Experiencing rectal bleeding before colonoscopy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I just experienced rectal bleeding or bright red blood , (minor stripe on stool, small drips on toilet bowl and bright red blood on toilet paper) . I dabbed instead of wipe and it was painful and straining going.

Would it be okay for me to have a colonoscopy on August 15th or five days from today? I am afraid my bleeding is not a good sign to have the procedure so soon after experiencing symptoms. My last times having blood around my stool or just on toilet paper was on July 13th and July 30th.

I am 32 male btw. Please let me know what you think. I am scared moving forward.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You may have haemorrhoids or a fissure if you have been straining too much on the loo The blood is usually bright red with these conditions.

• Posted

also remember anxiety can also cause bowel problems.

are u or do u suffer from anxiety?

• Posted

Is there a way to tell hemorrhoids from fissure from the type of pain or stool characteristics?

Thanks for your advice! I am increasing my fluid intake but still adhere to a low residue diet. Tomorrow will be completely clear liquid diet. I don't consume that much starch the last few days except white potatoes without skin, maybe that's why. I stopped consuming it today because we are all out at home.

I do have anxiety and am taking Citalopram 10mg for it. My doctor also tells me same thing; thank you for mentioning it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.