Exercise, when can I start and how much

Posted , 6 users are following.

7 weeks recovery tomorrow and I'm feeling good. I've been out walking gently this week built it up to about 30-40 mins. I'm hoping to start swimming next week but would like advice, Can't feel many stitches now so think I could be ready.

im 44 and up until my op I was very active which included swimming 2.5kms a week (100 lengths of a 25m pool twice a week in an hour) I've been doing this for the last 7 years 

obviously im not going to be able to do anything like that at the moment but i would like to do a little swim as I'm missing it so much my body is crying out for the flexibility and weightlessness the pool gives.

how long should I swim for?? And do you think it's ok at 7 weeks?

rectocele and bowl Plication op is what I'm recovering from.

thanks girls

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think you should be fine to swim as long as your stitches have healed and you don't have any water infections. Take it gently to start maybe not butterfly and breaststroke might prove to be a little uncomfortable for your lower back at the moment so see how you feel. I am an expert in this field of sport and remedial exercise.

Enjoy I'm jealous!!!!

• Posted

I'm healing beautifully thank goodness (I had such a bad time 9yrs ago with hysterectomy, it was horrific) this time unlike last, the op has gone well and although I get tired which you expect I've had no issues with infections. 

I will ill take it really easy and see how my body copes.

I'm finding it really hard to find out apart from swimming and walking, what sort of excercise you are allowed to do and when, somewhere I read says low impact and when I YouTube they all seem to have weights and high kicks, which I know I'm not trying yet,

any advice?

Mik x

• Posted

Hello. Swimming is absolutely fine but there's no hard and fast rule as to how long you should swim for. It's still a case of listening to your body so as soon as you get tired, stop. Don't push yourself because by doing so you'll feel worse the following day. It's the same with all exercise and day to day chores. Remember you feel better but you're not fully recovered.
  • Posted

Whast repair did you have hun? I hasf anterior 12 days ago feeling OK but I didn't realise how heavy id

Feel down there. Also bulge by my entrance to front wall.xx

• Posted

Hi WG

I had a prosterior repair with recital plication 7 weeks ago today. Nhs are amazing for operating on Saturdays hats off to them all!.

I still get a full feeling down there too; even now but I keep up with pelvic floor exercises and they really do help a lot, just take each day as it comes and rest as much as you can, 12 days is still very early. Everything takes time and remember as everyone says we only get this one chance to heal properly, hopefully we will all get some warmer weatner to help with all the healing we are all doing

Take care everyone and enjoy your long weekend xx

• Posted

Ahh good luck to you hun. What is recital plicstion? Me and gill haver done noting for 11,days lol.we intend to be goodgirls😘😘
    • Posted

It's a tuck in lower bowel to help with emptying my bowel, I've suffered with severe constipation all my life and although it's

More stitches it's made such a difference already!

Well done for doing nothing. I did exactly the same and I'm so glad I did, it pays off in the long run, I still have quiet days now and I'm still not hoovering as I'm not ready luckily my husband and 16yr son are dab hands now xx

• Posted

Well lovely I wiusdh you all the best..did yuou have bulges when healing??

Shasme the consultant s don't tell us ladies what's normal swelling because like me

I freask out.no note looking for me for another 4 weeks. X

• Posted

I meant no more looking!!xx
    • Posted

Yes I thought I was bulging and I think it was day 12 a quick shout out on here and Matron set my mind at ease, pelvic wall stitches muscles all tightening up in the healing process, she was dead right a few days on and it all had calmed down, can't fault any of the advice on here we all help reassure each other, so glad I've found this forum it's a godsend!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.