Exercises

Posted , 10 users are following.

Good morning can anyone advise if its ok to use exercise bike and treadmill? its coming up to 14 weeks since my right hip replacement, i am hoping to go to a spa where there is a gym. I am having a few days away and would like to do something to strengthen my new hip and prepare for my second hip replacement on the 1st April, I certainly wont be jogging as I know my limitations but just being cautious hence my message thank you Cyndey

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi cyndey

i am now 8 weeks post op and had my meeting with surgeon at 5 weeks.....he advised i could use treadmill, cross trainer and bike....must raise bike seat higher than normal though..... good luck

• Posted

Thank you Margaret you sound as if you are doing well how was it? Did you manage ok I am a little nervous i havent had any advice at all on physiotherapy except walking

• Posted

was really nervous but getting more confident now as my gym instructor very good but i am cautious and my attitude is slow and steady wins the race......i am going to go in baby pool to walk and do my hospital exercises in the water .....good luck xxxx

• Posted

Sounds good great idea to exercise in water! I wouldnt be able to do the walking in water due to having a dropped foot, but can still do certain exercises in water, its just getting enough confidence to get into the pool

• Posted

Cyndey,

I started using my elliptical walker at around week ten, tentatively at first then realized it never hurt so just started using as normal. Enjoy and good luck.

• Posted

Cheers i am looking forward to doing something as i am going stir crazy!

• Posted

I was back on my ordinary bike by about week 8 I think, and was told it was ok. Enjoy your spa break, and good luck with your next op!

• Posted

Thank you Judith, I am not much of a cycle rider now since i had my back problems, had three lots of surgery on my spine which caused scar tissue build up resting on my sciatic nerves which caused a footdrop so now I have to wear an ankle brace to hold my foot up so I can walk without tripping over! then hip problems on top of it all which limits me a bit so far as exercising is concerned but doing a little bit is better than nothing , great you are doing so well keep up the good work thanks again

• Posted

Yes, I was allowed full gym at just a few weeks - but do check with your surgeon of physio.

Best sort of bike is the recumbant type - the seat is flatter and more comfortable.

• Posted

hey rocketman i am using the different bike so seat height can be raised and its fine.....my Gym trainer/physio gave guidance on height for the 90 degree restrictions

• Posted

Thats fine, but this type is so much more comfortable, especially for non-people not used to sitting on a bike.

• Posted

I agree I find that sort of bike much more comfortable and I will take note of the 90 degree position thanks

• Posted

Hi Cyndey, I live in North East England. I got a doctor's referral to my local leisure centre. I started at 4 weeks post op. Initially, I used the recumbent bike, the threadmill and an arm cycle machine. This was an hour long class, followed by an hour long cardio class, by week 6 post op, I was taking part in badminton class. Not fairing great on picking the shuttle c**k off the floor but managed to when needed. As the weeks went on, I have been introduced to other machines in the gym and have been put on a particular programme. As part of my phased return to work and in preparation for my other hip replacement I have continued going twice weekly and every other chance I could get. I intend to return as soon as possible, but will be starting right back at the beginning again.

My left hip pre op was the worst, I had displagia and severe arthritis. My right hip has not been quite as bad. The physio between ops has stood me in good stead. I have greater range of movement in my newly operated hip than in my previous one.

Do get yourself along to a gym as soon as you feel able. Ensure you are put on a programme suitable to your needs if they do not operate specific rehabilitation programmes.

Good luck!

• Posted

HI Elizabeth thank you so much for your advice, I am also from the North East where abouts are you? I would love to get back to the gym but without any guidance its a bit of a risk, when I went for my check up my surgeon said to do what was comfortable, so going to do a bit more walking as i am going to stay at a friends where its nice and flat, i live where its very hilly. I am having a couple of days away where there is a gym and i will try the bike treadmill etc may i ask how old you are? i am 73 in may i miss going to the gym how did you go about it? was it your GP that helped you? sounds like you are doing well which is fantastic thanks again and keep up the good work Elizabeth

Best Wishes

Cyndey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.