Exhausted....what will help?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a flare up about 9 days ago. Still on antibiotics. Still nauseous at times. No real pain anymore in my stmach....but I just feel bad all of the time. And exhausted! Although it's not possible due to work I wish I could just l as y down all day. Anybody have any ideas on how to get past this?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Listen to your body. The exhaustion is part of the healing process. Understand that even though you are pain-free, your body is still trying to heal itself. This can take weeks to a month or more. Rest when you can. Take it easy and often as you can. Your body will let you know when you’re ready to do more.
  • Posted

Thank you. It is just so hard.
    • Posted

It is hard. We’ve all been there. It will get better. I’m 46 and had a mild case of uncomplicated diverticulitis (no abscess, no IV antibiotics, no surgery), and it’s been over two months and I’m still only at about 90% strength/stamina-wise. Just be kind to yourself and listen to your body. Each week you’ll feel a little stronger than the last.
    • Posted

I know it will get better eventually. I am 52 and the first time I had it I was hospitalized 5 days. Just seems I am more tired this time.
  • Posted

How many more days you have on antibiotics? Which ones you taking? 
    • Posted

I am on cipro and flagyl 500mg. I only have 2 days left to take them.
    • Posted

ME too same drugs. they are harsh; I have had some nausea; seems to be getting better. At least the horrible gut pain is gone.... it was like labor pains in my left lower abdomen for 3 days before the drugs kicked in.  I am maybe halfway through of 10 days. this really sucks.    I am depressed about all the ways I will have to watch what I eat from now on, when things are better...... but I never want to experience an attack like this again.... could this have any relation to the fact that I had my first colonoscopy ( just a routine screening for 50+) about a month ago.... and now this happened ??? I am suspicious.   Just want to feel better. Hope you get better too... gosh I am glad I found this forum.... how is this so common???? We Americans need more fiber in our diet. From now on, no more junk food, mcDonalds, pizza, alcohol, burgers - I might give up meat altogether. It kind of makes me sick, just the thought of it, now.
  • Posted

Hi i am going through the same. 2 more days of antibiotics just feel wiped out. And stomach cant hold anything. You have my sympathy. Get well soon xx
    • Posted

Glad I'm not alone but I hate that you or anyone else has to go through it. Yeah eating is a struggle for sure. Hang in there!

• Posted

Yeah , it’s so hard and the antibiotics make you feel worse. Take probiotics if you can. I tried commenting yesterday but it didn’t go through for some reason. Just rest when you can, drink a lot of water teas broths. Tylenol and heating pad, stick with strict diet, it’s head but a must. I went by Mayo Clinic diet for Diverticulitis, and Pinterest for recipes. I’m into this 5 months now but I had complications with mine. It will get better, just be patient and know the antibiotics take a toll on the gut flora and mind, best wishes for a speedy recovery. 🙏🤗🌺

• Posted

Thank you Vickie47128. It takes a toll on you. This morning its nausea. Yes I had forgotten about probiotics. Getting some today. If you've never had it you just wouldn't understand. Thanks again.

• Posted

Can you take probiotics while you are taking the antibiotics?  I read conflicting info on this.
    • Posted

I called my pharmist and ask how long before or after should I take a probiotic  when on antibiotics  and he said I should wait 4 hrs either before or after. I took probiotics  when I was on all the antibiotics  but after I got off I quit a week later because they tear my stomach up and cause more bathroom runs, I now eat plain yogurt with live active cultures and its also high protein I eat it everyday usually in the mornings and before bedtime sometimes  I add sweet potatoes with it. 
    • Posted

The last time I had a flare up, which was not near as bad as this one, the doctor put me on probiotics but it was after the antibiotics were finished. You are right it does seem to create more bathroom runs. The yogurt is an idea....if I can do it. I dont like yogurt. But I guess I'll keep trying. Right now for the most part I'm nauseous. The thought of some foods do that to me now. Thank you though. I appreciate all info I can get.

• Posted

It should be better when you are done with the anitbiotics... hope  you feel better soon. Try to rest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.