Extreme fatigue, raspy voice

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with mild COPD a while back and I felt fine until this last month. Every day I am so tired, I could sleep all day. My pulse ox is 96-97. Breathing is a bit labored, but it is not too bad. I have read posts about fatigue, I guess it is inevitable. I am now very concerned about day to day life. It takes me about 90 min in the AM before I feel I can go out or do anything strenuous. I also have a raspy voice all the time.

Could anyone offer any comments or advice? If there is any, I guess I can't face it. I live alone so am in a bad position.

Thank you and so grateful for this group.

What helps? Anything? I dragged myself to the gym the other day, and do about 30 min on treadmill but did not feel better. I also feel like I am getting de conditioned.

1 like, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have another question. I think I even asked before, but does the extreme fatigue correlate with severity?
    • Posted

Yes and no:   I have days of low energy bordering on fatigue (nowhere near as bad now I'm conscientious about daily exercises and walking) but generally speaking, the further the condition advanes, the more fatigue will become an issue.   

It's very important to accept that  we can to some extent control the advance of the condition with the appropriate breathing exercises, general exercise and medication.

If I've already told this story in this thread please forgive the repetition:  when I was first diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago I was understandably upset:  my then gp told me to stop panicking as she'd recently been to the funeral of a very elderly woman who'd had COPD for twenty years.    

I'll be asking my practice nurse for another spirometry test soon, but the last one I had around the middle of last year indicated no deterioration at all in the 3 years since diagnosis.   I'm very grateful that I go myself to pulmonary rehab soon after diagnois, although I know that's not possible for everyone.

Go easy on yourself and do whatever you can to keep well:  a positive attitude won't cure anything but it can help you take positive action to stay as well as you can for as long as you can  

• Posted

I still think you need to look for other causes or contributing factors for your fatigue. I think that pulmos here are allowed to send patients for sleep studies. If not ask him to strongly insist that gp sends you for one.

The reason i keep saying this is because everyone i know here was diagnosed with COPD at least 10 yrs before it started impacting their energy levels so much, mostly being diagnosed in their 40s or early 50s. Of course it's also true that when i go for free acupuncture treatments i usually say my energy could be improved. But tho i'm now just into my 60s i still don't feel all that fatigued.

Can you change gps? I know it's a hassle, I've done it twice in 4 yrs. Am hoping to have a long relationship with my new clinic.

Hope you' ve got some of the glorious sunshine we have today. Don't worry about typos no one else does, myself included.

• Posted

You may be right about other causes relating to fatigue. I am going to check that out, especially if I don't see improvement with exercise in one month. Thank you.
  • Posted

Thank you to all of you who have replied. It is true about the politics in this country as far as left and right wing. It is scary and unbalanced at times.

My health insurance is generally good, but I need to change GP.

I saw the pulmo yesterday. My spirometry has gotten worse. I wonder if anyone could comment on a few numbers: FVC 77, FEV1 86, FEV1/FVC 90. This is if I am reading it right.

Interestingly, in response to how COPD is treated here, he suggested that I was deconditioned and encouraged exercise to improve lung function, back to see him in one month. Compared to my GP, who says nothing, I like the pulmo much better.

I think the

In any case,

• Posted

Sorry message got cut off. I was going to say that it will be more telling when I go back next month.

And, to comment on the good discussions - What a great group! I feel blessed.

• Posted

Come on now Maryterese!!

You have a month to suprise him with your diligence and improved muscles....just as we had discussed at the beginning!  cheesygrin

Even breaking it up into twice a day, for ten or fifteen minutes each time, stretch bands, walking, lifting soup cans...whatever you can do to get started and into a daily routine.

Cheering for you Maryterese...and do not focus on those numbers..focus on getting stronger and improving the days ahead!

Lill  wink

• Posted

I'm so happy for you that you've found a good pulmo! I can't help on the numbers, too long since i've done one of those.

Too cheer you on, tho, tonight i went up an incline without huffing, stopping, or opening my mouth. Walking my dog and i never go straight up that route because 15 lbs ago i couldn't do it.

You can do this!

• Posted

Congratulations!    It's so important to value our achievements, accept the low energy days and then build up again when we can.
  • Posted

To Jude - did you say that your number stayed at 70 for three years? So far? That is great. Which number, FEV1?
    • Posted

Sorry, all I can remember is that I had 70% lung function back then and it was still the same last year when last tested.   I have been fairly consistent with exercise, nothing dramatic, just walking for about 20 minutes most days, plus adding specific breathing exercises to the daily stretching, yoga & weights routine I was already doing.  

I think getting to rehab early on was very advantageous, as apart from the practical things I learned there was a lot of emphasis on self-monitoring and accepting the variability of COPD.   I'm also very strongly motivated to manage the condition as best I can:  I live alone, value my independence and have always been active and physically strong - hoping to stay that way for as long as I can.

• Posted

Hi jude65855,i don;t know if i am doing this wrong, as i am not very good at this.You said you are in Australia, do you mind telling me which state in Australia.I am looking for a good pulmonologist in West Australia,there is no chance you are from West Australia is there?If you are, would you mind telling me the name of the one you go to, and if you like him.?I don't know about the one i am seeing.I think i would like to try a different one if i could find a good one.
    • Posted

I'm sorry Lina, I can't help you there as I'm in Victoria.   I've only seen the pulmonologist twice, way back when I was first diagnosed nearly 4 years ago.  That was as a public patient but I now find I have to see him privately, which I can't afford.

To be honest, I don't find it necessary as he doesn't seem to be able to do any more for me than my gp and practice nurse can and I've done the rehab course and can do that again if I need to.   

If you have access to pulmonary rehab I'd strongly suggest you take advantage of that and if you still need to find another pulmonologist that would be a good place to ask around for suggestions.  Good luck

• Posted

Hi Jude,never mind.Thank you for taking the time to answer me anyway.It is good to know that at least there is someone from Australia here.And you may be right about the pulmonologists, they do cost a fair bit when you see them privately.It cost me a fair bit.And to be honest i am not sure that i got a lot out of it.Though i mainly went for the breathing tests.I may see if i can find a pulmonary rehab around here and ask there for suggestions like you say.Thanks again keep well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.