Excessive Yawning and Constant Need to Breathe Deep

Posted , 480 users are following.

For the past few days, I've been yawning a lot, much more than average (once every few minutes I feel the need). If I'm not yawning I'm breathing in as deep as I can to get similar "satisfaction". Often I cannot get the "satisfaction" from these and so the urge grows and grows, meaning it can get quite uncomfortable. When I do manage it, the urge is back a few seconds later. This is whether I'm tired or not, almost all day. 

I'm not particularly anxious about anything in particular, and get the same amount of sleep as before this started. 

This also happened at some point within the past year which continued for a month or two if I remember correctly. 

Does anyone have any idea what it is or how to make it a bit better? 

Thanks.

27 likes, 1426 replies

1426 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

You might want to look into anxiety disorder, that's what I have and it sounds just like it, though there are over 100 symptoms of this disorder. The constant yawning to catch your breath, the feeling that you can breath in and out but your not getting enough air. Anxiety can happen even when I'm not feeling anxious or stressed and can feel constant which differs from a panic attack which comes on hard and fast and feels like your have a heart attack, at least for me it does. I'm not a doctor but it does sound like my symptoms but the longer I left it untreated different symptoms started. I hope this may help.
    • Posted

Hi can you tell me how or what you did to resolve this issue
    • Posted

Listen stay calm it's an awful thing to go through. I had no idea what was going on it's GERD acid reflux I am pretty sure did a lot of research and listen raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches you will be amazed at how well it helps I wake up in mornings and can breath use to id struggle even after eating. I had cut back on so much food I got down to 117 pounds I'm 47 and 5 foot 5 so that was really small. Thought I was having food allergies but nope acid reflux here is what to try raise your bed after each meal peel and eat a whole red sweet apple you will be able to tell with in minutes the difference it sure has helped me I also gave it to the lord you do this and you should be fine 

• Posted

What are you taking for your anxiety? What helps you on a daily basis? 
    • Posted

No I don't take any medication except ranitidine for acid reflux try not take it. But yes I do have anxiety bad but have gotten better dealing with it prayers has a lot 

• Posted

Vocal cord dysfunction may (or may not) be contributing to your struggles, the symptoms appear similar to what is being experienced. It is very often misdiagnosed as asthma, but asthma medication will not assist in relieving discomfort. Idk, it may just be helpful to look it up and check it out, see how it compares to the symptoms experienced
  • Posted

It's horrible, isn't it? I've had it for years, on and off. And the more you think about it, the more it happens .. so you get more anxious, and that makes it even worse!

Try this .. it works for me:

Take a few deep breaths, but instead of using your upper chest, breath from your tummy.. really push your tummy in and out. After a few times of doing that, you should then be able to get that deep satisfying breath you crave.

We are all born with the ability to breath with our tummies .. watch a baby breath and you'll see what I mean. To babies it comes naturally .. but as we get older, we tend to take more shallow breaths .. using only our chests.

If you don't understand .. just type 'abdominal breathing' into youtube, there are plenty of videos which show you how to do it.

Hope this helps.

Jo

• Posted

So what exactly are you saying? You said you have had it for years. Are you doing the tummy breathing just to get one good breath, or has it went away for a while, or has it never gone away?

• Posted

Debra, for me the tummy breathing doesn't make my anxiety fully go away, but it's much more satisfying than trying to breath through my chest when I need a deep breath.
    • Posted

I had this about 4 years back , it eventually went. On the 15th June 16 and went out with a friend in his car .we got back around 11pm that evening to find my car had vanished. When I came inside my house I knew straight away I'd been burgled. I've suffered with anxiety and also agoraphobia for 20 years.

I did overcome this 4 years ago but now it's come back. I'm afraid to leave the house as yesterday when I had to walk to the local shop I started with a full blown panic attack which lasted a few mins but throughout the day I would get them in the house. Then the day after I started with the excessive yawning and breathing which now is making feel ill. At times I can't even stand up I'm that dizzy so this is making things very difficult for me to leave the house as I fear this coming on outdoors . I always relied on my car which helped me get over the agoraphobia and it seemed to go.I have a replacement car bring delivered next week so hoping I can overcome this again.Any advice would be helpful .I can't remember how I overcome this last time

Thanks Antonio

• Posted

Thank you very much ! Using my stomach did help alot due to the fact that my chest feels too tight . I do have a cough right now so maybe thats why , but this breathing problem only occurs ever so often

• Posted

So sorry to hear you're going through this!   It can be so frightening and debilitating.   I certainly hope having a car again will help you to get out and finally help relieve all your other symptoms.   Best of luck!

• Posted

This very same thing happens to me. As a matter of fact, it happened to me for the last 2 days but today I am fine. This time, when I went outside to do something, I was out of breath in a very short time, so I had to stay in the house and not go anywhere. I tried the breathing exercise mentioned in a post, buit it didn't work. (Kinda made it worse). Mine is not brought on by stress I don't believe. I have had a panic attack before but it is different. I checked the COPD symptoms and it isn't that because I do not have a cough or cough up anything. If you find out anything, please let me know....Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.