Extended periods...

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi..I just joined this group yesterday and was happy to find it!! I have been in peri for a few years now, first my periods moved closer together by a few days and got heavier with flooding, hot flashes and night sweats, then they moved farther apart and still were heavier with clotting but were a normal length of days, the last year I have been having less periods skipping a month or two and they are much lighter..I had a light five day period in May and skipped on in June, but this month I started on the tenth with light spotting that has progressed til now, nothing heavy...have had a few days of more normal period type flow but still very light with a few clots..it just won't stop though! I went to my GYN on the 18th..she did an exam and read my monthly diary of symptoms and said it is nothing to worry about..that sometimes it can go longer like this..anyone else had this experience? It worries me, which is another symptom I have..obsessive anxiety. I google my symptoms an have myself convinced I have every disease known to women!! Thankfully I have a patient hubby. <3

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Lori, when I had spotting for more than a few days of my normal period my gyne did a D&C. Are you on any type of birth control?

• Posted

49..hoping that means I am almost to the end of this craziness!
    • Posted

How long have you been in peri? Okay I will at your age, light spotting would go on for days at a time. Until it finally stopped on it's own. Sounds to me as if you're just really starting.

• Posted

about three years into peri..this is day 17 of the spotting...the first 14 days were barely there most of the time..the last couple days it has gotten a little  heavier with a few clots but still very very light. It is more annoying than it is anything else, I have no pain at all. My dr and her nurse seem to think this is normal for this stage of life. Are you already through peri and into menopause, then?
    • Posted

No, I still get periods every few months with horrible hot flashes.
    • Posted

Can I ask your age? And do you recall if you ever had spotting that went on for a few weeks? I wish there was just a switch to flip when we are done having our babies that let this all be done with ease!
    • Posted

I remember i had spotting that went on for about 2 weeks after my period. I'm 57 now.

• Posted

Oh boy..so maybe I am just getting started..I thought after three years I must be coming to an end! Thank you so much for replying..it helps to know that other people have the same experience. It seems like everything that was once normal has changed right now. Best wishes!!
    • Posted

Your doctor sounds as if she's experienced with women who have menopausal symptoms, which is a good thing. A lot of women here have doctors who don't know a thing about peri-menopause. You're one of the lucky ones. Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Thank you..I do like my Dr very much. I am in the US..where are you located?
  • Posted

Hi there

I can't answer your question about the periods but I really sympathise with you regarding the anxiety. Hopefully somebody will pop up and answer your question soon. Take care xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.