Extreme pain in hands. I'm new to this.

Posted , 14 users are following.

I started out 7 weeks ago with swollen hands and feet. Lots of pain in hands and cannot bend them to touch my palms. After two visits to my Primary care doctor, I am being sent to a Rheumotologist for testing. My hands ars so painful that I can hardly hold a pen to write. Fingers stay numb. I havent slept well in weeks becuase one of more joints are extememly painful at night, and my hands hurt worse when I lay down. This came on me suddenly, I hurt all over, and am miserable. Hands are the worst. I'm just wanting to know from others with RA what your experience is with terrible hand pain, and my fingertips stay numb 24/7. I can hardly walk when I first get up in the mornings. Takes an hour or so to get my body going. This feels like it has totaly taken over my body.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi becky 

You are right some people experience digestive problems,  but quite a few of 

The RA Meds are injected these days

• Posted

Hi Becks, know how you feel, my RA started in my middle finger right hand then left hand finger, hands, wrist, ankles, some knee, some hip, problems walking using hands etc, about 15 years later and now on Benepali biological drug and best state I've been in regarding RA, try to get drugs that work, I got damage done to knuckles and wrists through slow diagnosis.

• Posted

Hi Becky, not Becks sorry tablets fault 😃.

• Posted

Hi these symptoms are the common signs of RA. But if u take meds regularly and exercise your life will b comfortable. of and on u will feel stiffness in ur joints. Walking swimming hot bath and pain killers are de keys to better health And regularly consult ur doctor.

• Posted

Hi Becky, I can relate to so much of what I read on here. I started with my symptoms about 6 years ago. First, awful pain in my left shoulder, couldn't raise my arm which settled after a few days and I thought nothing of it. Blow me if the following week the same in the other shoulder and again it settled fairly quickly. I then got a finger like a pork sausage.That went down and another came up. A bit like that game where you knock one thing down and another pops up!  Off to the docs then the Rheumatologist. I was lucky to be diagnosed (psoriatic arthritis)fairly quickly  which helps reduce the risk of defromity. I've had some nasty flare ups when I've not been able to pick up a brew from the table by my side so my hubby wedged it between my stiff and painful fingers. I've been on a range of treatments, some have given me side effects others have worked well. Some I've had to stop because of infections due to being immuno supressed but I'm currently well and I can do most things with no problem. I think in the early days there were 2 aspects for me, the clinical, physical side and also getting my head around it all. I had just retired and was so looking forward to looking after my young grandchild. Well, I do look after her and manage with hubby's help if I'm struggling and she lifts me up - metaphorically speaking! What I'm trying to say is there is effective treatment out there. It can be a bit hit and miss as you've probably picked up but you will get there. And steroids are a Godsend during flare-ups. I made myself some makeshift splints from rolled up socks and a bandage which were softer than what I was offered by my rheumy team, but kept my hands in a natural position overnight. Sometimes I couldn't open my fingers. Sorry, I've gone on a bit. Try to keep your spirits up. Oh, and once you've seen the rheumy if you have a problem phone them and tell them. They can't help you if they don't know. Good luck. Carol x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.