Exercise as a lifestyleges

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have done many things in my life that eventually became part of my daily routine.  Probably the mos advantageous as well as disadvantageous was exercise.  When I was a runner, I tried to run marathons.  Afterward, as a cyclist, I tried to race as well as ride daily in the Rockies and later, the Pyrenees. Somewhere in there I tried power lifting.  Being the extreme person I am, I was prone to overdoing it.  Going to an extreme made me prone to sports injuries.  That, along with helping friends work on their houses part time gradually led me to spinal stenosis as well as my THR 16 weeks ago.

Unfortunately,  still a small percentage of senior adults, like myself, do much daily exercise for an extended period of time.  Where I now live in Spain, exercise is seen as a must for all ages.  When living in my home country, the exact opposite was true. 

Nobody wants to to live forever but we all want a good quality of life at all all ages.  I am firmly convinced that my rapid recovery from THR was due to my pre surgery lifestyle.  After reading many excerpts as well as dissertations on this site I am also convinced that all exercise helps post surgery.  

Starting many years ago we would joke about people who decided to make exercise a daily regimen by running, working out, or cycling.  Unfortunately, devotion takes commitment.  

Now, my advice, for what it is worth is to stay off your butts and keep moving.  Quitting exercise because you feel good doesn’t make sense.  Do something, anything.  

Now I swim an hour a day, slowly, because I am not allowed to ski, ride my road bicycle, run, etc.  

Time me to get off my soap box

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I can’t remember if you told me already.  When did you start at the pool as I have been told by physio 2 months and I think earlier would be benificial but I am still on crutches. GP Dr said I could LF go to cane but I limp when I do.  So went back to crutches.

But want to get more active  

• Posted

It’s usual to be allowed into the pool to exercise, walking, squats, adduction etc as soon as your wound is healed. Maybe the physio meant no swimming till 8 weeks. I went to the pool as soon as I was allowed to drive to the gym which was 5 weeks. 

Regards

Ann

• Posted

I returned to the pool at 6 weeks as well as started to ride my mountain bike to and from the gym on hills.  No problems other than some tightness that continues to abate at almost week 17.
    • Posted

Thanks Annie.  

I am 4 weeks post op and think I am going to pool this week. 

I had asked about kick board and kicking and was told no, but I will got and do some other stuff that you mentioned, as I thought long as I don’t do breast stroke I should be okay

• Posted

Thanks Ducksoap. 

I will check out pool this week as I am 4 week post right THR and needing to do something 

else. We have a Max trainer I was going to start back to as well.  

I love biking but with the wet weather we have right now the roads are slippery. I need to wait a bit longer I think but hoping soon.  

It’s been over a year since I could get on bike.  It was to painful.  

Excited to get on with life.  

Love hearing about your life and activity in Pyrenees 

My surgeon said I can drive But my husband wants me to wait a bit longer   

• Posted

OMG I know just how you feel!   Acceptance is extremely difficult!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.