Facial pain due toTrigeminal Neuralgia - 3rd

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I am 66 yrs old. I have TN-5th nerve of 3rd branch. Means i have pain near to my left ear. The pain started 6 years back. I have visitied doctor and started medicine tegritol 50mg. Its was fine for few months. Then again pain started and interrupting my regular day to day activity. Then i went for Electric shock treatment, in which side getting pain will be applied. I did this treatment on 2010, till last month ( june) 2016 didn't encountered the pain. But july 2016 onwards, i am getting severe pain. can not control and tegritol medicine not controlling the pain. During the severe pain, my hands and legs getting shaking and can't stand , i will fell down immediately. And during this time, i am not able to remember anyhting. after some time i came to normal. Also under the tounge , i am getting severe irritation and getting severe pain. And not able to speak. Its continuing.

Can one help me to come out of this pain.

Is any medicine will cure this?

is the surgery will cure this pain?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi All,

I had a discussion with doctor and confirmed that operation is NOT required.

None of blood vesals is not giving pressure to V3 nerve. I am geeting pain.

Now started tegretol 200mg and given injection to reduce the pain. No idea about the injection. Now felling better. I am able to walk alone and able to have food.

Will update if anything.

• Posted

Hello!  I am a 54 year old woman who has had TN for about 5 years.  The Tegredol worked well for me, until it didn't!  I was taking 600 mg a day.  After it was no longer effective, I scheduled surgery and upped my dose to 800 until I had the surgery.  Unfortunately the surgery was unsuccessful.  Now I'm back on the Tegredol, and I've started Vimpat.  I guess I'll try the gamma knife surgery next.  Living with this pain is not an option.  I guess what I'm saying is that you should up your dose of Tegredol.  I'm going to look into Botox as well.  I sure hope you feel better!

• Posted

Metsfan lisa,

Agreed Tegretol dose. has to be increased over the years. Under neurologist care of course. I too am at 800 now. Taken evenly, 200 every 6 hours important in my case.

eddie13

• Posted

I'm going to have to change things up.  Between the Tegretol and the Vimpat, I'm dosing 5X a day, but I think I'm going too long at night without.  I wake up and get whammied, and I'm shut down for the day, because of fear!  Thanks for the advice!

• Posted

Hey there,

I too have Trigeminal Neuralgia on the whole right side of my face. I am taking Gabapinton 300mg 3xa day. One in AM, One at midday and two at bedtime. It does not stop all together but just a tinge here and there but at least I can cope and do my work now. I am too afraid of having the surgery or radation. Do not take Tegritol as I do not like the way that made me feel and I think it is bad for you. My friends are nurses and they tell me that most people take the Gabapinton so you should ask your Dr. about it. I wish you the best and if you get any info please forward on to me. I think there must be something besides medacation and cutting into your skull that is so risky. Until I hear from you have a blessed day and God go with you. 

• Posted

Hi ,

I check with doctor about the Gabapinton. As he told me that, depending upon the patient condition the medicine will be given. It will be an different combinations compared to Tegretol. Need to go with doctor advise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.