Exercises

Posted , 10 users are following.

It seems everyone is told different things by different hospitals. I was told I should do pelvic floor exercises after the catheter came out, other people are told not for 6 weeks. I'm confused. If you were told to wait what reasons were you given. I get no pain when clenching my pelvic floor but don't want to do any damage by doing exercises too soon.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rosie, I was also told to start pelvic floor exercises straight away so have been doing. Hope we are doing the right thing! It's so difficult to know how much walking etc to do. Because some days when I walk I get pelvic pains then feel shattered the next day. What about you?
    • Posted

Tbh I've only be walking for a few minutes every hour or two. I decided before the op that I was going to stay off my feet and in bed for 14 days. I do the exercises for circulation too so I'm not worried about dvt. I'm being overly cautious but that's the way I'm going to be for a long time. I don't walk for long enough to get any aching down below. I'm lucky because my kids are grown up and my Neanderthal boyfriend is totally on board and actually suggested I be more cautious than I need to be. X
  • Posted

Rosie a lot depends on the type of sutures used during the operation and the extent of the repair. Always do as your consultant recommends despite what others are advised x
    • Posted

Of course, I didn't think about that. Mine was a straightforward anterior repair with sutures so probably fine to start the exercises. X
    • Posted

think mines was same as urs Rosie71 , an anterior repair with just sutures x
  • Posted

Hi Rosie

I was given a chart with does and donts on a time scale. Happy to send to you if you pm me your e mail addy. Not saying it's right but there's detailed info on there that a lot of ladies have said is useful X

• Posted

No problem X just pm me your e mail addy xx
    • Posted

I know you offered to Rosie, but I would so love a copy if that's OK?
    • Posted

Hi Rosie. Could Itriuble you for a couple of the dos and don'ts.i will email you my address.

Thankyou.

• Posted

No problem . Just pm me your e mail address xx
    • Posted

Thank you. Can I just ask you, I don't think I have infection as feel okay and no temperature, but have noticed a smell. Is some of that normal with the discharge. Just wandering if you had the same thing.

Hope your getting on okay. This forum certainly helps.

• Posted

Hi Linda

I didn't have a temperature either just an unpleasant smell. I had to go to a and e to see a dr as my GP wouldn't see me as I'd had the op done privately, needless to say I'm changing my GP ! I was given antibiotics which seem to be working xxx if in doubt I'd see the doctor xx

• Posted

Please remember ladies when you're sharing do's and don't 's that depending on the type of catgut that's used when suturing and other differences in procedures not everything will be the same.
    • Posted

thats a good point matron i didnt even think of that x

• Posted

Hi Matron

The chart I have is a general one for ladies that have had pelvic floor surgery. I have offered as lots of ladies seem to be given no guidelines of what they are aren't able to do. I'm happy to send it to you if you would like to see it.

Kind regards

X

• Posted

It's something we as a group (Urogynaecologists, research nurses and senior nurses) are having to consider when we are drawing up our post op care leaflets and that's why it's taking us longer than we anticipated.
    • Posted

It's ok Rosiepix I'm sure it's absolutely fine and probably a general advice leaflet which I know will be very useful. Pelvic floor exercises is the main difference which we've all discussed anyway. It's great that you're sharing x
    • Posted

Thanks. If it is still there on Tuesday after the Easter I will go to GP. Feeling fine and no temperature, only a slight discharge which is smelly.

• Posted

I had a smell with slight discharge but it did get worse and had to go get antibiotics from doctor x
    • Posted

Helen

I will keep an eye on it, but feeling okay it myself. Just that dragging feeling when you know you need to lay down.

• Posted

Rosie I would like to see ur chart if u could send me it too. X
    • Posted

Of course Jan , you'll need to pm me your e mail addy x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.