Experiences with Mirtazapine?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been taking Mirtazapine for a little over two weeks, and apart from making me eat and sleep all the time, it's having no effect. I know it can take a while to work (I've been on a few others before this) but I was wondering if anyone else had experience with it? How long did it take to work for you, if it did?

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've been on them for 9 weeks previously I was on sertraline for 3 months. With the sertraline I couldn't sleep properly and when I did sleep I had nightmares and night terrors it was horrendous. Since swapping to mirtzapiene I sleep much better I get the odd nightmare and I do eat more.

But I feel much better than I did on sert.

Everybody is different. I'd give it a go for at least 2 months before trying a different anti depressent.

What dosage are you on. I swapped from 100mg of sert to 30 mg of mirtzapiene . Didn't taper of the sertraline just swapped straight over.

• Posted

I'm only on 15mg at the moment, but I'm supposed to go up to 30 like, tonight. 

Sertraline worked brilliantly for me, for about eight or nine months, but then it started to get less and less effective. I was on fluoxetine after that, which didn't work at all, and now mirtazapine. I think two months is a long time to wait, though, if there's no positive effect. 

I'm glad it's working for you, though!

• Posted

Most ssri and the like take about 8 weeks to work properly and 15 mg is a low dose.

I was on fluoxtine once for 5 years and it did take a couple of months to take full effect.

But then I tried sertraline for the 3 months hoping that things would improve. I ended up an anxious suicidal wreck and one morning had to call 111 and was seen by my gp within an hr who ended the sert and started me on mirt. That night was the first time I slept properly for 3 months

If your not having any adverse effect I would try the 30 mg mirtzapiene for another 6 weeks before making a decision. I know 2 months may seem a long time but really you need to give any of these tablets that amount of time to give them chance to work.

All the best Richie

• Posted

I don't think this one is an SSRI, though, and according to everything I've read about it, this one should take 2-4 weeks to work properly. Of course I'll check with my doctor, but if it hasn't worked after a month - for me, personally - then it probably isn't going to. I persevered with both citalopram and fluoxetine for at least three months each and there was no change. I respond pretty quickly to medications, if I'm going to respond at all. All this one seems to be doing is making me hazy and anxious. In all honesty I feel worse than when I was on nothing at all. 

Thank you for your advice, though.

• Posted

I've been taking 15mg of mirtazapine for 2 weeks alongside 2 x Prozac. I had to increase my mirtazapine to 30mg three days ago and to be honest it seems to be doing me good. I'm sleeping well but get terrible night sweats and I feel a bit groggy the next day and a bit out of it but I'm putting this down to my body adapting to it. I still feel anxious throughout the day and will be speaking to my gp about this on Friday. Oh and as for the munchies..........I can eat a horse and the jockey as well xx
    • Posted

Hi, Gill. See, that's how I feel, as well. After two weeks, my depression is the same as it was, but if anything my anxiety has increased, and although I'm sleeping deeply (for once in my life), it doesn't seem worth it to me if I'm so out of it during the day? Of course, you're right, it could just be our bodies adapting to it. And I'm the same, I'm eating ALL THE TIME. I hope it works out for you!
    • Posted

Hi ladies. Can I suggest you drink a glass of water when you feel hungry. Trust me it does help to taper the hunger off a bit. 

Loved the line about eating the horse and the jockey smile Not heard that one before xx

• Posted

I have been taking mirtazapine for 10 months.  I felt better for a short while but now I've plunged into the depths again.  Let's face it drugs don't solve life's problems.  We're just lucky if they numb us for a short while
    • Posted

You're right, in that drugs aren't going to just make it all go away. They can be a real help when they do work, though - for me at least, they can help you just enough that you're able to work on the rest yourself. They can make me functional. It sucks that the mirtazapine stopped working for you - are you thinking about trying something else?
  • Posted

Not sure.  Today I tried a black dog screening test for bi polar which resulted in a positive so have probably been treated wrongly for the past 40 years.  Makes sense since I was diagnosed as mild manic depressive in my late teens
    • Posted

Ahh, that could be it. Is there much support where you are, apart from your GP? I know mine asked hardly any questions before he prescribed this, so it would be so easy for them to miss something. Hopefully you'll be able to get it sorted out.
    • Posted

I am starting an online CBT through IAPT services this week.  I ahve had CBT before but it was unsuccessful - my therapist said my depression seemed more chemical after we finished our sessions.  However I was willing to give it another go as this is 30 years onwards and maybe she and I were wrong.  I have left a message with IAPT about bi polar because I would like this professionally assessed.  Looking back it woulld make a lot of sense. I just hadn't thought about it before.  My GP is a kind man but is young and tends to philosophise a bit.  He has  a good education but probably not enough life experience - I know that sounds a bit condescending but...

Thanks for replying to my messages - nice to knoe there are some caring people out there

Misty

• Posted

Ah, I hope that helps, then. I've had a few different counsellors and groups, but none of them were proper CBT - it's really difficult to get access to that where I am, there's always someone they think needs it more. And I think regular GPs don't really look into it deeply enough - I mean, depression could be a symptom of a lot of different things, and you could probably have gotten help ages ago if they'd asked the right questions!

You're totally welcome. We can end up so isolated, but I feel like this site is a good place to talk about things, and I'm always happy to help if I can. 

• Posted

Have you tried moodgym?  It's a liittle bit juvenile but the basic principles are sound - plus it's free.   It's an Australian site - however Austrailia is much more forward thinking in relatin to mental health than US or UK
    • Posted

That might be one of the ones I've been told to try - I get all the names mixed up. I know the online things are supposed to be good, but I can never seem to concentrate on them - and they never seem very important when I've got other stuff to be doing. (Basically I'm lazy).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.