Excessive Yawning and Constant Need to Breathe Deep

Posted , 480 users are following.

For the past few days, I've been yawning a lot, much more than average (once every few minutes I feel the need). If I'm not yawning I'm breathing in as deep as I can to get similar "satisfaction". Often I cannot get the "satisfaction" from these and so the urge grows and grows, meaning it can get quite uncomfortable. When I do manage it, the urge is back a few seconds later. This is whether I'm tired or not, almost all day. 

I'm not particularly anxious about anything in particular, and get the same amount of sleep as before this started. 

This also happened at some point within the past year which continued for a month or two if I remember correctly. 

Does anyone have any idea what it is or how to make it a bit better? 

Thanks.

27 likes, 1426 replies

1426 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been experiencing an extremely similar type of thing, the excessive yawning and cant get enough air thing specifically.  This started about just over a year ago, and as a runner, it hasnt exactly been convenient for me... I competed so badly all this year because i had to continually keep stopping and walking, something i try to avoid at all costs, due to lack of air.  I have had a spirometry test and blood test that came back normal, and now i think the doctor's stuck, when i just want it fixed so i can breathe again...  Breathing in slowly and holding it really is not effective for me, i just need to yawn again a couple seconds later... sad

I havent found anything really that helps (sorry!), the only thing ive managed to discover helps a little is to adjust my breathing patterns, which is hugely inconvenient and only works at rest

• Posted

This is all so interesting because I have been experiencing all these symptoms for over 13 years and assumed it was due to allergies. However in the past seven years, I have been trying to get better answers.  My breathing is so shallow that several times when I have been in the hospital for various other reasons,

they have come running into the room thinking I stopped breathing because it did not register on the oximiter. My oxygen was low on my sleep study, but nothing they will actually consider too abnormal. And no one will take into account that I get dizzy and get a headache with all exercise due to what clearly feels like lack of oxygen because I feel like I can't  get enough breath , can't catch my breath, and have so much mucous that I have to carry a rag I call a snot rag. I do have anxiety, but do not have attacks every day or every time I exercise and don't understand how it can effect every day and every exercise time. I am also a pharmacist and have done a lot of research on several related issues, so calling the whole thing an anxiety attack, seems preposterous. I believe the over active nerves are involved, but there is more to the story here than anxiety disorder. If anyone has found any doctors willing to approach understanding the issue, then that is what is most important.  It seems to me that what they test in the office is to see that you have a normal oxygen level and lung capacity (VO max) but if chronic anxiety is causing your breathing to be so shallow that the oxygen is not being delivered at a regular rate, isn't that still an insufficiency? I believe it is and we are feeling the effects of it, but no one will acknowledge it. It helps to know we are not alone in feeling this way.

• Posted

Hi,

I feel exactly the same way.  Do you ever feel bloated?   When my symptoms get really bad I feel extremely bloated and just feel like I cant breath. I try to take that deep breath and get no satosfaction and also feel like I am not getting enough oxygen.  The extreme breathing problems I do not have everyday but I do usually find myself breathing deeply throughout everyday trying to get that deep satisfying breath.  I start to feel the breathing problems come on and then at times they get very bad to the point where I almost feel like I will start to panic.  Once I went to the hospital because I just feel like I dont get enough oxygen.  My symptoms have been going on for about 5 years now. 

When I have a bad episode, it is bad and I feel like it would be easier to die.  Out of desparation, I recently stopped drinking red wine (which I was drinking at least 1 glass per night or every other night for the last several years) and I stopped on my coffee intake.  I actually stopped both for about 7 days and I actually started feeling better again.  There were about 3 days in a row where I could take a deep breath and I got my breath.  Then one friday night I had two glasses of red wine and the next day I started havcing the problems again but only margnal.  I also had a cup of coffee the next day.   Since I was feeling a bit better I decided to have one glass of coffee a day and now I am sitting here writing this message. 

I just had a very bad espisode and felt like I wanted to go to the doctor.  I also just had a cup of coffee around 4 and the bretahiong started around 6 and got really bad around 7.  I also feel bloated. 

Do you drink coffee and have you ever noticed that certain food or drinks might trigger it?  Do you feel bloated?  I am going to quite coffee again to see of there is a correlation.  Since I usually feel bloated and nasty everyday, I dont even exercise much anymore.  I am in ok shape, 5'8" 160 lbs and I am not fat.  Since I always feel like the breathing is an issue and the bloating, I dont feel comfortable when I exercise. 

For the record:

I went to cardiologist twice, and did tread mill stress test.  They concluded I am fine.

Went to a lung doctor and did all known breathing tests and I passed.  Ironic thing is I was having the difficulty breathing the day of the test.  Go figure. 

I am planning to go bad to the cardiologist and maybe some other doctors.  But in the meantime I am going to cut out certain things in my diet. 

• Posted

Just curious....do you swim also? I've had similar issues before, and I now believe it may be related to the pool and/or some type of chlorine allergy. Vitamin C and Niacin seemed to help.

• Posted

Hi FastEddie, personally I doubt it as I am very convinced this is related to reflux. I swam only a few times in my life in swimming pools. I can see worse breathing condition after coffee, strong tea, wine, acid producing foods. Please research GERD on the Internet and see for yourself. Maybe you will find it useful. I have heard some doctors believe this is possible. You can have silent reflux like other hundreds of thousands of us do. Best of luck.

• Posted

GERD can definitely be a factor for some, but not all. I'm on the strongest GERD type medication and I still have this insane hyperventilation breathing thing.

• Posted

This definitely rings true with me, I have ongoing anxiety issues. I take a beta blocker for palpitations and anti-anxiety medication. The last few days I have had a coffee and experienced extreme palpitations after combined with this horrible feeling of not being able to breathe.

I have had a stressful week but haven't felt particularly stressed or anxious at the time it's happening, but then the symptoms themselves do create a panic feeling, like I'm going to suffocate because I don't have enough oxygen.

It's a horrible horrible feeling and even worse because there doesn't seem to be any effective way to manage it.

• Posted

Hey Tiger - have you done any research on silent reflux? I had the same problem for a very long time on and off and finally a doctor figured out that it was a form of acid reflux that only presents as breathing problems. It was confirmed after an esophageal probe. Triggered by eating acidic foods. Do some research and try taking Prilosec for two weeks and see if that helps.
    • Posted

Well, this certainly rings some bells with me.  I suffer with Severe Health Anxiety and my GP has told me my breathing issues just like yours are down to anxiety.  Every time he checks my lungs he says they are clear.  He recently found a murmur when listening to my heart so he sent me for an ECG.  It's taken me 2 attempts to go through with it but I had it this week.  According to the Doctor who did it everything is fine.  Anyway,  today I am having a really bad day (and had a bad night) with breathlessness.  I take my salbutamol inhaler when it's bad and it helps a little but not properly.  I think it's connected to digestive issues myself.  I get breathless many times when I eat and I also have a tenderness across my diaghphram most days under my rib cage.  It feels like I've been kicked or punched.  I gave up caffeine a year ago and I can't drink coffee as it causes me pain.  I've had a few good days until last night and it's back with a vengenance now.  I wish we could get to the bottom of this as it's hell.  I too Yawn to get enough breathe to feel like I've taken a proper breath so I know what you are going through.  My GP has given me medication for anxiety but I haven't taken it as I am scared of taking meds due to the fear of side effects.  

• Posted

Try propping the head of your bed up about 2 inches and also try sleeping with a pillow under your shoulders and one one on top of that for head. It has given me excellent relief. It was causing acod to back up into my lungs causing breathing difficulties and constant need to yawn. Please try this a few. Nights it may solve a lot of issues you are having. Anxiety can make it worse when your struggling to get deep breath it causes panic so it makes it worse. Good luck hope this helps you
    • Posted

Gerd causes lung issues with breathing problems feel better soon
    • Posted

I to have these same problems recently my doctor has told me i have galstone and a hania hernia and this plays a big role in my breathimg problems
    • Posted

Hi Joe,

do you mean a Hiatal hernia?  I saw your comment below and I have identical symptoms.  The only time I start feeling better is when I eat limited amount of food over a 3 week period.  Otherwise, it is difficult to breath. 

• Posted

Hi yes jwarner75 sorry not a good speller buy yes i can only eat white rice and eggsas or right now other than that im stuck on baby foods i hope once i have my galbladder rwmoved and my hernia fix hopefully my breathing gets better
    • Posted

I hope your surgery goes well and please keep us posted.  I have been living like this for about 5 years but it has gotten worse over the last year.  I will mention this to my doctor and maybe she can do soem checks to see if I have the same issues.  I will let you know.  Thanks. 
    • Posted

Yes please keep me posted and i sure will.let ya know how it goes i am 24yrs old been like this since i was about 16 just this past year it has got outta hand
    • Posted

Joe- had a huge bout of this in November and thru this blog I had read some info about Gerd. You can have it without any symptoms like you would normally think. They put me on 5 medications- said I had copd,asthma, and allergies. After 4 months of testing their theory I have just weened off all meds after a 14 day of Prilosec. Happy to say those symptoms are behind me at the present time. Still watching and waiting to see how it goes. I would definitely review and take Prilosec or something similar and change diet a little and see how it goes. Good luck
    • Posted

Yes paul i am. meds for gerd also my diet has changed alot since my symtoms have got worae i went from wieghing 496 to 381 poumd in just 3months these last three month i been on baby food and yogurt..and also you can go long periods of time withs out haveimg aymtoms from your galbladder and a hernia as well but when i see my doctor again i will sure let her know about the prilosec
    • Posted

Hi joe.can you please say were your hernia is?i suffer with the same symptoms as the person who posted this problem.right at the side of my ribcage near top of my stomach i have swelling there.some days i notice it by it feeling tensed up or a pushing feeling.im wondering if its a hernia?i do suffer from severe health anxiety.thanks
    • Posted

Hi yes my hernia id rigjt above me stomach which would be the center of my chest and also i get the swelling on my side as well you might wanna talk to your doctor to see if you have galstones i have my galbladder removed on the 10th of april and then a g.i on may the 22
    • Posted

Hello just a suggestion I have found that if I take my asthma inhaler it helps this condition even if I'm not having an asthma attack it just breaks the pattern sometimes so if you do have an inhaler take it a few times and see if it helps

• Posted

Are you on a inhaler sometimes that helps very very much
    • Posted

The mucus you are having stands out to me. Are you a smoker?
    • Posted

I am 32 years old and have these spells where I cant take a deep

breath in. I am about 70lbs over weight, however, before i got these spells, my activity level was fine and i didnt have any other issue.. So its not a weight issue. I also in the past have had a few panic attacks. So severe at times i had to stop working and going to school. When i had those attacks, it wasnt the same as the trouble breathing i have now... however, the breathing issue did throw me into panic once.. it was so bad i cried and shook. I also experience chest pain once in a while when this happens. Not always. I get very dizzy and light headed. Sometimes tingly. It seems that caffiene gibes me panic attacks, and if i drink to much alcohol i feel very sob also. If i eat too much and become full, this also makes my breathing worsen. I have had about 3 of these spells. Once when I was about 23, 31, and now 32. When it happens, it lasts for like a month or two. It is very uncomfortable. Its like my chest wont allow me to take deep breaths. I can get one in once in a while but rarely. I also have trouble sneezing and yawning due to this. Seems to be ok when laying down. But trying to walk very far, even getting dressed is a task. It is waaaaay worse when showering. I almost hyperventilate in the bath. It is ruining my life. I do have afib.... i really dont think it is that. If i dont think about the breathing it is ok usually. I try to occupy myself to take my mind off of it. I have been to the doctor 3 times. He has no idea. Says could be afib....asthma....stress..... and the hospital said maybe acid reflux... all my xrays and heart evals looked fine...besides mild afib..Sometimes i wonder if im just freaking myself out.... but sometimes it's as real as day. I use albuterol nebulizer every 4 hours. It helps a lot but not 4 long. I also use mucinex nose spray. This is so scary and making life difficult. Please if anyone has answers let me know. Thank you.

• Posted

Please get a nebulizer. U can take an albuterol treatment 4 times a day. It relaxes muscles and opens your air passages. This helps me bunches when my need for air is bad.
    • Posted

I would agree , you should get a nebulizer . Every time i have this breathing problem it seems like it is always at 3 am so i just get up , take a breathing treatment with the albuterol and it almost alway opens me up enough to be able to go back to sleep and at that point i breathe slow enough to continue sleeping . Yesterday when i had this breathing problem though was the first time it didnt work but normally it allows you to breath good enough . The guy that brough up pseudo dyspnea seemed exactly like what this is .

• Posted

This does not affect my sleep at all! Which is why I think some of it is mental..
    • Posted

This exactly the same for me, Ive had a spirometry test and they've just told me its asthma but I have no wheezing and they said my chest was clear I had one doctor tell me it was a really bad viral infection in my airways that would of cleared up by taking paracetamol for a week or so but then it got worse my Gp then told me she was diagnosing me with asthma due to poor peak flow but I'm on the blue inhaler I did have a brown but got it changed to a pink one with a spacer and I'm on antihistamines for my hay fever and now Ive been put on montelukest tablets one a night for a month to see if it gets better I highly doubt it as I am struggling the same as I have been for months so the doctors next step is to send me for ct scans and X-rays to see if they can get to the bottom of this sometimes it has me in tears I'm that bad with it because it causes me to panic wish somebody had the right answer and medicine for this 

• Posted

I had this same problem. Shortness of breath going on 4 months had numerous tests including major tests spidometry pulmonary function tests . echocardiogram and xray. I still haven't found a solution to my shortness of breath I feel like I can't fill my lungs like I'm constantly gasping for air. I don't get that satisfaction when i breath. Any advice is appreciated

• Posted

Listen stay calm it's an awful thing to go through. I had no idea what was going on it's GERD acid reflux I am pretty sure did a lot of research and listen raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches you will be amazed at how well it helps I wake up in mornings and can breath use to id struggle even after eating. I had cut back on so much food I got down to 117 pounds I'm 47 and 5 foot 5 so that was really small. Thought I was having food allergies but nope acid reflux here is what to try raise your bed after each meal peel and eat a whole red sweet apple you will be able to tell with in minutes the difference it sure has helped me I also gave it to the lord you do this and you should be fine 

• Posted

Kim, it's been 16 years for me and I tried everything and so much research on oxygen starved, excessively yawning, and GAD.  I'm not an anxious person! It's not GERD either! It's real and unfortunately, I'm forced to take benzodiazepines to take off the edge! But it's not a cure... We need to find a study on this because it appears to be bigger then we think? I'm in the medical profession as well, but it seems the all say anxiety, when there is no other explanation?

• Posted

Went through test all were good  stay calm it's an awful thing to go through. I had no idea what was going on it's GERD acid reflux I am pretty sure did a lot of research and listen raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches you will be amazed at how well it helps I wake up in mornings and can breath use to id struggle even after eating. I had cut back on so much food I got down to 117 pounds I'm 47 and 5 foot 5 so that was really small. Thought I was having food allergies but nope acid reflux here is what to try raise your bed after each meal peel and eat a whole red sweet apple you will be able to tell with in minutes the difference it sure has helped me I also gave it to the lord you do this and you should be fine 

• Posted

I'm sorry, but it's not GERD for everyone. Believe me, I've been through the wringer with this insane, uncanny, bizarre, and hellish breathing issue for enough years, and heard enough testimonies to know that the cause, whatever that may be varies for each individual. Sure, for some, GERD might just be the culprit, and an acid pill like Prilosec can do wonders. Hell, I'm on Prilosec. Been on it for 3 years now to no avail as far as the breathing issue. Yes, loosing weight can help too. I'm 6'3 , 250 pounds. I could probably stand to loose about 20 or 30 pounds. Then again, I see very obese people when I'm sitting in the waiting room at the doctors office, and they all breath like a mouse. Quiet, through the nose without a care in the world it seems. Do you get my point?  

• Posted

It may not be GERD for you but I have had this a long time had spirometer test heart test no problems it continued to happen I do feel that mine was GERD or acid reflux and excessive gas even checked gallbladder and she couldn't get good picture from all the gas bubbles these things can make it hard to get a deep breath and I posted a few things that has helped me it may not help you good luck 

• Posted

Hello Paul,

I am new to this forum. 

I'm curious ... after the Prilosec ... did you also change your diet as well.

I just started with these symptoms about a month ago. Glad I found this forum. No one else online seems to understand what we are going through. But everyone here at this site knows EXACTLY what theses symptoms are all about.

Thanks!

• Posted

I think part of of the problem is caffeine! I have been feeling better since I stopped drinking soda, actually 0 caffeine!
    • Posted

I just seen where you private messaged me.  The head of the bed 6 to 8 inches helps keep the acids down in your stomach where they belong.  My husband did this for me and it has helped so much.  I thought the same thing you did how can you sleep like this but you get use to it not bad at all.

• Posted

Yep i can agree....for the last week i have had no fizzy pop especially red bull, monster or any energy drink and have been taking 1 iron tablet and been loads better.....only 1 iron tablet as can bung u up.....but the difference has been brilliant....had no iron tablet all weekend not struggled breathing only odd time ive had to yawn...think over xmas gonna try a few days without iron tablet and see how i go as your usually stuffing your face over crimbo so that will bring on the bloating......iff this info helps anyone good....did for me...ive suffered with this for years ,and had yo try something as doctors found nothing.... And before anyone says anything no i didnt go to docs about iron tablets only having the one in a morning to see how we go....
    • Posted

Paul, it’s the ridiculous amounts of caffeine you were ingesting and not the iron pill. Caffeine in those drinks increase bp  ten fold bro! Your shortness of breath most likely came from an increased diastolic pressure. 
    • Posted

Did it get solved?  how?  I have the same story.

• Posted

My diastolic pressure remains 70 after 20 ounces of coffee! I was thinking the same thing? 
    • Posted

I'm not a doctor and there are way too many symptoms to list. Everybody is unique. Go to an allergist, I went to just about every specialist there was and finally landed on the perfect allergist who knew what to look for. Everything with me stemmed from acid reflux gerd which I was unaware that I was dealing with.

• Posted

hey? how are you feeling now? i also have the same symptoms with bloating too.

• Posted

levilev... me too, there is always a correlation between my trouble breathing and bloating. and a heaviness in my chest.

• Posted

some days i feel okay but always a little pressure like I cant take a deep breath... other days it's that same feeling but way worse like someone is standing on my rib cage. It's never out of control or too fast like I'm having a panic attack, just worse all around on other days. it does sometimes turn into a panic attack but that's a reaction

• Posted

hey! this is exactly how i feel. have you got it checked?

• Posted

Hi, I sympathize with you, have had the same affliction for last 6 years and it's really taken it's toll on my quality of life to the point where I too consider ending my life because of it, I noticed you posted this six years ago so did ever any relief for it or find some answers to what it is ? I have had no success in getting answers just fobbed off all the time with ''it's anxiety'' when it isn't.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.