Exercising causing diverticulitis?

Posted , 38 users are following.

I was diagnosed with diver about 4 years ago but have probably had it much longer now I know what it is. Recently I have read some interesting forum posts suggesting that certain types of exercise appears to be causing flare ups. Strangely, I have been a lifelong exerciser but in phases and most recently, every time I am in an exercise phase it seems I have had an attack within a few weeks.  I know this sounds crazy but it really fits in with the pattern.  When I am not exercising I am completely well.  I am interested to know if anyone else can relate to this?  Thanks.

3 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

well i have the same question.

this weeknd a flare up occurred and yes ive been about 5 weeks into exercise routine at home.

sure my waist had shrunk during my workout period but now 1 day into liquid diet and antibiotics all i want to do is sleep . my fever has broke .

i hoping that someone else has found a workaround for fitness if regular normal stuff doesnt go well with D

I CANT RUN . due to my back. but walking is fine but im looking to do more in my mid 50's.

maybe pilates or yoga if I CANT continue with normal regular stuff.

regards

• Posted

I've always done pilates and yoga off and on since 2004 both straight pilate and pilate/yoga sessions are beginner . however I'm now 62 with diverticulosis for 4 years . Recently started to do these routines more consistently at home early October. Since starting I've had two attacks with sharp stomach pains and sore stomach I'm in the middle of the 2nd attack and it occurred to me i haven't changed my diet but recently started the consistent pilates/yoga now I'm going to no longer do those exercises.

• Posted

I completely understand what you are describing. Before being diagnosed with diverticulitis, I had my first episode in September, a couple of years ago, and after a day or so of feeling feverish and unwell, I recovered but my tummy ache would not go till I stopped all exercises. Then in the spring I thought I'd start my yoga again and a couple of hours after, I ended up in bed with a terrible chill, I was soo cold and only by staying in bed till evening with hot water bottle did I get better. I took it easy for a few days, then did a yoga session. same thing happened and it was worse. I realised it had to be the yoga and so stopped. I then went on a strenuous walk up hill one day, and same thing, tummy ache and exhaustion. Couldn't do anything for a while and had to stop walking unless easy walking. A week ago I restarted very gentle yoga, last night I had a bad tummy and I know that it has to be the yoga. I think it's every time I do the Bridge pose. I put too much strain on the abdominal muscle. Before reading this post, I kept thinking I must have some kind of hernia as if you look on medical sites who talk of diverticulitis, they say exercise has no effect on diverticulitis but this post shows that's not true.

• Posted

Its funny because I was doing some intense bends while sitting on a chair when I got the dreaded diverticulitis and ended up in the hospital. Never even knew what diverticulosis was until then. I have never done that type of exercise again. I've done and do different things, but its mainly swimming and walking. It has always been in the back of my head, to never do that again. I had corn that evening as well. But hell, I had been eating corn since I was probably a year old and never had any issues previously. I was 25 when this all happened.

• Posted

Ive often thought my flare ups were caused by exercise, i was convinced i had some sort of hernia as well, but maybe it is just the diverticulitis.

when i due leg raises or something similar i feel a pull sensation in the lower left abdomen, then later my guts go crazy finally levelling off to the acute pain we all know.

i was in hospital three weeks ago. yesterday i felt better so i went to gently hit a few golf balls. halfway through i felt a pull/tear sensation, now this morning i have pain developing, rumbling guts etc.

very interesting that others have this as well, quite comforting its not just me!

• Posted

I have the samething...I was almost a year free of pain..then I went on a diet and started exercising...I've done this before also...everytime I get on the treadmill within weeks I get a flareup..

• Posted

I wasn't sure either. After I healed from from my first large flare up I started working again. I am an Auto mechanic and I am always up and down in sit up fashion, so, the following day I had a mild flare up. When I exercise or play my drums I get flare ups as well. I was upset with my doctor this week because the flare ups I am having are not making sense. Because of this forum I feel confident that the job and exercise are playing a part. I have already been unsuccessful in attempting a career change, so, I am going to have to figure out how to remain productive in Auto repair.

Thank you, and, I hope this helps.

RolandS52

• Posted

hey I also am a mechanic and I recently had a flare up still on anti biotic but was feeling better. put a trans in a semi felt good git home and was so tierd. then I wanted to throw up after not able to eat my dinner. woke up in the middle of the night sweatting and nauseated. I belive I over did it. but I love my job. I will also have to find a way to do my job and stay healthy.

• Posted

so i can relate to your experience i must say. ive been doing hardcore abs exercise from last 6 months. crunches, leg raises, twists everything. and i had slight discomfort in my left side of stomach for only 1-2 days, left side of my intestine, this was 2 months back..but now its gotten worse. now im having some real pressure like feeling in the same place countinuous from 1 week, the symptoms are same as diverticulitis. but im still not sure if this happens coz of abs exercise, coz there was a time when i was doing hardcore workout and it didnt pain, and im having pain now even though i haven't exercised from past 15 days ie even before the pain started.

• Posted

amandose...I swear my fistula was caused by doing meditation before yoga.. sitting on the rugged floor...I think it somehow caused the fistula...now I know I'm not crazy

• Posted

and I've been on the treadmill for months recently because of high blood pressure and anxiety... this conversation really makes me wonder...because before all this I was not eating very healthy and taking klonapin as needed...never felt better...and ever since I started 12 5 mg of hydrochlorothiazide for blood pressure the bowel and now fistula are acting up. The drugest and doctors look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them this...I swear the bp meds was the straw that broke the camels back here along with the exercise...tell me im not imagining this?

• Edited

i thought i was crazy for a while!! i am 52 years old and started having diverticulitis hospitalizations @38 years old!! i am a personal trainer and have always exercised!! the last few flare ups seem to happen as i increased repetitions or new classes! since i got out of hospital a few weeks ago i have not worked out cuz im terrified!! exercise is my life and im soo depressed w/o it!! i am still doing treadmill n bike but its not enough!!!

• Posted

I'm 63 and was wondering the same thing.. just diagnosed 3 days ago in the ER. Started exercising in March, it makes me feel SO much better, both physically and mentally. Now I'm scared and unsure what is appropriate- I don't want to end up in ER again.

• Posted

Thanks for posting this. I had my first attack 3 days ago, came out of nowhere and ended up in the ER. I'm now on a myriad of antibiotics, pain medication. At my follow up with my MD yesterday I asked her what the heck?!? I've been a vegetarian for over a year, do strength exercise 2-3 times a week, yoga the other two. She told me that medicine has not figured out the causes of diver yet, just seems counter intuitive to me. Any thoughts or suggestions would be so appreciated. 🙂

• Edited

hello

I've been living with diver about 6 years. My flairups are never diet induced. Ab exercizes or lifting anything over 40lbs triggers flairups for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.