Exercise Intolerance - severe cramping in calves

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm praying someone has some helpful advice! I am a 36 year old female who started having this problem just after I turned 18 and started college. When I walk at a slightly fast pace (walking the dog, crossing a parking lot, etc) or go up any type of incline my calf muscles start to burn. It gets very hard to walk. It's almost as if my calf muscles are locking up yet I can still walk. As soon as I stop walking, the pain is completely gone in 15 minutes or less. I don't seem to get a second wind if I keep moving, only if I totally stop and rest. My arms and upper legs are effected as well, but not as much. For my thighs, it's mostly more of a tired/out-of-energy feeling when climbing stairs. I get about halfway up a single flight of stairs before the pain starts. My arms are effected by writing more than a couple of sentences and repetative motions like putting things away in an upper cabinet, loading groceries into the car, brushing my hair, etc. I have to sit down to put on lace-up shoes because bending over causes leg pain as well. The calf pain with walking really seems to depend on the day. Some days I can only walk half a block before the pain starts and other days I can go a few blocks. I have seen a neurologist off and on for 18 years but she hasn't been much help. I have a long list of things it is NOT, but no definite diagnosis. After doing my own research, I'm convinced that it's a metabolic muscle disease but I'm not sure which one. Mahybe Glycogen Storage Type 7 or 5? Or maybe myoadenylate deaminase deficiency. I would love to find people with similar symptoms or these specific disorders so I can pick their brains for ideas! I am switching to a new neurologist in 2 months but with all that I've been through, I'm not holding out too much hope for an answer. I have had lots of blood tests, EMGs, a brain MRI, a muscle biopsy, a genetic test or 2 (myotonia congenita test was done for sure), autonomic testing, etc. There are a few irregularities in some of the results, but nothing specific to any one disorder. Can anyone help me????

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Veggie,

I am not sure if you will still see this but I figured it was worth a shot. Like you, I began with the burning calf muscle pain when I was 18. Since then it has worked its way up my whole body- I feel burning when squatting down, pouring milk carton (arms) blow drying hair (arms), chewing chewy foods (jaw), holding myself  up when sitting (back), flexing my feet, walking up slight inclines etc. I also suffer with exhausting fatigue and recurring illnesses- almost like colds or flus but I sometimes don’t even get the actual sickness but it’s like my body gets stuck and can’t fight it off so I often feel like the day you are getting the flu- lousy achy blah etc. I wanted to reach out to potentially brainstorm together and to help us both realize we are not alone. Hope to hear from you soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.