Extreme pain in hands. I'm new to this.

Posted , 14 users are following.

I started out 7 weeks ago with swollen hands and feet. Lots of pain in hands and cannot bend them to touch my palms. After two visits to my Primary care doctor, I am being sent to a Rheumotologist for testing. My hands ars so painful that I can hardly hold a pen to write. Fingers stay numb. I havent slept well in weeks becuase one of more joints are extememly painful at night, and my hands hurt worse when I lay down. This came on me suddenly, I hurt all over, and am miserable. Hands are the worst. I'm just wanting to know from others with RA what your experience is with terrible hand pain, and my fingertips stay numb 24/7. I can hardly walk when I first get up in the mornings. Takes an hour or so to get my body going. This feels like it has totaly taken over my body.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh bless you Becky, I'm sure that a lot of us on here can really empathise with you.

I've had steroid injections in quite a few joints, hips knees, feet, shoulders back and the base of my thumb on the right hand.  I did get some relief for a short time with most of the joints, but unfortunately not with the hand.  They wanted to try again, but under Xray to make sure it went into the right place, but I've not gone through with that yet.  Hopefully the Rheumatologist will be able to help you with pain once they have carried out all the necessary tests.  

The pain wakes me at night, so like you I don't get a lot of sleep.  I also have Osteo and Fibromyalgia, which again is very painful.  It seems to feed on stress and I'm quite sure that you are feeling stressed by it all at the moment.  Good, luck with the Rheumatologist, let us know how it goes.  Big gentle hugs. x

• Posted

Thank you Sukes for sharing. I dread to see bedtime come becuase I know how bad I am going to hurt.
  • Posted

Hi

This sounds exactly like how mine started out. Could not believe the pain in my hands. Had no strength in them either.  Then my feet. The balls of my feet were the worse, feels like your walking barefoot on a stoney beach.  3 years later and on hydroxychloroquine, leflunomide and humira injections. Feel a lot better. Just waiting for surgery on my elbow but other than that a lot better. Hope they get you sorted out sooner rather than later. Bit of waiting to get the right meds for you but worth it in the end xxx

• Posted

Thank you Emma. I am just trying to figure out all the hand pain, if its a common thing. I am reading up on all symptoms. My grandmother had RA, and I can remember her pain with joints, but I never realized how bad the hands hurt. Mine are staying numb all the time, besides not being able to grip anything. I just lift a leg or arm in my sleep, and pains shoot thru me. It's bad. I am so sorry for how people suffer  with this from what I am reading on this forum.

• Posted

Hello Becky

Sorry to hear you're suffering, but what you are describing is typical symptoms.

I too have suffered of and on with hand pain over the last 16 years,

I have also had my carole tunnel done on both hands as the swelling was strangling the carpel tunnel Nerve resulting in pins and needles.

I have had some nights where I felt like cutting them off they were that painful.

Have you tried managing in anti inflamitory cream, and ice packs.

I have found the best ice pack to use is 

The empty bags you get with little pouches in to make ice cubes in.

Fill full of water tie the top and freeze, these I find shape best to the back of your hand also because you can't grip you can fold it and lay your hand over it.

I cover mine with a muslin cloth but any thin cloth will do to soak up the moisture.

Try for about 15 min if you can bear it.

Mornings are typically the worst for RA there is no rushing it either, find the best pain killer that suits you take your anti inflamitory,  but also take the pain killer at the same time give yourself a good hour before tackling anything like getting dressed,

I take amitryptaline at night which is a muscle relaxant but once you see the rheumatologist they will no doubt have the discussions with you over your Meds. And find the best course of action for you.

Luckily there are many things available to use some better than others but I am sure you'll get sorted soon the next step is living with the deciese I'm afraid.

Sending gentle hugs

• Posted

Thank you Jayjay1959 for your advice. I'm sorry that you have been dealing with RA for so long. I have been sitting in the mornings with ice packs in my hands. Your right it helps some. I have been reading about all kinds of different RA medications, and it sound like a few make people feel sick to their stomach. I have made the exact same comment over the last few weeks that you have about feeling like cutting my hands off.

• Posted

Hi Becky.

I just wanted to sympathise with you.  The description of your symptoms sounds very familiar to me. Although almost 30 years ago now, I can still recall that horrendous pain in my hands and feet.  I used to have to get up very early so that I could get up and dressed in time to go to work.  The earlier I got up, the less stiff I was (but I'm not advising this; merely remembering it)! I'm sure , like others have said, you will soon receive some treatment and things will improve for you.  I was always advised not to do too much when joints were swollen.  I realise it's not always possible, but if you can, avoid causing yourself more pain.  Also, for your feet, I have found (and still do) really thick soles with plenty of squidge in them makes walking a whole lot more comfortable.  Again, you will receive proper advice from your rheumatologist but just thinking about what you might be able to do in the meantime. Wishing you well. Thinking of you.  Esther

• Posted

Dear Becky. I am sorry that you are in so much pain. I was diagnosed about 11 years ago and the stiffness started in my feet, hands and shoulders. Once you have a diagnosis, which certainly sounds like RA, you will be started on anti-inflamatory drugs to start with. Some do make you feel sick and it is a matter of rial and error until the right drug is found for you. Everyone is different so I had a few different drugs until my symptoms were controlled.

I don't know if it will help you but as well as the ice packs for 15-20 mins at a time I used to raise my arms above my head so that the blood didn't get to my fingers. Weird I know but it did help. 

As others have said when you are haing an inflamatory stage you need to rest those joints otherwise there may be damage.

I hope you are reasonably pain free soon - it is possible to live with the condition in relative comfort for most of the time once the meds have kicked in. I don't know where you live but in the UK there are courses for those suffering from long term conditions which teach you how to cope. They are led by tutors who suffer from a long term condition - I used to be a tutor for them - and they are hugely informative and helpful.

Sending you love and hugs and hoping you feel better soon.

Best wishes, Elspeth xx

• Posted

Thank you for sharing. This forum seems to have some very kind people.
  • Posted

Becky sorry to hear you are hurting. I was diagnosed almost a year ago and after the first like three or four months the medicine started to help. I had extreme pain in my hand and pretty much every where else where I could barely get out of bed. The medicine seems to help but for me the pain just recently started again and my hands are extremely swollen and my knees and shoulders. Have to call my doctor tomorrow to see if I need to do something different. Wish you all the best 
    • Posted

Thank you for sharing Sammygirl38. I hope you get some relief again soon.
  • Posted

Many of us on this forum will feel for you Becky.  I am new to this also and being a guitar player I was devastated by the pain in my fingers and wrists and with swollen fingers and unable to arch my left wrist to properly form musical chords.   I could have accepted the shoulder and knee pain but my hands were extra valuable to me.

I have been on Methotrexate for two weeks now plus an anti inflamatory drug with no side effects,  I exercise my hands regularly and run them under water as hot as I can withstand, ( not sure if that would be recommended ) and I am able to play my instrument fairly close to the level I once did.

I also dread bedtime, because morning will come and I will have pain in my knees, shoulders and hands...  As soon as I wake up I get up and start moving because the moving around helps loosen my joints and I feel so much better.

All the best Becky, we all hope for a break through in the treatment for RA.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing. I hope your medication continues to help you.
  • Posted

Hi All these symptoms lead towards RA. Let a rheumatologist examine and investigate in detail and prescribe proper treatment. RA effects your joints very badly. Take hot showers swim regularly apply pain relieving gels or creams on the effected joints but u have to take medicines regularly.
  • Posted

Becky - i feel for you, big time, this morning I woke up with hands locked up, only got going after the painkillers kicked in.

I have psorasis arthiritis or so the rheumo tells me, does not show up as psorasis on gentetic tests but that doesn;t mean I don;t have it, just carrying on different genes, she watches my bloods to see how angry and how much inflammation I have in my system, bloods tests amoung others ESR & CRP.

I have been on the chemsts shop of medications over the years, some have worked very well, others not so well, but I do notice the worse my stress the worse my symptoms, does having my husbands in hospital the last week explain my condition this morning probably, he has been very sick, and they don;t know what is wrong with him, possibility of a virus of some kind, but it has really really given him a boot in the tail, already suffering from heart failure supporting him was important, and then me having to watch what they were giving him, GRRRRRR, inflamed liver and they are giving him Max doses of paracetemol, and putting him on a drip, again GRRRRR, were they intending to drown him, I hit the roof and demanded to see a Dr, who agreed with me, not a good idea to have him on a drip & allowing him to drink as much as he liked.

Try some fish oil, as long as you are not on blood pressure meds can do no harm, I take 6 x 1000mg of odourless fish oil, NOT KRILL, a day, 2 with breakfast, 2 with lunch, and 2 with dinner, otherwise you have a tendency to get really bad reflux.  Recommended by RHEUMO.

Do not be afraid to take MAX dose of painkillers, DO NOT OVERDOSE, I take Panadol Osteo, they are a slow release form of panadol and give me alot of relief.  Time your doseage as I do, when you get up in the morning, about 3pm in the afternoon, and 9pm at night, an hour before bed, gets me through with some sleep.  You will see on the packet 6 hours apart.

• Posted

You are dealing with a lot on your plate for sure. I hope your husband gets better soon. Good thing you were watching out for him. Thank you for the advice. I cant really take anything to deal with the pain I am experiencing right now because about three days on ibuprofen, and I get a bladder infection, and I am allergic to Naproxen. I am just dealing with it the best I can. I'm afraid to start prescription main medication because most is so addictive if its offered to me. I will have to look yours up. Thank you.

• Posted

One thing about Panadol and Panadol Osteo is its not addictive, infact recommended to me by the rheumo, even I have questioned if there was anything better, and she said its the best to be taking for me, here in australia you can buy it over the counter, even in the supermarket, I buy mine at the chemist, a little more expensive but hopefully better quality.

Panadol is ony a danger to people who have reduced liver function, and or an overdose situation. NOT A GOOD IDEA it can kill your liver, and has when people have taken an overdose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.