Extremely itchy vulva and anus

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi,

For about 6 months I've been having a non stop itch on my vulva. So bad to the point that I wanna cry. I can't stop itching! I've tried everything and seen the doctor too many times where they probably think I'm crazy. At first it was a fungal infection, then a yeast infection and now my gyno sees nothing that's related to the itching. I've been washing my underwear with clean and clear laundry detergent and been careful about soaps but still nothing. I also have hemorrhoids which I think is the cause of the anal itch too but that's just as bad! All day I just want to scratch the hell out of down there. It's quite depressing. I should mention my son did have pinworms at one point but they're now gone. And usually from reading pinworm eggs make it itch but even after I shower (if I had pinworms the eggs would wash away) its still itchy! Please help. I'm desperate for an answer. Holidays are coming up and I just want my normal feeling vagina back!

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Did you ever get an actual diagnosis? I've been ecperiencing this for 2 weeks and I'm miserable. Doctor couldn't seem less concerned. It happened right after sex w my new boyfriend, but we both tested and everything is negative. It looked red for several days, but that's gone. It just feels itchy and burns so bad. From the vulva all the way around to the anus. NOTHING helps. I'm so scared.

• Posted

After a year of dealing with this issue, I discovered this was the result of a severe reaction to maltodextrin and dextrose. Cut it out of your diet and see if that helps. It was in my coffee creamer so I was ingesting it daily.
  • Posted

I have not received an official diagnosis yet. The butt paste was helping but it got worse again. I switched to A&D ointment and that seems to help the symptoms tremendously, the burning and itching. I put it on every time I go to the bathroom and immediately after showering. I would suggest to try using that religiously if even just for temporary relief. 

I just had my second biopsy yesterday. The first biopsy said possibly condlyoma, which is the strain of HPV that can cause genital warts. They do not test for HPV during STD screenings, so you wouldn’t necessarily know that you had it even if you did. The only time to be concerned about having HPV is if you have an abnormal pap, and even then, if it’s detected early it has a very high success rate of getting back to normal. So just get a pap every year and dont worry about it otherwise. I only include that because if you start googling HPV, you can freak yourself out. 

My dermatologist does not feel that my symptoms are at all in line with HPV, so we did the second biopsy and are sending it to a new pathologist. She mentioned it could possibly be lichen planus, but even then, I’ve been looked at numerous times by multiple doctors and everyone has said the area looks normal. So I’m confused. 

It’s now my 6th month dealing with it. I have been to the doctor more times in these months than I have in my whole life. I hope if we figure it out that it will help someone here who is also struggling to find an answer. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I did also get pap back, showed abnormal cells, hpv, not the genital warts kind. I ended up having such severe pain yesterday, I went to the emergency room. Doctor said I was severely inflamed, inside and out. Could be a bacteria, but he didn't see an actual infection. I'm stl a terrified mess. I have a follow up with a new doctor tomorrow. I've spent a fortune at the doctor, missed time from work. This is an awful way to live!

• Posted

I’m so sorry! I know how awful this is! Have you tried seeing an allergist? My entire ordeal was an allergy! Apparently this is the way some people react to an allergen. I had a colonoscopy and an entire section of my rectum was inflamed. Now that I have cut out the 2 chemicals (which are found in half of all processed foods) I am 100% normal again!! 
    • Posted

No, I haven't. I already tend to avoid those chemicals. I do have chemical/ food sensitivities. It's a great suggestion. I have been doing the ketogenic diet as well, kind of wondering if that threw off something??

• Posted

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear that. I do hope you find some relief very soon. You’re absolutely right, it takes much enjoyment out of the day to day. I wonder why some of these genital inflammation issues are still such a mystery. 

I would be surprised if the inflammation is related to your HPV. I have been told that the types of HPV that cause abnormal cells is usually asymptomatic. I’d be curious to know if they peg it to that. 

I did actually reach out to an allergist yesterday to talk about what they do for cases like mine. She said they can test for an allergy to literally anything, even your partner’s semen if you’re sexually active. I’m waiting on my second biopsy results before I reach out to schedule that. I hadn’t changed anything in my life that I can recall when all this started, so I’d be surprised if it was truly an allergy. But she did say that they have been able to help many women who have had unexplained genital irritation. 

• Posted

I've heard that about even the seman causing an allergy! I hope something is figured out soon. I keep googling and that stresses me out. It's absolutely miserable! The two different areas being affected is odd too. They tell me yeast is negative!

• Posted

I've had the same problem for 3 or 4 years. My first thought was that I had gotten jock itch from having a bout of athlete's foot. I tried treating it with jock itch medicine, but it didn't help. I mentioned it when I had my pap test & the PA tending me took a scraping that nearly sent me through the ceiling! I'm sure the people in the waiting area wondered what the screaming was all about! Two years later I went to a different doctor (his PA) & she said she could see irritation. She requested lab work for any bacteria that didn't belong & any possible fungus. Nothing. She had said it may be necessary to do a biopsy if the lab tests don't show anything, & they didn't. It's been HORRIBLE the past couple of weeks, but now I don't have any insurance & can't afford to go to the doctor again. Please let us know what your biopsy shows & if you find anything that works.

I recently read about taking diatomaceous earth daily for all kinds of stuff & am considering trying that.

• Posted

I never even thought of a food related allergy. Thank you. I'll be checking my creamer in the morning. Glad you are feeling better! 

• Posted

Hi - can you please tell me which 2 chemicals you're referring to.  Thanks!

• Posted

So after a food allergy test it was determined that it was a corn and soy sensitivity. My coffee creamer had maltodextrin which is made from corn and the Bru Broth I drank had soy in it. I have completely changed my diet eliminating all corn and soy (almost impossible to do while eating out by the way!) there are over 100 names for corn! It’s as bad as sugar. I have to eat very clean and limit processed food to almost nothing but every little bit of my issue is GONE! Just for good measure, I also switched to a laundry detergent that has no dyes or perfumes. The food issue changed my life! It feels so good to be normal again! I hope this helps you. The blood test I did was called the Dunwoody food sensitivity test. I also had a certified nutritionist interpret the many pages of results and help me understand what was crucial that I eliminate!

• Posted

How long did it take your issue to go way after you stopped eating corn and soy? Thanks so much for sharing. I'm almost sure my issue is food related.

• Posted

Within a week!! It was corn, gluten, and soy! Super hard to avoid all three, especially when on vacation but I am on week 7 now! I am 100% normal! I am SO relieved and I hope you can find what your triggers are too!
    • Posted

Did you have to ask them to test for those specific things? Or did it just show up? Did you go to allergy clinic to have this done? Thank you so much. Truly happy that you found relief!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.