Exercise and Emphysema

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi i do not know yet how good or bad mine is until i have the test in 2 weeks. but have read you can stall it or inprove it with exercise.

But have read loads of things and exercise can soemone tell me how much your meant to do and what kind. IE threadmill walking biking ?

I have only done 2 miles walking so far that was yesterday, but even doing that i thought about all the rubbish from cars going past i breath in.

PS only reason i have not done much is because i am still loseing weight and doctors don't why. But i do think it's this acid reflux and me giving up loads of foods.

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

PS forgot to say on my notes from hospital all it says is emphysematous changes
  • Posted

Sorry to hear that you have problems with weight loss.

I try try to walk in the country side I also walk on the coast line and fortunate that I live at the coast  and usually do it  first thing on a morning when the air seems fresh . Hope this helps and I am sure others will post also. And 

• Posted

Thanks i live in the country and not far from the sea but hardly see it because i work for myself and do long hours.

Can i ask how many miles a day you do please, and has it made it any better.

• Posted

iwalk about 5 miles a day as well as been on my feet all day like you i am self employed and work long hours but i walk  at 6.00am and finish my work at work
    • Posted

i have only done 2 miles so far and with my job i sit down all day. but thanks for the advice.
  • Posted

I also have emphysema and COPD and also acid reflux. Since being diagnosed 6 months ago I have changed my diet and started walking at least a mile 4-5 times a week. So far I've lost about 10 lbs and recently started a pulmonary rehab program. Exercise, especially walking is super important with this disease and though it will never be reversed at least it can slow the progress. This being said I will continue to walk, eat right and follow the doctor's orders to have more quality in my life. Previous to my diagnosis I was very sedentary and exercised very little and ate a lot of junk food. Now with the diagnosis of emphysema I've quit smoking and tried to get on a better path to help myself. Still a scary thing though knowing I'm living with this disease.

• Posted

Hi i stopped eating cheese in jan and it cut my mucus down by laods then over the next few months stopped eating any dairy at all, and think that's why i am loseing weight all the time. Every month i lose 2kgs sad

I did my first 2 miles yesterday not done that many for years. But your right it's scary and i am worrdied all the time.

• Posted

Hi think we all have different levels or stages, I think you must listen to your body and do the very best you can don't overdo things. There's lots of advice and chat lines like this one will help you I find it such a comfort to read about people with the same illness and pick up tips and educate myself on the subject, doctors can sometimes be so vague. Good luck

• Posted

Hi it's not a good idea to cut all dairy out completely as it is an important food group.  Even if you are trying to lose weight you could still eat low fat and cottage cheese.  You can have skimmed milk as well. 

If you have copd whether chronic bronchitis or emphsyma it is important to lead a healthy lifestyle which included exercise.  There are ones online specially for copd but anything you like is good.  Pick something you like eg dancing,  tennis and so on and it's all good.  x

• Posted

Cut dairy out because of my acid reflux it sets my throat off and almost makes me panic. Not trying to lose weight at all this is why i have been to hospital and had ct scan which then found my lung problem, other wise i would never of known i had one.

They are still trying to see why i am loseing weight but i do think it's because of me stopping dairly.

• Posted

Fair enough John though it does worry me when someone cuts out a whole food group.  Make sure you get all the vitamins you need.

Does all dairy set it off?  Maybe it's only certain things?  x

• Posted

That is probably why I lost a little weight - my acid reflux was bothering me so bad that I finally heeded the doctor's advice and stopped eating many foods that I once enjoyed, especially pasta and Mexican foods and I no longer eat large meals or in the evening.  Also cut WAY back on sugary drinks like soft drinks and no more citrus or orange juice.  And to give myself more protein ( I rarely eat meat) I've been making homemade protein smoothies at home.  The worst part of my smoothies is that I like to put Greek Yogurt in them so I get some probiotics, but then I cut way back on dairy in other ways.  This has made a huge difference in the amount of mucus I was bringing up.  It's still an uphill battle but the better we take care of ourselves with diet and exercise the more our bodies have to fight illness and to slow the progression of our COPD or Emphysema.

• Posted

Yes all dairy set's it off and drives me mad. Don't take vitamins not sure which ones to take. but i can tell my body is changing because from loseing weight i feel week some times.

• Posted

Yes dairy made a huge difference to my mucus, i was told that my body will produce mucus to protect it fromt he acid.

I also stopped sugar only drinks i have are water and tea

some foods i don't eat

any dairy

red meat

pop

sweets

spicy foods

plus loads more of stuff i have cut down on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.