Exercise as a lifestyleges

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have done many things in my life that eventually became part of my daily routine.  Probably the mos advantageous as well as disadvantageous was exercise.  When I was a runner, I tried to run marathons.  Afterward, as a cyclist, I tried to race as well as ride daily in the Rockies and later, the Pyrenees. Somewhere in there I tried power lifting.  Being the extreme person I am, I was prone to overdoing it.  Going to an extreme made me prone to sports injuries.  That, along with helping friends work on their houses part time gradually led me to spinal stenosis as well as my THR 16 weeks ago.

Unfortunately,  still a small percentage of senior adults, like myself, do much daily exercise for an extended period of time.  Where I now live in Spain, exercise is seen as a must for all ages.  When living in my home country, the exact opposite was true. 

Nobody wants to to live forever but we all want a good quality of life at all all ages.  I am firmly convinced that my rapid recovery from THR was due to my pre surgery lifestyle.  After reading many excerpts as well as dissertations on this site I am also convinced that all exercise helps post surgery.  

Starting many years ago we would joke about people who decided to make exercise a daily regimen by running, working out, or cycling.  Unfortunately, devotion takes commitment.  

Now, my advice, for what it is worth is to stay off your butts and keep moving.  Quitting exercise because you feel good doesn’t make sense.  Do something, anything.  

Now I swim an hour a day, slowly, because I am not allowed to ski, ride my road bicycle, run, etc.  

Time me to get off my soap box

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hear, hear! 

Aquafit, Pilates, Yoga and good old walking for me 

Cheers

Ann

• Posted

I did the hip class at the physio dept at the hospital where I had my op at 2 weeks post op. That was a 30 min circuit class with 10 different exercises for 3 mins per station. Kneeling to standing, squats, sideways walking, balance, cycling, walking machine, sitting to  standing, stairs, adduction and something else I can’t temember. That was every 2 weeks for 6 weeks. Then I started clinical Pilates at the physio dept for a one hour class every week for 6 weeks. At 5 weeks I could drive so went back to gym and did a routine based on the hip circuit 3 times a week plus half hour exercise in the pool after the gym sessions. Rejoined aquafit and Pilates classes at 12 weeks then Yoga a few weeks after that. I currently do Pilates and aqua fit Tues to Fri and Yoga once a week. Also a lot of walking. Have just started gardening again too. Being active elevated my mood, helps both my hips and helps me sleep really well. 

Regards 

Ann

• Posted

I’m semi retired but always worked shifts in the past so managed to fit things around work. Nowadays I prioritise exercise and fit work around that. 
  • Posted

The fitter you are before a hip op the better, also your age and weight also play a part.
    • Posted

Agree.

Also important are positive attitude and focus on doing what is necessary for a successful recovery.

• Posted

I completely agree.

I am 73 and have cycled regularly for the last 20 years or so. Normally around 50 miles a week but it could be more if I subscribed to a sportive event (these are usually 40 miles and upwards in a single outing).

My THR was about 20 weeks ago and I have read with disquiet the trials and tribulations of fellow "hippies" on their recovery journeys.

I have certainly not experienced any great difficulties and have now recovered sufficiently to get back cycling. I've done several shortish rides (up to 10 miles) without any repercussions. My confidence is such that I've re-fitted my clip-in pedals and hope to start extending my mileage as the weather here in the UK improves.

I can only assume that my uneventful recovery stems at least partly from my fitness levels before the operation. I would certainly urge any other oldies to get out and do some exercise even if it's only cycling for 30 mins a few times a week.

I'm just a bit surprised that you say you are not allowed to road cycle again. I would have thought that was an ideal low impact form of exercise to aid recovery.

• Posted

Totally agree. Important to avoid too much sitting and do some kind of "moving."

Walking is something that doesn't require any special equipment nor a special place. Can do it anywhere.

Yesterday I was a bit achy, but it didn't stop me from walking. Afterward I felt great that I accomplished my goal. I'm still not walking as much as I used to prior to THR (14 weeks ago tomorrow) but know I will get there. (Just wish this thigh stiffness would go away.)  My husband did ask me if I was taking my cane and I said NO because I don't want to rely on it. Besides, it reminds me of before surgery when I was in pain and needed it so much. Now no pain  (Yay!) and just some aches and occasional "twitches" in the thigh which I think are the nerves telling me they are accommodating to the healing changes.

We all can do it!!

• Posted

Hi

That is what scares me about an operation. I do not want to stop exercising. I want to run, ski, moterbike, bike, etc... I am trying to get better without surgery. I have shown improvement but still have a way to go. How do you manage without doing what you love? I am only 50

T

• Posted

Teresa, the key is adapting to your condition.  We all need to change what we are doing.  This doesn’t mean everything.  
    • Posted

Why don’t you investigate whether you’d be suitable for a resurfacing rather than a replacement? I had one on my right hip as I was considered too young for a THR. Same restrictions for 6 weeks Re 90 degrees, not twisting etc. But after that you can ski, play rugby, or whatever you want.
    • Posted

Hi Teresa, having your hip replaced doesn’t mean you have to stop all the things that you love. I don’t run anymore, that was the one thing that my surgeon specifically asked me to stop doing. But like Ducksoup I now swim regularly which I really enjoy, and I also walk, bike and ski. My surgeon is fine with that. Good luck, Judith 
    • Posted

I only wish I could downhill ski since we live 20min from resorts.  The neurosurgeons put the quits on that one
    • Posted

I sympathise with you, because I would be disappointed if I couldn’t ski anymore. But obviously our health has to come first, and I enjoy reading about your life in the Pyrenees! I know that you make the most of all the stuff that you can do, like your swimming.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.