final spine clearance on March 8th from my neuro...then I can attack the strength problem head on.  It affects endurance and balance; need to get them back and only a full-on exercise program for quads, glutes and core will do that.  Started with "chair yoga" 2X/week.  After clearance I'll add gym to the yoga.  My studio also does barre...that will REALLY stretch me out!!!  My goal is to get back on my skates after I buy my DonJoy Defiance knee brace that will absolutely not allow any twisting of the knee...saving my pennies...  Maybe by Fall...definitely by New Years!!!

• Posted

I hate to use that word because whenever a human "plans" something, The Universe laughs in his/her face.  Let's just say that it is my "intention" to follow this path.  I'll probably get hit by a bus next week...

• Posted

Barre sound great!  Be careful with that spine because you sure don’t want to screw that up 😊get the brace by New Year and life begins with hockey.

• Posted

During yoga and gym, I wear my incredible Horizon back brace which locks my lumbar spine.  The barre would be for my hamstrings which are waaaaay too tight.  Need to get them extended...
    • Posted

Going to check it out - barre- next week.  Celebrating that I am 3 months post- everyone’s knowledge and positive vibes helped me

Get off of the couch and back to the gym.  Kate’s exercise rehab plan is very helpful- thanks for sharing- Hope your birthday 🎂 plans are shaped my up for a great time.😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.