Exercise plan

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I'm reading all about when and how you have all been advised to exercise and leaflets you have been given. I haven't been told to do or shown any exercises at all by my surgeon or PT. They just said I could walk as much as I want. I'm now concerned that this may slow me down or hinder my recovery. I am four weeks post op and had Posteria. xx

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, the leaflet I was given and the excercises I was shown were also on YouTube . The were very simple excercises like marching on the spot, raising your knees , raising up on tip toe and down. Moving leg to side and back etc

When I saw surgeon yesterday I told him I hadn't had physio and he said to keep walking as that was fine. Different advice from everyone you speak to. X

• Posted

Thanks so much I will take a look on YouTube. I do stairs a lot as live in a house with up stairs loo, I also walk alot too but do think there must be more.xx
  • Posted

Walking is the best exercise but you also need to stretch those muscles, doing sideways movements, pulling your knees up etc before your muscles tighten and you are back to where you started. You can find suitable exercises online. Good luck
  • Posted

You need to do some gentle strength exercises and you need to ask your surgeon specifically if you have and restrictions in movement. Open hand gentle massage over incision so you don't pucker up and create scar tissue. Walking in water as soon as surgeon allows.

• Posted

Also the exercises for anterior hip replacement is very different from posterior replacement so beside you specify for your type of replacement.
    • Posted

Thanks Jill, I have to say my incision is amazing. after just four weeks it's just a smooth thin line. I have had a few ops in my time but this is the neatest scar I have. xx

• Posted

I know my mother's experience of hip replacements started 30 years ago now (2 replacements and 2 revisions) but when I asked her about exercises she said she was never given any and she was just told to walk.  She managed very well without any exercises.  The problems she had were all due to a hip replacement which was too loose from the get go, a revision during which her femur was shattered and a very old replacement which went through her femur when she tripped up.  She is now fully wired up on both sides down to her knees but keeps going.

• Posted

Of course everyone's experience is different and techniques used now are very different from 30 years ago. The best thing to do when no specific directions from the surgeon is to use your own discretion. Do not to anything if it hurts but keep moving with gentle stretching and gentle strengthening. It is ok to be uncomfortable but if it hurts then you are pushing too hard. Anything that hurts will set you back in the long run.

• Posted

Thank Sylvie for the information. That's what  I was told also. xx

• Posted

My orthopedic surgeon sent me to physical therapy 3 X week for 6 weeks after I came home from being in the hospital 3 days. I had a LTHR. I'm in the USA.

• Posted

Hi. Cindy

Me neither at around 4 months I went to my GP to ask for physio. I waited another 6 weeks before I started. My physio said my muscles were really weak and since I have been doing my exercises and been having some deep massages things have improved. So see your GP and try to get some physio it really helps. It's amazing the difference in getting it post surgery in different parts of the country. I am in Derbyshire. Even a couple of physio appointments post surgery would really help instead of just saying just walking.

Be persistent!

Best wishes julie

• Posted

Thanks Julie I will look into it. I don't see my surgeon again untill 7th August and my op was 21st June. I need to be doing something I think but it's hard to know what. Will book in to see my GP

• Posted

look up post hip replacement surgery exercises, and go with the hospital sites, some are very good, and exactly the same as was handed to me at my hospital here in australia.

No physio except when you first get out of bed, and they hand you a booklet on what to do.

It is a must you follow the exercises, they give you, or thats what we were told at information session prior to surgery, they are designed to exercise not just your legs but your pelvis muscles and buttock muscles as well.

I had to have help expecailly with left side replacement, and I was told just lots of repeats of exercises and not to hurt myself, that would delay recovery.

DO not look for the daily recovery from surgery, at best any comparisions are to be weekly, and then you really do notice the differences.

• Posted

Cindy

I went to see a physio privately. Even if you just go twice you can get an exercise plan and then continue on your own.

I think the key things are

Getting your leg to straighten at the knee.

Getting your leg to move a little bit backwards when you walk.

Other movements are good but if you can do those two you'll walk better.

Mike

• Posted

Thanks Michael for the suggestion. You're right what your saying. Those are the areas I need to strengthen. Will give it a go. 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.