Exhaustion after TKR months later?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have found this discussion board so helpful! It's good to chat with others on the same journey. I had my TKR 10 weeks ago, and just went back to work this week, teaching part-time (about 12 hours/week) at a local university. Even though it's short hours, I am "on stage" for the entire time. After I get home and have a late lunch, I can't do a thing until I take a one or two hour nap! I feel like I'm wasting precious time, but I can't function otherwise! Have others been through this too? When did you get your energy back?Thanks!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there Diane, just echoing what the others have said, really. Your poor body has been through a huge trauma, and youve undoubtably had several months of broken/disturbed/nonexistant sleep, and your body is now telling you what it needs. Time may well be precious, but not as precious as your well-being. Nap away to your hearts content, its good for you! 
  • Posted

Hi Diane

i am also 10 weeks post op.  I am due to go back to work in 2 weeks time   Can't postpone it because my full sick pay runs out then and we can't afford to be without my wage

i work 35 hours a week in a kitchen /dining room so am on my feet all day 

at the moment I am trying to spend as long as I can on my feet at home. I also am walking 3 miles a day up and down our road   

Saying all that I think I will be coming home and resting on my bed for an hour after work 

I will let you know how I get on.  

Hope your recovery goes well x

• Posted

Please take care Gillian...starting with 35 hours and standing all the time will be tough. Please listen to what your body needs. I hope your co-workers will be understanding.  Take care!
  • Posted

I did learn part of the reason for feeling weak and having lack of stamina is that I am anemic now.  Not sure if it was stopping all medication for three weeks or why.  Hoping my cell counts come back soon.  I hope I can be on my feet more soon.  I weeded my garden for over an hour and really paid for that by losing 15-20 degrees of bend from the resulting stiffness.  Sure is frustrating how long this takes to be better.
    • Posted

on the 4th day after over doing,  it is still sore but at least I can sleep at night better than in the beginning.  Yesterday I stood with mostly putting weight on my good leg and it didn't bother my op knee too much.  So I think when I start feeling fatigued all over, and even get sweaty, that is my cue to go rest it.

• Posted

Lynn, just be careful that you don't cause other issues eg. sore hip etc by using your good leg too much .. could put you a bit off centre.  But understand your need to be at work .. a catch 22 unfortunately.

Take care... Tracey

• Posted

I am 18 wks post op. between the pain and the tiredness I am struggling big time, I am self employed so need to work. I am also on morphine and thought it was this but stopped talking it for a time much to my severe discomfort, but the tiredness didn't go away. Have your bloods checked incase you are a little anemic I needed a blood transfusion after my op, I felt great for 2/3 weeks after that now back where I started. Just rest when you can, listen to what your body is telling you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.