Facial pain due toTrigeminal Neuralgia - 3rd

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I am 66 yrs old. I have TN-5th nerve of 3rd branch. Means i have pain near to my left ear. The pain started 6 years back. I have visitied doctor and started medicine tegritol 50mg. Its was fine for few months. Then again pain started and interrupting my regular day to day activity. Then i went for Electric shock treatment, in which side getting pain will be applied. I did this treatment on 2010, till last month ( june) 2016 didn't encountered the pain. But july 2016 onwards, i am getting severe pain. can not control and tegritol medicine not controlling the pain. During the severe pain, my hands and legs getting shaking and can't stand , i will fell down immediately. And during this time, i am not able to remember anyhting. after some time i came to normal. Also under the tounge , i am getting severe irritation and getting severe pain. And not able to speak. Its continuing.

Can one help me to come out of this pain.

Is any medicine will cure this?

is the surgery will cure this pain?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Natarajan,

Is your doc a neurologist ? If not get to one asap. If so and not helping you can go to the ER.

eddie13

• Posted

Hi eddie,

Yes, doc is neurologist. Have seen 3 to 4 doctors.after a shock treatment, i am ok. But now i am getting pain.

• Posted

I recommend MVA. As I have understood it helps in most normal TN cases. Unfortunately I have atypical TN so for me it didn't help much. Before I got the surgery I read a lot in Internet about it and asked around. The surgery went very well and after 10 days I was up from bed. So I don't see why you have to suffer. Just do the surgery.

• Posted

Carbamazepine/ lyica/ Lamotrigine That's just a few

I had the MVD and oh my God I was very ill after surgery 12 days ill and then 5 days in the ward. I can go on about all the things that went wrong and ruined my life for good. But I have heard good as well.

I would go down the route of Gamma Knife less invasive treatment (which is a radio active treatment, i think it is just a one off)

I have never heard of anyone with TN having Electric treatment? like you are saying. I can honestly say I'm in pain and very irritable when my tablets are needing changing to New tablets again. I hope this can be of any help?

• Posted

Did you have a good surgeon? I was lucky to get a surgeon who has done head operations for 30 years. He was a neurosurgeon who specialized only on head operations. I also had some problems. For 10 days I could not get out of bed as my balance was awful. Because of balance problems I felt sick in stomach all the time, I was like seasick. Also half of my head is numb. But now 2 months later feeling is starting to come back. But if it takes away pain then totally worth it. Which was not my case sad

• Posted

Patz I forgot to ask how old are you and do you have typical/atypical tn? Do you manage to live normal life with taking pills? This horrible tn is new to me so I try to find ways to accept it and live with it. I don't understand is it possible to have a normal life with tn or no sad

• Posted

I am the same as you, lost balance, double vision, couldn't eat properly, jaw was out of place, severe sickness and found out it was migraines and couldn't feel half my face and still can't after 2yrs and on more tables than i was before operation. I feel my quality of life is never going to the same. My surgery was in Aberdeen and my family brought my life down to Yorkshire where they are, so they could care for me. I am a lot better than before. I can't go out sometimes when it is very windy, as my face really hurts also cold weather. I'm only 51 now.

Some people it has work for

• Posted

Trigeminal neuralgia, . Anaesthesia dolorosa

Life is very hard at times but I do try not to let it get in the way but it does rule my life at times. Been told I won't ever be able to work again, due to condition. It does upset me quite often. I'm 51

• Posted

i have used wrongly used. its an Radio wave applied , in which the pain is severe.
    • Posted

I am in the age of 66. But need to check with doctor about the surgery. If its reduce my pain and no issues, i will try to do surgery. Thanks for the advice.
    • Posted

I am 66 yr old. after having the tablet, i am able to go normal.

But when i get severe pain, i lost my control and fell down where i am. Even while driving, i hit into the tree. So i am not going out with own driving. Its pathetic.

• Posted

Patz I am really sorry to hear that you have it like that. Did you have atypical tn like I have? I can't work either and now I'm full time housewife. I am only 26 and I have no kids. I really want kids, but not sure how can I get them when I am full of pills. I know how you feel. Some days I am so low that I think about taking overdose or something like that. It is very hard to keep fighting every day. Do you have kids? I'm sure kids motivate to keep going every day. I wish I could tell you that it will get better, but sadly I don't know that. I also don't know what happens with my own life and that's a scary feeling. You have pain because of anesthesia dolorosa? Is your tn pain gone? Pills don't take away your pain?

• Posted

Hiya Dona. The TN which I have is when a vein is rubbing against a nerve. I had the injection through my face and they did work, well it made it a lot worse and then after my MVD op they had damaged another nerve which gave me a double whammy (anesthesia dolorosa) Yes i was the the same as you, suicidal a lot of the time, thinking I've lost my life. But my ex partner gave me a lot of support and a hell of a lot of tissues. Dona I find it hard writing this because I'm slow at typing and it's now playing in my mind. If you e-mail me I'll give you my mobile number. And don't worry about not having a baby because I've meet someone who is due her baby in October. Tell you more later xx

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

I am very sorry that you have this pain. I had it for 18 months prior to electing MVD surgery. my case and age is very different from your's but i would first start by increasing the Tegretol dose. You are on a very low dose at 50. I had started with 200 and eventually gone up to 800 perday in order to control the pain. At your age, i would try high dose meds first before considering any invasive surgery like MVD. Please speak to your doctor about upping the doseage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.