Extension

Posted , 6 users are following.

Im now 13 weeks post TKR and after 3/12s of physio and home exercise happy with flexion but not extension. Have had a bent leg for over 30 years but surgeon states 0 degrees at op. Have got it down from - 17 to - 10 on a good day but away to go. Physio discharged me as happy but I want to get nearer to straight and am doing all the work given and more. . Not comparing to anyone else but just interested if others had this and how long it took? Doing all the stretching,hangs with weigth etc,

I know all different but has anyone experienced this problem with extension and how long did it take?I suppose what Im saying is there a limit, Will carry on as determined but probably returning to work next month so wont haver the same amount of time so will only be able to do stretches etc  pre & post work not as regualrly as now,

Im doing 60 mins static bike daily uping resitance and am going to return to aquatone next week as  know quad will take longer. Doing squats and curls at home with light weights. Feel muscles getting stronger but lateral quad needs more work any suggestions?

Thank you

Jan

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jan

You are doing all the right things, but just remember that leg has been bent for sooo many years it is not going to straighten in 13 weeks. You need serious stretches as well as the standard knee exercises & strength building too.

Your tendons & muscles may need to be stretched in order for the leg to straighten, as they have likely firshortened in 30 years.This just takes time & effort, which you're already putting in.

Maybe see a sports injury masseur, or chiropractor for help in getting that leg straight. Maybe gentle manipulation or chiropractic adjustments will help.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Just keep on keeping on, slow but sure. You will get there.

I sometimes wonder what planet these surgeons come from! They put down orders, but they haven't had TKR so don't know what recovery from it is like!

I wish you well.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thanks  Marilyn. Surgeon stated 0 degrees at  op so guess it is possible would be happy with -5. I will carry on with the exercises and

have looked online at some of the USA  videos for add ins. 

All the best  I will

Jan x

Good idea we do have a chiropractor locally but I wil discuss with my suregon in May at my next follow up. My surgeon was happy at the last appt but knows Im looking a getting it straighter,  Bedn good no scar tissue rela issues.Agree the surgeons targets are less than the physios !!!

• Posted

Sorry dyslexic keyboard syndrome again.

That should've read foreshortened!

Spell checker, what spell checker???

We are having trouble with our technology on this thread aren't we!!

Marilyn

• Posted

Google "Grammarly"...it's free.  Not perfect and quirky sometimes.  

Also, your browser (IE, Edge, Chrome, Firefox) should have a free spell checker add-in.  That will help.

• Posted

Hi Chico, Using my iPhone! You know what predictive text is like.

I sent an email to a friend recently & typed Hi Cliffy. It wasn't until later that I found the phone had sent Hi Fluffy!

Never gonna live that one down!!

I really should proof read instead of just hitting send/reply!!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

If you type "Okey dokey" into a Microsoft application, do a spell check and then blindly accept the changes, you get "OK donkey".

• Posted

Oh missed that one!! Lol

It's great isn't phone, computer, tablet word correction! I know I've written some drivel but no need to completely change it!!

You could really have some fun with these things couldn't you! Perhaps we should start a thread, 'what is the most ridiculous thing spell checker or predictive text has put' must be some real gems out there!

On that silly note

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Yay down to -8 degrees keeping going!!
    • Posted

It's amazing what a few degrees can do for us TKRers. ( not sure if that counts as a word lol)

What excitement a few degrees gives us!!!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Absolutely lol! it was stuck at -10 for weeks so will keep going.

I dont know how people can have bilateral one is so tiem consuming!

BW

Jan x

• Posted

Well done Jan:-)  I was in a turmoil not knowing the best way to push further than the 115 degree bend because each time I did I got excrutiating pain behind the knee and the Voltarol gel didn't help so I phoned the physio at the hospital (just saying this in case it helps someone else).  He told me that I'm one in a hundred getting 115 at three weeks after tkr and to stop pushing to achieve more for a couple of weeks since it's possibly just that it needs rest to heal more.  It's a bit of a relief now:-))))  I still am wondering if it is implinging but even if it is, it's still early days and might resolve without further surgery but with just rest.  So hoping for the best:-)

• Posted

Take it easy for a while, hopefully it'll resolve.

Oh boy just turned tv on! Terror? incident in London. Puts things in perspective doesn't it.

Good luck on your rehab

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Absolutely you did well to get to  +115 in 3 weeks that took me 6 but everyone is different as  Chico states in his links.

I was guilty of too much too early and it is important  to have one rest day a week or to ease back when swollen/excess pain. Everyone is didfferent but when you are motivated its hard not to want to get there.

If you continue with excrucuating pain see your GP/Surgeon.

All the best 

Jan

• Posted

Thank you Jan.   You are SO right.  It feels as though we've got to take responsibility for how well this op goes and it's easy to forget that to some extent the knee itself is going to decide the pace!  Thank you so much for that advice!  The physio at the hospital said to rest it for a couple of weeks but then my appointment with them is the following week so if the pain is still the same they can see what's going on.  I've calmed down about it - if it is impingement that does need further surgery then that surgery is likely to be very successful, so it's not a disaster at the end of the day:-)  But not forcing it might just sort it:-))))

• Posted

Thanks Marylin:-)  Yes, we just turned the tv on and then phoned son quickly because he works in that area, but he's OK.  It DOES put things in perspective though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.