Experiencing rectal bleeding before colonoscopy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I just experienced rectal bleeding or bright red blood , (minor stripe on stool, small drips on toilet bowl and bright red blood on toilet paper) . I dabbed instead of wipe and it was painful and straining going.

Would it be okay for me to have a colonoscopy on August 15th or five days from today? I am afraid my bleeding is not a good sign to have the procedure so soon after experiencing symptoms. My last times having blood around my stool or just on toilet paper was on July 13th and July 30th.

I am 32 male btw. Please let me know what you think. I am scared moving forward.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hemmoriods . if you are straining that is what is sounds like.

• Posted

Thank you for letting me know! Is it normal to experience hemorrhoids when the stools were not that hard and they were very thin.

• Posted

yes sir. the stools have nothing to do with your hemmoriods. it is the straining that make the blood vessels swell up and when you wipe you tear the tissue and leads to bleeding. you might want to try stool softeners to help you so you don't strain. I know it's a drag. But you will be fine.

• Posted

thanks Fernando for that clarification and your input. I will try and strain less or be more active and sit less. I am going back to try Miralax and drink/hydrate more than I had. It's tough to be on a bland, low residue low fiber diet before the colonoscopy . I want to get this test done to figure out whats my problems with previous ab pain, so i naturally worry how i am going to follow the prep without irrating my veins or hemm

i will try otc cream med from cvs tonight

i really appreciate your help and to other memers of this forum

• Posted

you are very welcome Kev. I'm glad to have helped you. I appreciate those kind words. It feels good to know that we on this forum have each others back. Good Luck to you Kev.

• Posted

Thank you for best wishes Fernando! I appreciate OUR forum. ...I hope to update with good results after the procedure.

For others reading this post, I recommend getting a colonoscopy if you having gastrointestinal/ lower digestive problems that persisted for months like mine (since August 2018).

• Posted

sounds like a Hemorrhoid. cuz when I do use the bathroom sometimes I do bleed down there

• Posted

Hi, thanks for sharing! Should I be concern that it is happening three times in a month. I am a vegan and was on a high to moderate fiber diet plus had enough fluids. It's just me following guideline to be on a low residue or low fiber diet 5-7 days before a colonoscopy so it's easier for the GI to do the procedure.

If you don't mind me asking... How often do you experience hemorrhoids/piles?

And what are ways you tried to improve it? I tried different methods or ways and the problem comes back here and there. I am just very worried.

• Posted

I I simply try to relax and let the muscles down there do the work in terms of pushing out the stools. I find that when I relax there is no pain

• Posted

they will still do the procedure to find the cause i would imagine.if your worried about it being sore as its sore now the doctor can give you cream which will numb the area so when you go toilet next time it shouldnt hurt..i aint a doctor but have experienced bleeding and had a colonoscopy nearly 2 years ago.

if its only on the tissue and the sides of the stool its more than likely a hemmy or you have a tear down their.

• Posted

Hello, thank you for replying! I am going to call the GI office and ask them on Monday as well; but, thank you for your assurance. I had an abdonimal and pelvic CT scan back in mid-June, they found nothing except possible volvolus of the sigmoid colon, but a flex sigmoidscopy ruled it out. I didnt fast or have any bowel prep so they didn't rule out all colon issues. "Fecal volume is consistent with constipation." was what's in the report. The ER doc thought of possible IBS.

I am sorry for writing more than I should, but I am just really worried.

What cream or ointment can work for hemorrhoids and/or fissure(tear)?

And have you had any other less invasive tests since your colonoscopy like Fit FoBt or cologuard? When are they recommending to get another colonoscopy?

• Posted

as long as its not black blood youve probably just got a tear.

try increasing water intake about 2-3litres a day

watch your starch.

i use to have this and i would dread going to toilet.

if in doubt they see doc however , if there is anything they will see.👍

• Posted

I would speak to your doctor about your concerns and see what they think.

• Posted

Thanks! I am contacting my doctor soon; I could only get in a message with the nurse.

My bout of bright red blood seemed to happen that one time, but I am still constipated. I hope to find out what's wrong with me on Thursday.

• Posted

Constipation can cause fissures and haemorrhoids which can produce bright red blood. This could be a likely cause for your symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.