Exhaustion after TKR months later?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have found this discussion board so helpful! It's good to chat with others on the same journey. I had my TKR 10 weeks ago, and just went back to work this week, teaching part-time (about 12 hours/week) at a local university. Even though it's short hours, I am "on stage" for the entire time. After I get home and have a late lunch, I can't do a thing until I take a one or two hour nap! I feel like I'm wasting precious time, but I can't function otherwise! Have others been through this too? When did you get your energy back?Thanks!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Diane,

I can sympathise with you as a lot will on the forum.   It is still very early days for you and I think it's been pretty normal for patients to feel tired after such an operation.  I'm not sure why but it is a big operation and we all have to work so hard to get over the initial pain, stiffness etc, not get very much sleep either.  I think our bodies just rebel or something.  I am almost a year on from a bilateral tkr and don't work but still get very tired.

I wouldn't feel bad about resting if I were you.  Take it as it comes and rest if needed, no harm done.   I don't think any of us get back to how we were.  I admire people like yourself, who go back to work.  Be kind to yourself.

best wishes

Sue xx

• Posted

Thanks Sue-I can't imagine having surgery on both knees! My husband doesn't quite understand the long recovery period needed for this surgery. He's finally understanding why I booked a hotel room for our annual camping trip with friends rather than staying in a tent! I can't imagine crawling in and out of a tent...ouch😩

• Posted

A tent???? You're right, ouch!!!! There was a turning point for me at about 4 months post op. My kitten ran under my bed with something in her mouth, I panicked and managed to get on all fours to look. The pain was something else, I screamed as it felt my scars were ripping open.  They weren't of course.  I managed to scramble to my feet and although stingy, the knees felt better somehow. Like I'd stretched the scar tissue or something.  I haven't tried kneeling since lol.  Surgeons did say that most recipients are unable to kneel again after the op. My knees still get stiff and sore if I sit too long or when I first get up but on the whole, are ok but it's my back that aches now, I think because I'm walking differently now. 

Your husband wouldn't know just what toll this operation takes out on patients bodies unless he went through it.  People think nearly a year on, I should be running marathons or something.  Enjoy your holiday, the hotel, you deserve.  Get your husband to read this forum and he will be able to see how we all struggle.

• Posted

Get as much rest as you need.  Your body is still healing and directing a huge amount of its energy in that direction.  Sleep when your body tells you to.  Also, eat really healthy (no junk food and empty calories) and hydrate all day.
    • Posted

Thanks for the good advice Chico. I am sleeping and staying hydrated....now I really need to focus on healthier food choices.

• Posted

My daughter is a graduate nutritionist and an ACSM/ACE-certified personal trainer...she even tracks my FitBit.  There is no escape...
  • Posted

Hi Diane

I'm Almost 9 weeks post op for LTKR and I get tired too. This surgery takes a lot out of you for sure and the pain and exercising makes you tired as well . Don't beat yourself up for being tired - take your nap and enjoy it - good time for icing your knee!

• Posted

Hi Diane,

I'm three months post TKR and went back to my office job last Thursday (two days ago). I'm on a phased return so only do four hours a day but am finding that I'm absolutely shattered. Yesterday I actually went to bed for a couple of hours when I got home in the afternoon and then slept through all night too. I think at the moment everything pre TKR that we took for granted just takes time to adjust to post TKR but it's exhausting. One thing I have learnt big time since having this surgery is not to expect anything as normal as my expectations were far too high and then everything else is a bonus. Just listen to your body. It knows what you need. Hope your recovery goes well x

• Posted

Hi Kate,

You're absolutely right-I need to be patient and get used to the new normal.It sounds like you and I are going through the same stage. Wishing you the very best in your recovery! Diane

• Posted

Hi Diane... wow back at work after 10wks I was still on crutches for 3mths .. totally understand how exhausted you'd be!  I don't think that you're knee is probably ready for all that non-stop standing.  Do you ice & elevate when you get home?  Having a nap sounds absolutely normal, I don't work I used to have afternoon naps and wasn't doing anything except some exercising.  At 11mths post op I still stuggle with alot of swelling .. your energy will come back when your body is ready always remember how big an op this is and total recovery is anywhere from 12-18+mths.

Wishing you all the best... Tracey

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for reminding me to be patient. I really didn't know everything I was getting into when I started this journey, and it's probably a good thing. I don't need to stand the entire time I teach, and I do ice and elevate. I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling at 11 months; please take care. I am thankful for you and others in this discussion group! Wishing you well,

Diane

• Posted

Hi Diane... was in the same boat as you prior to operation surgeon did advice me it had a 12-18mth recovery period but omg that somehow doesn't really get thru until after your operation and after having issues from day 8 .. I must admit it's been one hell of a journey!  Now to have the other leg done, but thankfully I've learned so much what not to do and found this forum which I love... just wish I had of found it so much earlier!

Take care and always put yourself and recovery first.... Tracey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.