Experience with Supraventricular Tachycardia

Posted , 9 users are following.

Does anyone have experience with SVT. I experienced 2 episodes last year and went to the cardiologist where they said my heart was healthy (echo, holter) my holster only showed 3 pacs in 48 hours. No pvcs. I was sent on my way and I felt confident it wouldn't happen again. Fast forward this year I'm under a tremendous amount of stress. I'm having multiple episodes of panic attacks and anxiety. As well as well as some depression. I had another episode of SVT it completely freaked me out. I panicked and called 911. It only lasted maybe less than 8 minutes and I came out of it. I told the medics to take me to the hospital. My heart rate was staying at 130. This could have been anxiety. They gave me Ativan. Still staying between 120-130. They gave me metoprolol and that brought it down. The nurse told me to follow up with my cardiologist because maybe there is an underlying cause as to why my heart rate was 120 and only the metoprolol brought it down. Not the Ativan. I was trying my hardest to calm my heart rate down but it wouldn't go down. 2 days later I'm wiped with depression. I can't believe this happened again. I'm fearing the worse. I'm only 27 and it makes me extremely sad. I don't want to have a "heart condition" It freaks me out. It makes me think about my future. Will this happen again? Why wouldn't my heart rate go down? I have an appointment tmw with the cardiologist but I keep having crying spells. It's really stressing me out. I thought I gotten past this. The only time I have ever has an episode is when I'm stressed. One episode I had I was able to breathe and completely calm myself down. I just don't get it. I'm depressed to the point where I'm not functional. People say it's not life threatening but it's sooooo scary. I just wanted to hear anyone else's struggle with this.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi CJones,

I’ve had very similar episodes, over many years. We found my panic attacks greatly raised my heart rate, daily. The only thing that helps me is taking a very low dose of the beta blocker they gave you. I take 12.5 mg daily and my heart stays in check, rare palps and no SVT episodes period. What helped just as much is I take only 50 mg of Zoloft. It pretty much stopped my panic attacks and daily anxiety. I found that the daily anxiety caused adrenaline and cortisol spikes causing a lot of my palps and fast heart rate. I went through years of what you are going through. I didn’t want to take any medications, but after being exhausted from years of this, taking low doses of both these meds gave me back my life. Best luck and stay calm. x kat

• Posted

Sorry to hear your struggling they can be very scary. I too struggle with anxiety and have found beta blockers very good for keeping my heart rate steady. If you ask about a slow release version you can take it in the morning and it will work throughout the day. I also found that as I became familiar with the feeling and recognised what it is and read about them being harmless it helped them to pass much more quickly as the panic wasn’t keeping it going if that makes sense. Also cutting down on caffeine has helped. Hope it all works out for you hang in there. 
  • Posted

My full reply is being reviewed for some reason but in short I was saying that you should consider getting a Kardia Mobile device so you can document your elevated heart rate episodes. That way your doctor will be better informed as to what is really going on.

Jim

• Posted

It is very very scary. I had it for 5 years before being diagnosed. I’ve had some very scary moments. I had an ablation after being diagnosed and glad I did. No more SVT! My heart rate would get up to 200. The doctor finally convinced me that it’s nit life threatening but it sure can feel like it. I had 2 episodes while driving. I hope the cardiologist will have some answers for you. 
  • Posted

I can't take beta blockers. I took propranolol but it made me super sleepy, I had no appetite, I also have a history of depression. So it's a no go. I can try to calm them on my own. But I am literally terrified. I have had it before but when they strike it makes you rethink everything. And leaves me depressed for a good week or so. Even then I have to climb myself out of it. I'm taking it extremely hard. 

• Posted

I am 32 and have same issues like you are experiencing. i have had multiple attacks or svt's , god knows what they were exactly, coz doctors weren't able to get it diagnosed. now few things SVT's and anxiety both yield same symptoms so first thing is keep your anxiety in control. this will reduce the number of episodes . tested and worked.

now how to deal with aneixty, all natural means no chemicals.

try korean red ginseng - helps relieve anxiety also has multiple benefits.

try Yoga - deep breathing & surya namaskar - it will calm your mind even while you are experiencing anxiety. 

surya namaskar helped me when i was in middle of anxiety and heartbeat was about to go high, i started doing it and in 2 mins, i was calm and stable without any issues.

i am not a doctor but a patient of same ailment, so these things helped me . if you want to try go a head. these things dont have side affects and promise longer cure.

• Posted

What are your symptoms of SVT apart from a fast pulse? How long does it last? 
    • Posted

That's all I have. From one beat to the next. My heart skips. Then SVT. Pounding and racing. Episodes only last less 8 minutes. And then I come right back out. But it feels like an eternity when it's happening 

• Posted

My cardiologist has told me that arrhythmias can be hereditary. 
    • Posted

They maybe but as far as I know, no one in the family has had any issues with it. 
    • Posted

I have ectopics for 43 years, svt for 12 years, my son who is 49 also has it, my 2 daughters are ok.
    • Posted

Gosh, I wish my episodes lasted 8 minutes. Mine go on for up to 6 hours......
  • Posted

I just don't understand how it doesn't freak people out. I have literally been OBSESSING about this for the past 5 days. I spend my entire day on google. Just googling anything and everything about SVT.  I was left traumatized. Idk why I can't accept it as just a nuisance. It was sooooo incredibly uncomfortable. Is there anyone who just deals with it and doesn't take medication? Also is anyone scared that it may develop into another arrhythmia???? 

• Posted

I used to get episodes of a fast heartbeat that would go on for ages and I thought I had SVT because my dad had it. I gave up sugar, caffeine, I went on propranolol and I still had problems. I went into hospital A&E a couple of times but each time my heart had reduced to 100 beats a minute. I had an echo which came back normal apart from an irregular heartbeat. I had other symptoms though, like I would sometimes find it hart to take in a deep breath, I started to get cramp in my leg, I got pins and needles a lot. I started to get breathing problems and I had a chest X-ray which came back normal and the pulse oximeter always came back 97 98%. I got a CT scan privately and It turned out I had multiple pulmonary emboli. I have been on blood thinners for almost 6 months and I still get a fast heartbeat up to the 130s. I am wondering if I could have SVT as well because my blood clots have dispersed ages ago. Would it be possible or is this still symptoms from my PEs?

• Posted

Do you sit down a lot? For work or just a sedentary lifestyle. Immobility can cause deep vein thrombosis. Which would can lead to pulmonary emboli. Maybe you had increased heart rate secondary to the PEs but seeing as they found a cause for your shortness of breath. I would assume there are no other issues. 
    • Posted

I got my PEs from a high risk contraceptive pill. I Never had DVT though. My heart rate isn’t as bad as before and my resting heart rate is much slower. Maybe it is still readjusting.
    • Posted

How was your dads SVT? when did he get diagnosed and how did he manage it 
    • Posted

He had really bad episodes that lasted for ages, he has a very slow pulse normally, so he couldn’t take beta blockers. He was diagnosed ages ago and he has had an ablation. He says he hasn’t had any problems since apart from being a bit achy.
    • Posted

No I am paranoid about getting it though! Before I was diagnosed with PEs I was convinced I had it because my heart kept speeding up and my dad had it. Obviously I know now that it was the PEs, but my heart does still race here and there, but not as fast and furious as it did! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.