Experiences with Mirtazapine?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been taking Mirtazapine for a little over two weeks, and apart from making me eat and sleep all the time, it's having no effect. I know it can take a while to work (I've been on a few others before this) but I was wondering if anyone else had experience with it? How long did it take to work for you, if it did?

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I took it for about 2 months I think.

It definitely made me hungrier, but that was about it! Oh and for some reason my feet got swollen.

It didn't help despite increased dosages etc.

I know somebody will have good experiences with it but in all honesty all mine were negative.

Coming off it was very bad because my dr had increased my dosage and then tapered me off far too quickly. So I'd be careful with that as well.

Sorry to bring the bad news!

Like I said that's just my personal experience with it.

I hope you find something that suits you.

Take care and best wishes xx

• Posted

That's no problem, thank you for replying! To be honest, bad news was what I was expecting - I've tried four different anti-depressants and only had good experiences with one, but I just wanted to be sure I was giving this one a fair try before I decided to come off it. Take care!
    • Posted

I honestly think some people just respond better to anti depressants than others.

I think I've tried about 8 and only one or two had side effects that weren't unbearable!

But then again my family members have had great success with the first ones they've been prescribed.

It's all just so individual I guess.

Good luck to you hope you are well xxx

• Posted

I think that's definitely true. I have a few friends who are on anti-depressants as well, and most of them were satisfied with the first thing prescribed. I haven't been so lucky - it looks like I'll soon be on to number five! 

Thanks for your help. I hope you're doing well, too. 

• Posted

i took it for 3 consequative nights and never again, i had horrific nightmares, am on citalapram now, an awaiting something else, after seeing a pyshciatric nurse, ive been told if u dont like ur prescribed medication, you must return them to ur GP

• Posted

Thanks, Michael. I haven't been getting nightmares, but I've been having really vivid dreams - I guess it's a common side effect. Is citalopram working better for you? That was the first thing I was put on and the side effects I got were truly awful. It's strange how differently they work for different people.
    • Posted

i found citalapram too be very helpfull, takes the edge off things 4 sure for me, its deffinatly strange how diffrent things work for diffrent ppl, shows were not robots and individuals fighting unique issues or problems, i feel the citalapram is now wearing low, and i have a fantastic GP and social worker, and hoping one day i will feel a lust for life once again, untill then though........looking forward to phyciolgy reports to suggest sumthin else which may help or may not,
    • Posted

I'm glad you've got that support, it can really help. Good luck with it all, I hope everything works out!
  • Posted

Hello deborah78450

I've been on Mirtazapine for many years and it certainly does help me to stay on a manageable level. 

I'm on the maximum dose at 45mg. 

Personally I would think you don't have much to lose by carrying on with it for another couple of weeks to really give it a chance. 

Randomly I recently changed to Citalapram and experienced the most horrendous side effects. They were so bad I couldn't even wait to ask my GP about coming off them.  It was so bad my daughter was begging me to stop taking it. 

Unfortunately we are all so different. I have never found an antidepressant that makes me completely better, because I can never get passed the first couple of weeks of side effects. 

I hope this helps a little bit. 

Bluebell xx

• Posted

It sounds like you and I were the same on citalopram! I was at the GP nearly every other day, but I persevered because it was the first one I had tried and I didn't really realise the side effects weren't supposed to be that bad.

I think you're right about trying it for a little longer, at least until my next GP appointment. Can I ask if it makes you really sleepy? 

Thank you, it does help.

• Posted

Yes it does sound like it. If you can bear it, try to last a bit longer. 

Absolutely nothing makes me sleepy unfortunately sad

One GP told me it had a sedative effect and a totally different GP told me it hadn't. Figure that one out smile

What time of day do you take it?

Ask me anything you like. I would be so glad to help if I can xx

• Posted

My doctor told me it had a sedative effect, and for the first week or so it really knocked me out. Now it still makes me sleepy, but less so. I take it about 10pm, usually. 

It would be brilliant if it just helped me sleep, but instead it makes me hazy and out of it during the day. More like it prevents me from waking up than anything else. And yet my mood is still exactly the same as it was, if not worse. So I guess I'm just wary of increasing the dose in case it just makes the side effects worse. 

Did you have any side effects in the beginning? And if you did, did they get worse when you increased the dose? 

Thank you for your help, it really is lovely of you. 

• Posted

Is it possible for you to take your dose around 6-7pm?  Hopefully if you do that you won't feel so groggy the next day. 

I did put a little bit of weight on at first but managed to lose it.  You probably already know this, but most antidepressants make you feel worse before they make you feel better. Stupid, I know. 

As Mirtazapine is one of the older antidepressants it doesn't seem to have the really nasty side effects Duloxetine and Citalapram had on me. 

I am guessing you have to go to work?  It is a shame you couldn't increase your dose over the weekend. 

I have tried just about every antidepressant ever made and this one had the least side effects and worked best. 

I still feel depressed but I do have a HUGE amount of stress going on so it's not surprising. 

Try to be patient hun.  Much easier said than done but we don't get depressed overnight and don't start to feel better overnight. 

Just ask me anything you want, however big or small. I don't have all the answers obviously but will do my very best to help you. 

Having depression and Fibromyalgia for over 30 years has been really rough on me. 

If I can help just one person the suffering might feel worth it. 

xx

• Posted

I might try taking it earlier, that's probably a good idea - especially when I have to get up early in the morning! 

I know weight gain is a really common side effect for a lot of antidepressants, and I've put on weight with others, but this one seems by far the worst for that, at least for me. I guess it's not the worst thing that could happen, though, so I'm trying to give it a fair try. 

They do take a while to work, I know that, but I have a feeling this one may not be for me. I had much better luck with sertraline, athough even that stopped working eventually. 

That does sound really tough, I'm sorry to hear that you have so much to deal with. It's been about four or five years for me now with depression and anxiety, but only two years on medication.

I hope you're doing okay! I'm always here to talk. 

• Posted

Hiya

i am always of the opinion that we know our own bodies.  If you really feel this antidepressant is not for you it's not worth persevering in a way. 

Obviously it is completely up to you. 

Thanks for the offer of a chat. I get pretty lonely so it would be lovely to have a chat with you now and then. 

Thanks xx

• Posted

Chat is good as we all get so isolated in our worlds - happy to talk anytime
    • Posted

I'm a single parent to 2 children aged 15 & 18. They are absolutely great, but I really miss having adult conversation and get very lonely since we moved to a new area.

At this time of year my depression has usually lifted but I'm feeling extremely down at the moment. 

Are you around later, or tomorrow for a chat?

I need to sort a few things out before the delightful chore of doing dinner. 

Urgh ! 

xx

• Posted

Absolutely. I know how lonely it can get. Especially now - I'm looking for a job and around the house most of the time, so it's just me and the cat! Happy to talk whenever.
    • Posted

Hi Bluebell

I am around at the moment.  I have two weeks and a bit before I go back to work so please feel free

x

• Posted

hi deborah

looing for work can be soul destroying and the cat may not be the most observant! I have 2 cats and an elderly dog!

• Posted

PS

My job is working with 16 year olds plus so I can guess how hard it is to be a single mum

• Posted

Hi Misty,

It absolutely is soul destroying. I've just finished uni so I'm either under-qualified or over-qualified for like every single thing. Haha, yeah - they're cute but they're not the best to talk to!

• Posted

Daft to say but don't worry.  It's not unusual for it to take time after Uni to find a job.  You are often given false expectations when you do a degree and unfortunately it takes time to get a job...but you WILL get one and hopefully in time the one you really want
    • Posted

Do you do speculative approaches...70% jobs are acquired through this but it takes nerve and time

• Posted

Sorry one of my previous lifetimes was helping people get jobs but I maybe a bit out of touch with present day reality - still can't hurt except cost of post and phone calls and a belief in yourself

• Posted

I know, that's the thing. We just have to be patient. I don't think uni gives you many false expectations these days, though - we know it's going to be near impossible to get jobs right now! rolleyes (I have two interviews in the next two days though, so wish me luck!)

I'm supposed to be trying speculative approaches, but I keep putting it off. And please don't be sorry - any kind of help at all is great.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.