Extremely itchy vulva and anus

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi,

For about 6 months I've been having a non stop itch on my vulva. So bad to the point that I wanna cry. I can't stop itching! I've tried everything and seen the doctor too many times where they probably think I'm crazy. At first it was a fungal infection, then a yeast infection and now my gyno sees nothing that's related to the itching. I've been washing my underwear with clean and clear laundry detergent and been careful about soaps but still nothing. I also have hemorrhoids which I think is the cause of the anal itch too but that's just as bad! All day I just want to scratch the hell out of down there. It's quite depressing. I should mention my son did have pinworms at one point but they're now gone. And usually from reading pinworm eggs make it itch but even after I shower (if I had pinworms the eggs would wash away) its still itchy! Please help. I'm desperate for an answer. Holidays are coming up and I just want my normal feeling vagina back!

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The second biopsy was another lost cause. My doctor said it didn’t really tell her anything, except that we can rule out cancer. She did say there was a lot of bacteria, so now I’m on a 7 day antibiotic. The name escapes me but it’s prescribed for bacterial vaginosis.

I do have a lot of discharge, but it is odorless. BV is often characterized by a foul smelling discharge. BV is also very common, so if that was truly what I had, I don’t see why it would not have been found at one of the 20 visits where someone has examined me or taken some kind of swab. My doc just did a swab of my discharge and found nothing. 

The itching is still not as bad as it was when this all started right at 6 months ago, but it’s still there for sure. Just this morning I woke up and couldn’t get in the shower fast enough to get some relief. The A&D ointment still helps a lot and I use it religiously. I also have been putting Vaseline on my biopsy spot and that seems to help the area too. I’m still having anal itching as well. 

Trying really hard to not feel totally hopeless... I have been tested for everything, had two biopsies, and still the problem persists. You can tell my doctors are at the point now where it’s just a guessing game to see what may help. I’m convinced it’s some kind of infection possibly internal, but I’ve had all kinds of tests done to make sure that’s all okay too. I just don’t know what else to do. This whole thing is just very mysterious. I hadn’t changed anything about my life. I’m not sexually active. One day I was fine and two days later I was burning and itching to the point of tears. I just keep praying that we will find a solution. I hate seeing posts from many of you saying this has been a problem you’ve been dealing with for years. I’m very sorry and will absolutely share anything that may be of help to someone if I ever get it figured out. 

• Posted

My lab results also said I had a high level of bacteria down there. I was given a prescription (pills) that was supposed to be good for killing that bacteria, but I didn't see any improvement.

• Posted

Well ladies, doctor did more swabs last week and just called to tell me i have a bacteria called urealplasm. Many women carry it but never show symptoms. Guess what the symptoms are!??? It can also lead to vulvodynia if left untreated. Many doctors do not test for this unless u request it. I know have terrible pins and needles in arms and legs, which is a symptom of left untreated. Doctor is calling in 2 antibiotics. From what I've read, can take several courses to clear the infection. Ill keep u posted if this works. I'm praying this is the problem and that no permanent nerve damage has been done.

• Posted

Thank you all for your openness about this subject.

I have been suffering in silence for about a year with this being excruciating. Prior I was having yeast infections almost monthly like clock work. I was sent to an obgyn when I started having abnormal paps 3 years ago. I have had 4 biopsies of my vaginal walls and they can not find where the abnormal cells are coming from. They have gone from calling it abnormal results to me being treated and watched for a precancerous condition.

My life is nothing anymore and I have slipped into a deep depression that this is not helping. I have been intimate with my husband maybe half a dozen times in the last year. I'm so itchy all the time that I'm scratching myself raw all the time and even tho I desperately want to be close to him I simply don't want to be touched cause it hurts so bad from scratching myself open...

I have recently been told I may have picked up the disease MRSA ...a super bug that is antibiotic resistant... from the hospital in my city. There have been huge outbreaks in the region...could this be related???I have a few horrible hemorrhoids that are on the outside of my anus leading to the back of my vagina.....could bad hemorrhoids cause bad swelling and itching in the vagina and around the labias and just inside the lips....

Also I lost my virginity to rape when I was 14...im 34 now. and I've noticed I have and have had 2 small little lumps. One on one side inside the lip and another directly across from it on the other lip. Talking to my husband I think I may have had a septated hymen when I was young based on what I remember my vagina looking and feeling like prior to being raped. Could my hymen have ripped so bad it caused scars that are getting itchy now for some reason...

Also on meds putting me into full menopause while waiting on a full hysterectomy. Could that also be an itch factor???? Any advice is so appreciated. Especially what u find helps for instant relief of itching and burning so I stop tearing myself open everyday from scratching.

Thanks everyone.

• Posted

Hi all pls can someone get back to me. I have been with the father to my kids for 5 plus years and never had problems like this until one incident last year which changed my life forever and I feel has taken my life from me and my family. I was accuaintance raped by someone known and since the night I got discharge, then weeks later ithcing and burning. The loser was adimit he didn’t have anything but I didn’t believe him. It was not conensual and I’m horrified. I’ve made a statement but police don’t care about hpv. Yet my body is ruined for life. I kept getting checked for all stds and wasn’t with my kids dad for four months because I was paranoid of giving him a disease. But every doc said it’s just in my head so anyway with a small risk I guess we wanted to be a family and I didn’t want to let this freak ruin my life(he has). So I slept with my kids dad and now diseased him too. I have really bad ithcing and burning since last oct when he took advantage of me. I did get confirmed finally in jan that I have high risk hpv, I know it’s from the rapist but obvs no way to prove s**t. I hate this. My gyn said that won’t cause itch and burn but something is! I think it must be warts the low risk kind then but I can’t get any help unless they can visually see something wrong! As you girls and ladies, everything looks fine to my gyn but oh lord I can tell you it’s not! I itch and burn everyday, i feel so gross and this has ruined my life I feel very suicidal about the whole thing and like my life is over. I can’t put up with a constant reminder of my rape everyday for how long? How long will I endure this ? There’s no answers and no help and it must be hpv , some horrible strain that burns and itches. I performed oral sex on my partner a month or so ago and my throat burns too now. I feel I’m doomed and going to get some form of hpv before I know it. How do you deal these symptoms? It’s a nightmare my life turned into, from a selfish Pig I didn’t want to sleep with. Help ladies do you have any answers?

• Posted

Hi Emma, I’m so sorry to read your story. I hope that justice is served. But, in regards to your physical problem, has anything improved or been diagnosed? 

If you’re still having the same problem and you have been cleared of all STD’s (minus the HPV which if they caught it early enough should hopefully be taken care of easily. Also, high risk HPV just means it’s capable of more, but many women have it forever and it never becomes anything. What matters is that you regularly have paps and as long as those are normal you should be just fine.), maybe give the A&D ointment a try. It helps my symptoms significantly. 

• Posted

Hey ladies I have been irritated for years now and nothing has help. So I started watching the food that I was eating and drinking and I noticed that coffee gives me the itch. I'm starting to think that it may be food allergy.

• Posted

Hello I am shocked not one person attributed the vaginal itching to your hemorrhoids! I had exactly the same and when I treated the hemorrhoids all the itching went away.
    • Posted

Hi Linda,

I was actually just told that I have hemorrhoids. No one has told me that could be a cause of vaginal irritation. Did you have a doctor talk to you about that or did you just find that your itching was resolved when the hemorrhoids were treated? 

• Posted

Hi - I actually used latex gloves and smeared it everywhere but NOT inside. Well inside the vaginal folds but not actually inside. It eventually stopped working for me. I was also using panty liners because the paste is so messy.

It seemed every cream I tried ended up not working after awhile (short time really). Ice was my only relief. When I finally broke down and saw a doctor and was diagnosed with lichen sclerosus and tried the prescribed clobetasol ointment, I got relief after about 3 weeks. I now use it every other day and life is back to normal.

My best of thoughts go out to you. I know it is a frustrating thing to have to go through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.