Excessive Swelling and Very Slow Progress in Rehab

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

Nearly 12 weeks out from total knee replacement and the swelling is ridiculous. My doctor says it should start to subside, but I see no signs of that.  Just starting my second six weeks x 3 times a week session of physical therapy and this swelling really affects my therapy.  Anyone have this issue?  At this point I cannot imagine this knee ever feeling even somewhat normal.

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Paula,

I've read you've been icing and elevating the leg (knee) at work. Good stuff.....so far.

Can I suggest a different spin on your icing. Try using a foam cup (not paper or plastic) half fill with water and pop into freezer. Half fill as the water expands in the freezer it will split the cup open if cup is filled to the top. Once frozen cut away excess foam and then cut away 1 to 2 inches of foam revealing ice. The remaining foam will insulate your fingers and apply ice directly to the knee. it will be really really really cold for the first 30 to 40 seconds - Grin and bear it...you'll be fine. Now continue to ice up the knee all over. Keep the ice moving slowly. Try not to stop in one spot for too long as you don't want to ice burn yourself. Do this in the morning and then twice more when you get home from work. Obviously the more the better. Icing this way is far better than with an ice pack or "frozen peas", as these tend to melt quickly and form around the area that doesn't really need the ice. Whilst at work try and avoid weight bearing as much as possible and try maybe using a compression bandage, firmly around the entire knee structure. Start wrapping at the distal end of the femur (near the knee) then at least go over the patella (knee cap) twice, and pull firmer when going behind the knee. Finish application below the patella. This will minimise the swelling during the day and give you a little increased stability. This icing should be done for at least for the next 3 weeks.

Good luck and I hope this helps.           

• Posted

OH NO, THAT'S TERRIBLE.  IM SO SORRY..  I WAS HOPING BY THE 12TH WEEK OUT, THINGS WOULD BE SO MUCH BETTER.  I AM 4 WEEKS OUT AND I HAVE SWELLING AND PAIN, BUT AM PRAYING THAT IT GETS MUCH MUCH BETTER.  I PRAY THAT YOURS DOES TOO.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.