Excruciating pain after Hydrocele surgery

Posted , 26 users are following.

I had a hydrocele surgery 7 days ago. At this time, I have excruciating pain when I stand up or walk. It's a charp burning pain as if someone was pinching my suture area. However, the pain is almost none existent when laying flat on my back. It's the only position to get relief and become comfortable. Furthermore, I can't lay forever. Pain medicine is not relieving this pain. Is this normal?

I'm been told that the pain will go away between 7 to 10 days post surgery, but I'm not seeing any pain improvement. I have the same pain I had on days 2 & 3.

I'm hoping this pain will go away soon. I'm not worried about swelling because I read it will go away with time. But this pain is horrible. It should be noted that I have a high tolerance for pain but can't help it with this.

Any suggestions???

4 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Tighty whities or compression shorts will help a bit but it's the blood flow and the fact they stitch the testicle to the inside oft he scrotum which is causing the pain. Mine lasted about 2 weeks before it lightened up but I still get a slight twinge every once in a while and im about 7 weeks post surgery.

• Edited

Thanks for your response. I think you're right, it's the blood flow when standing. It's the only reasonable explanation. I really hope it goes away or significantly reduced in two weeks time. I am really hurting. I can't stand or walk for long because I scream. Did pain medication helped you at all? The doctor prescribed Tylenol 3 (with Codeine) and it really made no difference when I took it. I even doubled on the dose with no effect.

• Edited

No pain meds did nothing I stayed pretty much in bed for the first 10 days. But when I did get up to get food, go to the bathroom etc the pain was pretty bad.
    • Posted

Hey, just had hyrdocele surgery and its been 5 days. Actually i dont feel near as much pain as you lot did. Like the first 2 days i didnt even feel anything but since like 3 days when i stand up or walk i feel minimal pain like its bearable enough that i even went to a mall for shopping lol. so i wanted to ask do i expect the pain to rise from now onwards or did you feel high pain even in the first 5 days? thanks and sorry to talk to u about this after 4 years of u commenting 😛

• Edited

Are you wearing a jockstrap it helps I have still a  slightly swollen testicle  still a little pain not bad though after two months  it will get better I thought the same thing jockstrap does help get one and wear it 
    • Posted

Thanks for your response. No, I am not using jockstraps but I'm using tight underwear that supports the scrotum. It is just painful bro...it really sucks.

• Edited

Go buy a jockstrap it will make a difference it helps I know it certainly helped me I am pretty much without pain it's nowhere near as bad as it was so it will go away eventually  but trust me it's worth going and getting a jockstrap  

• Edited

Had exactly the same experience. Mine started to subside in about 10 days, but wasn't completely pain free until 2 weeks post surgery. I was given a jockstrap to wear, but my doctor told me it was to control swelling. It did little in regards to pain. I didn't like the pain killer I was prescribed, so I got a prescription for an anti-inflammatory and that helped a bit.

Good luck!

• Posted

I really appreciate your response. Were you able to stand and walk for more than 10 minutes ten days post surgery?

You are the second person to state that the pain will subside around day 10, and goes away around two weeks. I really hope it will be the case for me, as I wondered at times that something went wrong during surgery that is causing this horrible pain.

• Edited

Yes, I was able to stand and walk after 10 days, but there was still a little pain depending on how I moved or lifting things (I was instructed not to lift anything more than 10lbs for 2 weeks.) I also continued to wear a jockstrap for 2-3 weeks.

You didn't indicate how large your hydrocele was. Mine was a 1/2 litre of liquid, but I also had a "communicating hydrocele," meaning it had started to enlarge up into my lower abdomen. Because of this, there was more internal suturing and thus more scar tissue. As a result, I had extensive bruising, swelling, and pain.

I've heard some people are OK after a few days, some in a week, and then some 2 - 3 weeks. I think a lot depends on the size of your hydrocele and how extensive the internal stitching is. 

During my first 2 weeks of recovery, I thought "Why did I do this myself," but after 2 months (with the pain, swelling and bruising gone) I can say I'm glad I did it. 

• Posted

OMG! I got mine repaired today, mine were bilateral, and the right one was pretty big, almost 110 cc and left was 60 cc and were bearing enough tension to make them very hard and pain sensitive.

Surgery went all good, but my doctor said he did a lot of work down there reconstructing and getting them fixed and attached to its sac, as a result, I got a lot of internal stitches and I have been in moderate to high pain all day long.

I am staying one night at hospital and pain killers are nothing! nurses say they got me at maximum dose allowed by doctors and certainly I feel like someone kick me in the balls constantly, pain spread to the abdomen, groin and also lower back. I am feeling anxious because I was told this procedure to be ambulatory, "minimal invasive" and fast recovering, this is bu-/&@t

I cant help it but to regret myself.

Was first day so painful for you guys?

How about days 2-4?

I really appreciate your experiences and cheer ups.

Carlos.

• Posted

Good Afternoon, I am a 71 year old male (obviously) and had a hydrocele repair three days ago. I would describe myself as having discomfort but no real "pain."  I have a prescription for percoset but have been successful treating discomfort with napoxen sodium 220 mg tablets, two per day.  For me the key is ICE, ICE and ICE.  I have had the hydrocele for several years and as it didn't cause pain or interfere with daily activities I kept delaying having it treated.  Finally last year I decided against surgery but decided to have aspiration and sclerotherapy.  My urologist referred me to a radiologist who, using ultrasound, used aneedle to drain the hyddrocele and then inject a scarring agent to seal the area from further collection of fluids.  This worked well for about a week and then the damn thing filled up again.  We tried the same thing agan but with the same results. A year later I decided that ssurgery was the only practical solution.  So three days ago had the surgery.  Becasue of the scarring of tissue, procedure was longer and more difficult than originally anticipated.  Didn't expect to wake up with a drain but that goes away in three days. Not a pleasant procedure but now it is done. For you naz, a combination of ice and pain reliever may help you through the recovery.  For others considering hydrocele treatment, research the aspiration and sclerotherapy as you may have better results without the surgical complications.  If surgery is the solution, work with a urologist who has done "hundreds" of these procedures.

• Posted

Hi Dan,

I got in contact with my doctor yesterday who recommended a low grade (325mg) Percoset. It is working like a champ. I still have a slight pain, but I can tolerate it. It allowed me to walk and do things, it's great. I was tired of laying on the couch all day. The doctor suggested a pill every 3-4 hours, but I only took two (total) yesterday and felt great.

Yes, ice works great to reduce swelling but it didn't do anything for pain. I hope the pain will completely subside in a few days without meds.

As far as aspiration, I tried that four times without a long term success. Then, I decided to do surgery.

• Posted

hello

replying dour years too late 😃 but, i am giving it a try... you were 71 when you had the hydrocele surgery, ... may I ask why? why having the surgery after living with it for so long?.

I have low hangers and have always being kinda large... but the.right one has a hydrocele for sure.

I kinda ignore it, I don't think is a big deal

other than sometimes the one with a hydrocele feels too big and annoying... but does it worth the surgery?... i am 48 and I have lived with it for 15 years now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.