Facial Pain/Pins & Needless and Flushing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, 

I have been suffering from pains and numbness on the right side of my face for a while now. I have attended the doctors on many occassions who at first thought this was due to migranes and put me on 10mg of amitriptyline to take in the evening. This helped but only for a few weeks and then i was back as the pains were still there along with the tingles/pins and needles feeling in my face (it feels like my face is numb and heavy) i am now upto 50mg of amitriptyline in the evening now and i am still feeling the pains and tingles. I have had alot of dental work done due to three years ago having electric shocks in my teeth this resulted in me losing all of my upper right teeth. 

What i'd like to know is this sounding like Trigeminal Neuralgia? I attended my dentist and she is now reffering me to the dental surgeon i also get major flushing on the right side of my face and ear - i feel like it is on fire it also appears on my back and chest. 

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes it does I've had 3 flare ups in 2 years the last one I went straight to the dentist not thinking because my teeth were so so painful upper and lower jaw and I had dental work last year, and 2 months ago anyway dentist did tests x rays nothing wrong with my teeth and was another TN FLARE up awful x I get pins and needles x sensation and heavy feeling not numb as such but a different sensation in that side of my face teeth ache ear ache jaw ache shooting electric pains it's horrible x
    • Posted

Hi Karen, 

Thank you for your response, everything you have described is what i get - I am going demented with it all! My dentist has gave me a splint to wear at night also but even with that i am still suffering. I have went from a happy normally chatty person to being very withdrawn do to being in pain. 

If you dont mind me asking who diagnosed you with TN?

x

• Posted

I've currently been off work.for three weeks between medication for the TN my shoukder and neck which one of my GP thinks is all.linked as I have arthritis in my neck, I'm currently taking

1 x 400mg 3 times a day

1 x 1000mg paracetamol 4 times a day

1 x 400mg Gabapentin 4 times a day which works but I still get break through with pain but bearable and doesn't last long and sometimes hot water bottle helps I can't do anything cold or eat anything cold just aggravates it. I don't mix with people either it's not nice people just don't understand how excruciatingly painful.it is what effect being in pain for long periods of time has on yiu yiu become withdrawn and depressed tired worn out but the depression and withdrawn I think comes from being so tired all of the time, I do feel for you it's not nice ebut loads of people get to see the neurologist I haven't they won't send me because the tablets work however I can't drive on them they make me sleepy so to go to work mi have to come of them to be able to drive x

• Posted

Are you in the UK Amanda x
    • Posted

I'm currently taking 50mg of amitriptyline just now in the evening for pain thats all i have been prescribed, mind you any other painkillers dont work for me. I do find if i talk for long periods of time, smile or chew that seems to make the pain worse and i get the flushing on my face/ear/neck my doctor and dentist have used the word "weird" with what keeps happening to me. (Doesn't make me feel any better) My GP thought this was an allergy. 

Yes i am in the UK Karen, you? x

• Posted

Yeh I'm. In UK it's great isn't it when they use words like weird, eating on that's side for me is psinful when I'm in the middle of a flare up I don't think it's weird at all I think it's straightforward don't give up keep at them yOU have to x
    • Posted

I'll keep at them, this has been going on since January and i'm back and forward from the doctors like a yoyo. It doesnt help when you have kids to look after and a job to go too. 

Do you take headaches along with the TN? x

• Posted

Yeh I do and many sleepless nightsmy last flare up from 3 weeks ago brought me to my knees at 3am I was sick nearly passed out and had a temperature with pain that's the worst I've ever experiencedit is difficult when you have children and work and GPs don't listen to you I do feel. For you I know where you are coming from Im 46 and started a degree I've just had to defer it until October so I can sort this out really messes up.your life I get funny sensation in my eye sometimes too x
    • Posted

I really can relate to everything you are saying, you have my sympathy. The reason i asked about the headaches as mine when they come boy do they let me know they are here and any movement hurts, even lying down!! Its like an electric current pulsing round my right ear down my neck along the back of my neck and ending up on my left ear. Any movement i have with this makes it pulse more and i have been in tears with the pain. I was off work last Monday (which i am lucky i work for my Dad) to attend the doctor as I just couldnt cope - ive to go back on the 9th of April. I too have a werid sensation with my eye ... it tingles and can also droop a little especially when i have the headache

I hope you get this sorted so you can carry on with your degree, i've just turned 38 and feel about 68!!

x

• Posted

Yeh my GP thinks mine is all linked into my neck and shoulder. But the trigeminal ganglion sita above the ear, the trigeminal nerve splits into 3 One branches into the forehead, the second and third upper and lower jaw, so you will get all sorts of symptoms related to nerve pain, teeth ache jaw ache pain different types of pain all what you have have saidhope you get something sorted soon if it gets really bad do what I did go to A +E
    • Posted

Who said anything about weird, we know it's horrific we know it's excruciatingly painful no.one said an thing about weird, apart from yOU cam get a weird sensation in your face mine has settled down after 4 weeks of work after it brought me to.my knees passing out at 3am.now get a weird sensation in my face difficult to describe but still get pain break through but been able to reduce meds enough to go back to work. With the new drug driving laws
    • Posted

Hi Maggie, 

I have the doctor on Thursday morning so i will let you know how i get on. The only medication i am taking is 50mg of amitriptyline at the moment which i am hoping that she will precribe something to help me during the day as the pain is constant. Im not moving until something is done as this is not helping my state of mind right now, i am so down all the time and in tears - which in turn doesnt help with the pain. x

• Posted

You can call NHS direct, I did that and they said it's ok to up the dosage and you can to pain killers too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.