Exercising causing diverticulitis?

Posted , 38 users are following.

I was diagnosed with diver about 4 years ago but have probably had it much longer now I know what it is. Recently I have read some interesting forum posts suggesting that certain types of exercise appears to be causing flare ups. Strangely, I have been a lifelong exerciser but in phases and most recently, every time I am in an exercise phase it seems I have had an attack within a few weeks.  I know this sounds crazy but it really fits in with the pattern.  When I am not exercising I am completely well.  I am interested to know if anyone else can relate to this?  Thanks.

3 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I teach martial arts for a living. I am overweight (too much standing around teaching and not enough working).

I have had some physical therapy on my back and was feeling loose and good enough to start sparring again. I had a sneaking suspicion that I had a hernia or problems with my diver after I sparred as after about 48 hours (normal delay for me to feel sore after working out) I would have pretty intense lower ab pain usually for 2-3 days. After that the bowel issues and constipation would start for another 3-4 days.

I didn't think about it being diver related. I have not been to my GP again about it but it seems to fit. I had a CT scan 1.5 years ago where they (once again) saw the diver but no hernia. I just had a colonoscopy with not mention of a hernia (not sure if they would see that anyway)

All signs point to diver. I can't stop kicking - its my job. What do I do? Is there a treatment to prevent flair-ups of this type?

Thoughts?

• Posted

I am so glad to hear that I'm not the only one this is happening to.

6 yrs ago i had a 6" section of my colon removed, since then, when i start up exercising from my vacation slumber or inactive phase, i will get a bout of diverticulitis it will take me down for a couple of weeks. Really discouraging! Does anybody know if there is a way around this, or why is this happening?

This time i feel it in my abdomen and my Sciatic nerve going down my leg.

• Posted

I'm new to this forum and I can't get enough of it. it speaks to every area of my upside down world right now. I am an active 66 year old woman who has just experienced a first time diverticulitis attack. I wasn't even aware i had a diverticulosis condition until i ended at the ER with severe abdominal pain, vomiting and all the rest. CT scan showed acute attack with perforated bowel and 2 abscesses. i was hospitalized for 2 weeks and recently started introducing low residue foods to my diet. the fatigue is the most depressing part. I've started to do small walks, not too bad. I want to do some stretches mainly because my back aches so much but i can't believe how much this condition has intimidated me. Afraid to do much of anything. So much contradiction on the internet. That's why this site feels like I've hit a gold mine. Good information. If anyone has had good luck with certain exercises please share. Thanks!

• Posted

I can only suggest what works for me as I had to stop yoga, pilates and any other gym based exercise. I now do Tai Chi /qi gong which keeps you supple and strong. I also do a 5 mile walk once a week and shorter walks in between. I also cycle and swim. I'm 70. Just going through a bad flare up. I did some gardening and that was enough to start the diver so you learn what triggers it. Also worth mentioning that drinking bone broth got me back on my feet and I never take antibiotics. Best wishes

• Edited

Hi

I'm 5 weeks into a flare up after 18 months.

No dietary advice from GP's so consulted a dietician privately. The low residue diet is definitely helping, but I cannot do what I want on a daily basis. I've done a walk 2o minutes, then after a rest some housework, including washing floor on hands and knees! So is this too much for one morning. Stomach feeling it and I'm lying on the couch. Same happened earlier in the week, walk plus a little gardening.

Isn't it frustrating, does anyone else have these issues, as I don't class these as exercise, as in the gym for example.

I have stopped swimming for the same reasons, everything feels pulled after that.

Have I read somewhere on here you can gave a hernia? Regards to everyone on here it's not easy.

• Posted

i have had 2 colonoscopies, 1 at age 50 and another due to recurrent abdominal pain i was told that i have a lot of diverticulae The past few years i feel that I've noticed a coincidence between a flare up of pain after lifting very heavy objects i recently brought in my 60 pound garden pillars for the winter and had another episode It seems to take a few days to a week to get bad I was starting to wonder if maybe I have a hernia, but found this thread and don't feel like I'm imagining a correlation any more just my two cents

• Posted

Your not crazy Ive had diverticulitis for 4 yrs i had two bouts about three yrs ago . I stayed away from trigger foods. Im also dealing with an uterine prolapse and rectocle so I decided to start pelvic floor therapy back up after three yrs. I went and had therapy that night my lower rt area bottom of stomach started to hurt, I thought I had pulled something but then the next day it was in lower left where I usually get the diverticulitis attack. So went to ER and sure enough it was. I had no problems for three yrs and did the pelvic floor therapy and BAM! Ive lost alot of weight because this time it was bad. I had colonoscopy done and it showed diverticulosis so anyhow no your not crazy. I need to exercise but i guess walking will be it. Ive lost so much butt muscle and my rear end it flat! Id love to improve that area for sure. But, dont want the pain.

• Posted

So happy to have found this page and people who are experiencing the same thing... diverticulitis flares with heavy exercise. I started with my first diverticulitis about 18 years ago. I've had several flares over the years managed with antibiotics or just liquid/low residue diet. Over the past year+ I've had recurring bouts and have noticed it's whenever I restart lifting weights/core exercise, forcing me to stop for a while. I then restart and have another flare. I am 54 and do not want to stop exercising. I've had a surgical consult after my last severe bout and I'm about the schedule surgery. She expects to take 12-18 inches of my colon where it is narrowed, thin and scarred. Has anyone had surgery for diverticulitis and been able to resume their exercise without difficulty/flares?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.