Extremely painful colonoscopy

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi, I had a colonoscopy yesterday... I would like to share my experience... I have a pain in my abdomen for 4 years and feel unwell, bloated and in pain almost every day. After many tests - almost all negative, a test for calprotectin came increased so my dr sent me to have a colonoscopy to have a look if there is any sign of IBD. 

After almost a week of searching on the internet and reading discussions I thought it's gonna be ok.. many people described it as uncomfortable and said that the prep was worse for them. Also my friend has this procedure done and said she didn't feel anything as she was sedated. 

I was really anxious and scared about having the colonoscopy because I have abdominal pain constantly and very sensitive gut but thought that many people had it so I will be fine. 

The preparation was not really good but it was bearable. I had moviprep and didn't really mind the taste. The worst was the pain I had during drinking the liquid. My tummy was like it should explode... But I managed to drink it all and was ready to have the colonoscopy. I wasn't feeling very well and I was still going pooping that morning - even 10 mins before the procedure. I finished 2nd litre at 2am and my appointment was 8am.

Ok after few minutes I lied on my left side and was ready... the nurse gave me gas and air and it started... The doctor was a surgeon and everything but not gentle! He almost shouted on me to relax and it was just terrible - I was so scared! He put the endoscop in and after few seconds I was in so much pain! He didn't seem to stop and I started crying and screaming so he stopped and the nurse sedated me and gave me a pain killer. I have no idea why but the sedation didn't work at all - I was 100% conscious and I wasn't feeling relaxed whatsoever! They didn't give me more unfortunately and the doctor continued and asked me to lie on my back.. when I turned I never ever felt so much pain! I was in shock and pulled the endoscop out without realising how dangerous this could be! And that's how it finished... ( I had two gastroscopies before without any sedation and it was absolutely nothing compared to colonoscopy). 

I couldn't stop crying until late afternoon and I was pretty in shock. Didn't feel any effect of sedation at all. 

Sadly this wasn't over... at about 6'pm after a slice of bread and banana I was in pain again! Can't even describe how painful it was and I was shaking and so sick! I went to emergency where I stayed until 4am. Fortunately strong pain killers and some other pill they gave me helped so I went home. Today I had some more pain but it's so much better!

I don't want to scare anybody but just a give an advice to take strong sedation and pain killers make sure you are sedated. I think I've got something wrong with my bowel and therefore I reacted like this... 

Has anyone have similar experience? I feel like looser but I am so happy it's over and will ask for MRI or CT scan instead or for conoloscopy in full anaesthesia. NEVER AGAIN! :D 

4 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I agree with you 100% I had one today and the sedation did not work at all I was in constant pain they turned me about 6 times and pushed down on the scope which hurt even more. The doctor wrote that it was very difficult because of loops on the sigmoid and spleen so now I am left worrying if something has been ruptured or perforated. Never ever again. He seemed more annoyed that I kept saying how painful it was he kept upping the sedation but nothing worked. I am never putting myself through this horrorific procedure ever again
  • Posted

Hi, yes I had a colonoscopy today and only got half way through, I told them to stop the pain was unbearable?
  • Posted

Hi, i’ve had several colonoscopies and they are never comfortable. Yesterday i had this procedure and thought i was going to die! Honestly never in my life have experienced such chronic pain, and with no backing off from the surgeon or staff i felt so vulnerable. Ok they took 40 biopsies and its all for my good but gosh i don’t think i’ll ever forget that day. I understand you have to be “awake” so as to move under the instruction of the surgeon but under so much pain you can’t anyway. Surely there must be a better way than this. Utterly barbaric and yes the feeling of being violated is there too. I’m dreading the next one already 😰

• Posted

I, too, had the most painful colonoscopy ever. Went and got my records for this most recent time as well as the one I had 8 years ago. Very interesting, to say the least! The first time they gave me 200 mcg of Fentanyl . The most recent time they only gave me 50 mcg. No wonder I was screaming my head off because the pain was so intense. Anyone reading this, ask ahead of time how much medication they are going to give you!! They save money and some of us are paying the price!
    • Posted

Wow Susan,,, no wonder we all feel the pain so badly. All i got was a woozy head for a second and then the god awful pain. I just wish i had stopped them. Thankfully you are not alone with this barbaric treatment but unfortunately it shows how we are certainly not going to be the last to suffer. I hope you have recovered now. Andrea. 
  • Edited

I had colonoscopy 4yrs ago with no problems at all..woke up in recovery room all done...yesterday I had one of the most painful events ever..I went to hospital for another colonoscopy started the same build up procedure..they took me into the theatre and put sedation into my arm..didnt feel any different and doctor started to explain he was starting..only a minute in and I was crying with pain he tried to continue but pain was worse so he stopped and said I would have to get a ct scan instead..I fell asleep then and they wakened me up in recovery room...I was wondering if they didnt give sedation time to work..sick with disappointment as I was hoping to get some kind of results from colonoscopy..

• Posted

So sorry to hear it went so bad. Get your reports and see how much 

Fentanyl they gave you last time and then check to see how much 

this time. They are saving money by giving less medication and we

all pay the painful price. It is torture. I was screaming the whole time

they just gave me more of the Versed in hopes I would forget the torture!

Cruel!

Take Care and pamper yourself a little

Susan865

• Posted

Hello to all. I'm posting because I don't know anyone who has been in the same situation as all of us and feels better not to suffer alone.

I was sedated for the procedure (which was yesterday morning), but have been in pain ever since. I have an anal fissure (basically, a tear) caused by childbirth that led to bleeding, which is why I was sent for a colonoscopy at such a young age. I had panic attacks going into the procedure (the result of being assaulted), which is why I was fully sedated.

Since I came out of sedation I have had very intense pain between my hips and pelvis. I thought I was imagining it and kept trying to tell myself I was okay because I've heard that this procedure should be painless afterwards. Well, after a full day of pain and taking ibuprofen I called the endoscopy office and found out that my colon was curved more than average and they pushed on my abdomen a lot to get the camera through. I also was told that women generally have a longer colon packed into a smaller abdomen and the camera must make it around the uterus as well, so women (especially slender women) often have more painful colonoscopies.

I am writing this for everyone to feel less alone and also if you are considering getting a colonoscopy to go with your instinct. They can save your life if you have polyps and I know they help diagnose very painful diseases, but I wish I had trusted my instinct and declined. My original problem - pain from anal fissure- is worse now after defecating 42 times from the prep liquid and then having a tube go past the tear. If you're a woman who just a baby and is diagnosed with a fissure, I strongly urge you not to get a colonoscopy unless you have a family history of cancer or several indicators. Ideas that are helping me heal (well, before the colonoscopy wrecked me again) - stay hydrated, put your feet on a stool for bowel moments, get a prescription for lidocaine nifedipine, eat well, and find a pelvic floor physical therapist. They can actually help the problem by teaching you how to relax muscles and heal birth-related trauma. To all of you who have suffered on this board, my heart goes out to you. Much more care and thoughtfulness and support should be built around this procedure. It is anything but routine.

• Posted

OMG! I had exactly the same yesterday! I’ve had two previous colonoscopies which both gave me discomfort, but nothing like the pain I experienced yesterday, it was worse than childbirth! I have had extreme diaohrea for a week so I think my bowel may be irritated as well as my colon being inflamed! They have put me on steroids to calm my bowl down and I have to go back next week as they need to get to the right side of my bowel! I’m really worried! Like you I got sedation that made not one bit of a difference and I have to say, I consider myself to have a pretty high pain threshold! 
    • Posted

Hi today i went for a colonoscopy/endoscopy for the first time. Feeling very scared after hearing various horror stories about the endoscopy i waited for my procedure. I was a little surprised that i was given the sedation seconds before they started but thought it must work quickly. No it didnt!! The endoscopy although unpleasant was not painful but my gagging reflux was bad and i was fully aware of it all. However the colonoscopy was horrendous . The pain was unbearable and i felt like i was being tortured. They gave me 3 puffs of gas and air then took it away. When dr asked me to turn over i felt like i had a knife inside me. There were no words of comfort but the male nurse did rub my arm to show bit of sympathy. I said to my husband i feel like ive been abused! Got home felt awful. Slept for 2 hrs. Feel so weak and keep thinking about it. I dont know if i could ever have that done again. Im not a baby. Have given birth 4 times and had several ops but that was on a different level. Is it time to look at more sedation for this invasive procedure? Lots of people say they dont remember anything. Wish i could say the same.

• Posted

Hi Maureen, so very sorry to hear about your all too common experience, unfortunately i believe you will never forget it as lots of us are in the same boat! I have this done every three years and fear it, When meeting my consultant some weeks later i relayed my feelings saying i wouldn’t let anybody do such a medieval torture to me again ( as it was a nobody i’d met before that carried out the endoscopy) his reply was “ when you have your next one mention my name and I ore my direct understudy will undertake the procedure “. It’s just a horrible thing to relive.

We need to have this done for our own good but it’s unbelievable what we go through in this age of so called knowledge.

All the very best to you x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply john. Yes medieval is a very appropriate word! It def felt like torture. I know that these procedures can save lives and so that is brilliant but as you say in this day and age with so much advancement in medical knowledge no one should have to go through that amount of pain whilst being conscious. Lets hope they start to listen to patients and review this for all our sakes because i for one dont know if i could have this done again. Good luck with your next one john and hopefully it will be a better experience. Sending you good wishes.
  • Posted

Hi,

Have had similar experience. Curious how was the out come? Like you I'm wondering why I had so much pain 3/4 through colonoscopy? 

• Posted

Because of the nation wide scare of opioids they are nervous to give enough medication to get us through a colonoscopy without pain. I know for me if you do not take care of the pain before the procedure starts, if they start and I experience pain, my adrenaline kicks in and then trying to stop the pain is MUCH MUCH harder. I learned this with several difficult dental procedures. You must give the 'proper' medication before any procedure starts so we are relaxed enough to LET the pain medication work. I did talk to the nurse, who was there during the procedure, and she said that they did try to give more meds after they started to NO effect!

In my last Colonoscopy they found polyps and I will need another procedure in 5 years. I really don't like to think about that because I get nervous at just the thought. I was screaming in pain the whole time. After the first one, that went well, they reduced the pain meds to 1/8th of what I had the first time. 1/8th!

The best we can hope for is that we talk to the department about what we need for the procedure to happen, without pain. Best of lucky to all of us!

• Posted

Hi lina. I had the same type of experience. I had the sedation that made my head woozy immediately but that was it. As the doc was blowing the colon up it was utter agony. I was astounded by the pain. They gave me the gas and air and that did nothing at all to help. Every time he moved it up i bellowed. I couldn't help it. It was so painful. They said it was because the colon is flat and they need to blow it up for the camera. I didn't realise it would be that bad. I was on the verge of screaming to get it out twice but they said "nearly over Andrea". It wasn't nearly over. I told my daughter that if they said i could have cancer and needed to look in the future then i would rather die it was that bad. I thought i was being a baby but now i know i wasn't. I'm sorry to hear how badly you suffered lina but glad i am not alone with this shocking experience. I hope you have fully recovered.   Andrea. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.