Excruciating pain after Hydrocele surgery

Posted , 26 users are following.

I had a hydrocele surgery 7 days ago. At this time, I have excruciating pain when I stand up or walk. It's a charp burning pain as if someone was pinching my suture area. However, the pain is almost none existent when laying flat on my back. It's the only position to get relief and become comfortable. Furthermore, I can't lay forever. Pain medicine is not relieving this pain. Is this normal?

I'm been told that the pain will go away between 7 to 10 days post surgery, but I'm not seeing any pain improvement. I have the same pain I had on days 2 & 3.

I'm hoping this pain will go away soon. I'm not worried about swelling because I read it will go away with time. But this pain is horrible. It should be noted that I have a high tolerance for pain but can't help it with this.

Any suggestions???

4 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Thank you for all the replies, which have reassured me that there is nothing seriously wrong.  Having read things like 'you may be able to return to work after 7 days' and that it only needs over the counter pain relief, made me think it wouldn't be that bad.  I have had a hip replacement, so I am no stranger to pain.  I am now 6 days post op and the first three days were fine.  I went out for a walk and even went to a gentle social event.  The last two days have been exactly as naz initially described.  Relatively pain free lying out flat.  Agony when standing and walking.  Screaming with pain.  I would confirm the jock strap is better than tight pants.  Today is slightly better.  I have swelling running from the side of the operation up towards the hip and even a small band of swelling at the top of the leg in front of the hip.  This doesn't seem painful and is not particularly hot or red.  Did others have swelling away from the immediate area of the op?

• Posted

Ben,

I only had swelling in the scrotum area and some bruising just below on the leg. Initially my urologist prescribed Tylenol 3 with Codeine, but it didn't relieve my horrible pain. I contacted the doctor again and described my issue with pain, he put me on low grade Percocet and it is working like a champ. I still have some pain but tolerable. I was told the pain will completely go away in about two weeks after surgery. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice  naz.  I have decided to see the doctor for prescription painkiller tomorrow.  Switched from cocodemol to a combination of paracetamol and ibuprofen today which has improved things already. 
  • Posted

Hey naz, just wondering how you are doing now. 1 week since the surgery I have a lot of pain walking for a kilometre or so.
  • Posted

I also have excruciating pain. On day 6 after surgery and the pain is a lot worse now. Can't walk or stand up, only relief is to lay flat in bed. Will call doctor and maybe try do a check up to make sure nothing is wrong. I did not expect this surgery to cause so much pain and bruising.

• Posted

What made it better for me was to increase the dosage of the pain medicine. Once that was done, I didn't feel the pain anymore. After a couple of weeks, the pain should go away completely and you won't need pain medicine. Good luck, that pain was unbearable when I stood up.

• Posted

My surgical experience of hydrocele

Based on my experience, I can say that either your hydrocelectomy was not completed properly or it might have been completed using the conventional method of hydrocelectomy. In any of these cases, a patient can feel pain even after days or weeks of the surgery. Therefore, I think laser surgery of hydrocele is the best option as it's a precise, safe, and successful surgical procedure. The risks of side effects are as low as zero and the chances of success are as high as 100%. I can say this simply because I have gone through this procedure myself.

I too was suffering from hydroceles a few months back and the size of the hydrocele kept growing bigger and bigger with time. After a certain time, it starts inflicting pain and it becomes uncomfortable for me to sit, stand or walk properly. Since I work in the corporate sector where I need to sit for long hours, it becomes hard for me to continue my job. Hence, I decided to consult a urologist. After searching for a while on the internet, I came across Pristyn Care who offers laser treatment for hydrocele. The very next day, I went to the clinic and met the doctor. After diagnosing my problem, the doctor advised me to undergo laser surgery as it was the only and best treatment option for me. I was quite convinced by his explanation about the benefits of laser surgery.

In nutshell, my surgery was scheduled for the next day. So at night, I searched about the types of hydrocele treatment and read about it. Then I came to know that the surgery of hydrocele is known as hydrocelectomy and hydrocelectomy can be done in two ways, the first one being open hydrocelectomy and the second is laser hydrocelectomy. However, laser hydrocelectomy is considered the best treatment. Simply, because it's a modern and advanced way of treating hydrocele.

The very next day, my laser hydrocelectomy was completed successfully within 20-30 minutes. This surgery was performed under the influence of anesthesia so I didn't have to feel any pain or problems during the entire surgical procedure. Since it was a daycare procedure, I returned back to my home the same after a few hours of my surgery. Post my surgery, I had MILD pain for the first 2-3 days. But it boils down within the first week of the surgery.

My doctor prescribed me pain medication and also suggested wearing scrotal support for the first 3-6 days. I was also asked not to avoid heavy weight lifting for the first 1-2 weeks which I followed diligently. This helps me in recovering quickly and comfortably. In totality, I had mild pain post my laser hydrocelectomy for the first 5-7 days. After that, it was all smooth. I even started my light daily routine after 2-3 days of the surgery and I faced no issues. Mild pain or discomfort is quite possible for the first few days after laser hydrocelectomy. But within 2-3 week’s time, you recover completely. However, if you still feel pain even after a week of your surgery, then you should contact your doctor immediately. He can explain the exact cause of your pain and fix it on time.

• Posted

make sure you to keep the area clean let the soap run over it squeeze the soapy wash cloth over the sack and very very gently rub or dab it in the shower after you shower always apply neosporin to the incision... i also bought some 24 hour wound cleaning spray from cvs that kills infections bacteria and prevents infections like staph infection and e coli... so just invest in neosporin and wound cleaning spray to speed the healing like mines did and try to find some very strong pain medication i like bayers extra strength.

• Posted

Hi Naz sorry to hear you are in a lot of pain .I had the opp on my left side 26 May 2021 . After a couple of days the pain was quite bad .Doctor perscribed co codamol along with gabapentin.

After getting them into my system the pain was a lot easier and i am able to get on with life .The pain is a lot more easier than it was. The gabapentin can make you bit spaced out but its worth it to ease the pain .Hope you get well soon .

• Posted

I’m 59 and I had hydrocele removed 5 days ago. I’m now finally coming back to somewhat normal focus even with the pain and sleepless nights. I had I hydrocele around my right testicle that went into my lower abdomen.

I’ve had it for 10+ years and it just kept slowly growing, finally into my abdomen. It was large enough that people started noticing when I stood up. I guess because I’m a thin guy. It was so large it was getting painful when mountain biking because all the fluid pushed and crushed my testicles against my legs. I had it aspirated, a year ago, removing 8 oz of fluid, but in a couple months it was back to full size.

I've had elbow surgery, and the pain is not half as bad. I guess because they had to cut elbow bone away. The pain, coming home the first night, could not be eliminated with oxycodone. Only with naproxen. Thankfully 24 hours after surgery, the pain was about 20% less, and now 5 days post its about 20 % of the total pain.

I have a 2.5 inch long incision with 10 stiches and it was my suggestion to the doctor to make the access as large as necessary to not have to perform a lot of squeezing and violent manipulation to get the hydrocele out. I think that has helped with a lot less pain for me, as compared to others on this post.

My doctor said the same thing as other posters. Do not lift anything or do anything physical for at least two weeks. Sex will be out of the question for four weeks, and the reason is because the last thing you want is your balls banging around, which is why a jockstrap with supporting gauze is what I left the surgery room with. By the way it has nothing to do with the physical act of ejaculation. I tried extra tight underwear to go outside with because the jockstrap and gauze bulge is so large, but it only cut into my groin area whereas the jockstrap did not. I sleep with it on to because gravity on my right ball is causing pain.

As the other poster said, I also have ice on it almost every waking minute and it has helped reduce the swelling on the right side of my groin and in my abdomen. The swelling feels like a strained muscle, soft on the surface but a hard knob below the skin. There is a black & blue area there too. I got concerned about the abdomen area not reducing and called the doctor over the weekend. He said that is to be expected. I’m doing a follow up with the doctor in two days about this abdomen bulge and will repost the results.

I’ve had this for so long I didn’t know my balls where this small ! Refund?

• Posted

I'm 60 years old. Any advice would be appreciated. Last several years noticed my right testicle was growing ever so larger as time went on. It was never huge, maybe the size a a small egg or golf ball. It never really bothered me. One Saturday I felt intense shooting pain in my right testicle. It progressively got worse and more prolonged until I went to emergency room 4 days later on a Wednesday. After ultrasound I was diagnosed with Hydrocele. Shortly thereafter I made an an appointment with Urologist who confirmed the Hydrocele. He recommended surgery as he stated aspiration is not a long term solution. I had my Hydrocelectomy on Friday 7/23/2021.

I went home from surgery with an athletic supporter the surgery team put on with lots of gauze and bandaging. I suppose all this was expected to this point. The pain was intense but manageable with meds through the next week. It was very difficult walking and going to bathroom for the first week, though the pain became less every day for the first few days. On third day after surgery I noticed the size of the Hydrocele had gone way down. Still had swelling and pain. Lots of icing.

After about 7 days, the pain started to get more intense as did the swelling. I felt the area it was like a small hockey puck or pancake on the Hydrocele side. This kind of freaked me out and while my scrotum felt drained after surgery, the swelling and size came back, as well as the sensation that my scrotum was refilling with fluid. I didn't want to complain too much at first. From everything I read about this procedure, I was hoping to be back on my feet after a couple weeks. 2 weeks to the day from my surgery was my follow up appointment with the Dr. I still had a lot of pain though he told me "let's wait a bit longer" and scheduled another follow up for 2 weeks later.

By the 4 week follow up, not only had the pain gotten more intense, the fluid seemed to come back. A new pain appeared which is a shooting pain in my lower abdomen above the hydrocele site. The sensation is like a shoe string connected from my testicle to my lower abdomen is connected and pulling back and forth between the two. The shape of my testicle still felt like hockey puck/pancake. The swelling and pain is much worse in the evenings than in the mornings. Dr. said it's not normal to have this much swelling and pain 4 week post. He gave me a course of antibiotic as a precaution for infection and told me to hang in there. The antibiotics were supposed to last over two weeks, but they made me nauseous and the pain was ever present.

With pain at incision site & worse pain in my abdomen I again called the Dr. who ordered another Ultrasound and scheduled another follow up. At the appointment 5 weeks post op, Dr. confirmed the Hydrocole was collecting fluid again. He told me in all the years he's been practicing he only had one other case where the Hydrocele came back...lucky me - NOT! He said he would REDO the hydrocelectomy whenever I wanted, but preferred waiting at least 3 months for healing.

Today as a write this, I am 2 days short of 8 weeks post op. Here's the weird thing. While the pain, particularly in my lower abdomen is still present most of the time, my testicle seems to be smaller. In fact I don't sense much fluid at all. The pain is still intense, certainly at incision site but worse in my lower abdomen. Also, I FEEL EVERYTHING. It's as if I can feel every nerve below my belly button. When I urinate I can feel the liquid flowing through my penis. Shooting pain up my abdomen all the way down to my anus. When I move my bowls it's as if I can feel every nerve in my intestines.

I don't know where to go from here. On one hand the swelling and fluid seem to be much less. The balloon that was my Hydrocele is has shrunk, which is a good thing. On the other hand I still have intense pain, mostly in my lower abdomen above the right testicle surgery site. I don't know if the pain and very acute ability to feel my nerve endings is a result of more loose skin around my scrotum, apparently from the reduction of fluid, or fluid absorbing back and forth between my right testicle and abdomen. I'm not even sure I need the second surgery. Should I get a second opinion? I just want to stop being in pain and get back to a normal life.

I know this post is long winded, but if anyone reads this, has a similar experience or has any advice, I'm all ears.

• Posted

I am on day 12 post surgery and the pain is still intense, although it is improving over time. I hope that by day 20, i will be fine.

• Posted

Did your pain go away eventually?

I'm currently on recovery day 12 and cannot stand or walk without excruciating pain. Laying in bed all day I came across this forum and was actually glad I wasn't the only one going through it all.

• Posted

hubby is day 10 post op and in horrific pain with pink discharge (a lot) hes on antibiotics due to being diabetic and had a fever and high glucose levels, im so worried about him, he cant sit it walk without horrific pain , any tips ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.