EXTREME self aware obsessing/ruminating, help?!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Sorry again, but I honestly don't know how to get out of this. I just have this constant habit of over analyzing and paying close attention to everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, I do. I even pay attention to how I think and the thoughts I get. It's horrible, and I honestly don't know how to escape this. I honestly can't even think anymore because of this, because I'm always so fixated on my thinking and how it works and all of that. And it's not just here and there. It's all. Day. Long. I can't stop focusing on when I'm thinking, what I'm thinking, and how I'm thinking. For example, if I go downstairs to get something to eat, I'll ask myself, "was that me wanting to get something to eat? Or was it just my brain telling me to?" That probably doesn't even make any sense but that's pretty much the best I can explain it. I'm just overly, overly obsessed with watching myself, my thought process, how it works, etc. Its seriously debilitating. And honestly, I can't even think of anything else anymore, because I can't understand how thinking works. Sometimes I can't even tell when I'm thinking, because I'm so obsessed and overly aware with catching myself thinking about something, and how it works. And sometimes I wonder, "is it me thinking the things I think about? Or is it just my brain reacting to things and processing information?" Or, "how do thoughts happen? What makes someone have a thought? Do they just pop into your head without you noticing, or does the person really want to think about what comes into their mind?" It should make sense, but for some reason I just can't make sense of it, no matter how much I think about it. It's really, really bad. It's like I don't even remember what it's like to actually think and be focused on something else, and be totally invested in something other than this crap. I can't even talk anymore, because whenever I go to talk to someone, I'm overly aware of the very act of me talking and responding. It's the weirdest thing. I'm also aware that I used to have social anxiety, and whenever I would talk to people, I'd be overly aware of myself. Not in the same way of course, this self awareness is a lot different, but I'd just always be overly self conscious. Now, I can't understand how that works. Like it just feels like I was never aware of myself being self conscious, if that makes sense lol. I mean I was, like I knew I had social anxiety, but I never actually analyzed it while it was happening, if that even makes sense. And now, whenever anyone talks to me, it's like I EXPECT myself to be that way. I've just been in this funk for so long that I don't even remember the way I used to act, and how I can even be the way I used to be again. It's like I haven't been a properly functioning human being in so long and now my brain is stuck in this completely disoriented mindset. And I can honestly say that I have never, EVER thought like this in my entire life. I've been kind of off for the past three months, but this really started about maybe a month ago or so. And it's not really just thoughts, it's also the act of just being aware, constantly, all day long. It's like I don't know how to BE anymore. I don't know how I'm going to live on like this, because if I'm constantly overly aware of myself, even my thoughts, then how am I going to effectively communicate with people and be in a relationship and all that if I can't even function? It really terrifies me that I'll always be like this and never get better. It just feels like I'm in too deep and that I can't unthink these things. It makes me want to kill myself a lot because I can't live on like this. Please help. Any advice would be appreciated.

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello bri

It seems like OCD, Make that appointment with your GP on Monday and He will advise any help you may need.

With my condition I forget what has been talked about and i wisp away on a cloud. People feel I am bad mannered I am not it is just me and who I am

Good Luck, Make that appointment for your GP

BOB

• Posted

Briana, please please respond I am going through this for the past 3 now 4 months. How are things? What helped you?  I keep trying to say myself I am not my thoughts. But then I’m exactly the same place inside my head. I don’t want to be like this forever it’s killing my  whole life. I went to two psychiatrists who said it was anxiety. My whole mind is mush. Please Briana/anyone  give me hope that this can change and how. 
  • Posted

Have you been helped with this condition, i am going through it currently.
    • Posted

hello all, i have suffered from anxiety and rumination my entire life. but it is worse now. i would suggest that anyone try to find a group DBT group as this gives you very practical advise on what thinking is serving you and what is not. the other thing is that there is an OCD form that is called Pure O. Look it up. there are a few medications for this you might  try.  you need to learn to ground yourself... i would suggest jon kabot zinn's book on doing a body scan medication. i hate for anyone to go through this. it causes so much anxiety. best to you all..

• Posted

I want to kill myself. I think about this all day. I have ocd. Every interaction I am scared of, nothing feels right anymore, every word I say I think it is awkward and I would have not said it when I was better. Before all this. I want to kill myself I can’t do it anymore. I just can’t. Ocd has ruined my life. I feel like everyone is just talking out their thoughts and this makes it feel like nothing is real. That they are all their own experiences and nothing feels right. No emotion. I am so apart from everything and my family. I think from the moment I open my eyes till I i close them a thing night about how to stop thinking about this s**t. I wish it was just hand washing and germs. Then it wouldn’t be about feelings, thoughts, speaking. I can’t speak. It’s social anxiety with everyone. I just want to die so much I can’t do this. 
    • Posted

I am suffering badly at the moment from similar issues, indeed when the problems are consistently there and improvement/hope is lacking, naturally dark thoughts will follow.

You are not alone, always remember that, things can change, we must remember that even in the darkest of times.

Reach out for help, share your problems and don't let them win, we are in this together, the improvement/the light may be around the corner even if right now it seems distant.

Look after your self, I feel your pain and as I have said I have experienced similar issues and feel very low myself, life can be so tough, but we can still triumph and be happy.

• Posted

Bri, you’ll get through this, as there a lot of people here that can support and empathize with everything you’re going through.  Did you just start taking Zoloft?  If so, consult your doctor.  Quite often these medications take time (usually 3-6wks) to get into your system and work.  The side effects can vary, and usually “heighten” ones anxiety or OCD while just starting out.  But this will subside.  Talk to your dr to see if he or she can evaluate and maybe give you some recommendations.  Be well and keep in touch with everyone here.  Your not alone. 
  • Posted

Hello everyone this post is pretty old but I am having the same OCD as all of you it started two months ago and it is a living hell, may i ask how are you feeling now and what helped you in the battle?

• Posted

wow 😲 i thought im the only one feeling this way,we do need help. im really confused and sad also im damn scared i feel like im loosing it or im in a worse condition. im tired,i also over analyse things and also think too much. i think more negatively,i get easily irritated and angry, scared im gonna die soon or sth worse is wrong with me. and also asif im being controlled or im weird and different and also scared to sleep to cause i dont understand the fact im not understanding myself at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.