Facial Pain/Pins & Needless and Flushing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, 

I have been suffering from pains and numbness on the right side of my face for a while now. I have attended the doctors on many occassions who at first thought this was due to migranes and put me on 10mg of amitriptyline to take in the evening. This helped but only for a few weeks and then i was back as the pains were still there along with the tingles/pins and needles feeling in my face (it feels like my face is numb and heavy) i am now upto 50mg of amitriptyline in the evening now and i am still feeling the pains and tingles. I have had alot of dental work done due to three years ago having electric shocks in my teeth this resulted in me losing all of my upper right teeth. 

What i'd like to know is this sounding like Trigeminal Neuralgia? I attended my dentist and she is now reffering me to the dental surgeon i also get major flushing on the right side of my face and ear - i feel like it is on fire it also appears on my back and chest. 

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

There is a lot of info on the Internet,Trigeminal Neuralgia is easy to understand and your doctor will diagnose and give you medication.Do nt get any more dental work done and see your doctor.Sounded like TN till you said back and chest.i've never heard of that. Best wishes
    • Posted

Hi Maggie, I have done lots of research on the internet about TN, the problem is I have not been diagnosed with it. My doctor never mentioned anything to me about TN but thought I was getting migranges and related the pain in my face to them. I have no upper right back teeth to have anymore dental work done and this all started with feeling electric shocks in those teeth roughly three years ago.

What i also get is flushing (looks like an alergy) on my face - when I attended the dentist last week and just with her making me open and close my jaw and touch the upper right area made my face for the first time on both sides (its normally only my right side) look like I had boiling hot water thrown over me this travelled down my neck on my back and chest it feels like its on fire but after a while it calms down and goes away. I dont have pain in my back and chest. I have pictures the dentist took to show my GP next time i am back - my dentist so far has been the only one to mention the Trigeminal nerve and is recommending I attend a dental surgeon. 

• Posted

hi!if I woz u I'd maybe go av a chat wiv ur doc again & mention about trigeminal neuralgia wiv all our symptoms etc..etc..u can neva b 2 careful can u? em x
  • Posted

Sounds like a sure shot to me but it can be complicated as lots of people don't experience the exact same symptoms. You'll need a scan you poor love x
    • Posted

Thanks Rachis, the reason the dentist is sending me to the dental surgeon is there is nothing else she can do .... i'm hoping to push my GP to give me a neurology refferal. 

Thank you for your support. x

• Posted

Hi Amanda This is my 2nd post in 5mins cause I am sure the amitriptyline is not helping your pain as I have been taking it many years and believe it's helps with depression ,sleep and nerves.Another drug doctors love to prescribe.There are special drugs for TN such as Lyrica(pregabalin)Tegretol. (Carbamazepine).You can find them on the Internet.Get a 2nd opinion.
    • Posted

Hi Amanda .Of course you would find out the facts about about medication and the disease on the Internet.you need to see a dr first to  diagnose and prescribe medication.Of  course I did not suggest you buy drugs on the net.Good luck.
    • Posted

How are you getting on Amanda? Are you  ok.
    • Posted

Hi Maggie, 

I'm still pretty much the same at the moment, just getting through each day. I was at my dentist yesterday and she is putting a refferal to a dentist in Manchester called Stephen Davies he is an expert in TMJ disorders and she thinks i will be a good candidate for the problems i am having. I still have had no diagnosis but i also have a the doctors next week to push for something more to be done as its very dishearting living in constant pain. I am 99.9% sure i have TN but its getting a proffessional to diagnose me with this is the issue. 

How are you? 

• Posted

Hi Amanda. Hope you are doing ok. I am not crash hot as the pain is on the roof of the mouth and upper right incisor and there have been e few depressive times like staying in bed,and taking a strong opiate like OxyContin.However son came to visit and demands no more mucking around.I am to see a neurosurgeon.So off to go  who adds tegretol 100mg at night which replaces night Lyrica,faxes referral to trio of neuros,arranges for free MRI ($350Au).Rather clever lady doc.No pain now.Best wishes.
  • Posted

Amanda don't buy drugs of the internet as implied above carbazapine tegretol didn't work. For me but anybody these nerve pain drugs tegretol amyltriptaline gabapentin maybe yiur dosage isn't right My GP has just increased my gabapentin because it has worked in the past, maybe you need higher dosage more often x
    • Posted

hi!I'm on gabapentin, tramadol,amitriptyilin & as many paracetamol as is needed & 4 extra bad days I take oralmorph-this has all been upped 2 top doses,this will work 4 a while & then it's back 2 the docs 4 trial & error wiv a few more cocktails ov meds,that's wot most ov us do init?iI av TNTYPE2 (atypical) & I get pain 24/7 so I get used 2 meds "better" than "normal" people,4 the want ov a better way 2 put it?lol! em x
    • Posted

Hi Karen, 

Dont worry i wouldnt go down the road of buying drugs off the internet, the only thing the amitriptyline seems to help with is me sleeping at night for now. The pain and heavyness in my right cheek right next to my ear is where i feel it all the time. I get tingles along all three main branches of the Trigeminal nerve my forehead, along my cheek to the tip of my nose and down to the lower jaw with varied stabbing pains in my ear. 

I'll speak to my doctor on my next appointment on the 9th and suggest TN and ask if there is different medication thy can give me. Also waiting on an appointment at the dental institute - god knows when that will come as i know from previous experience they have a huge waiting list. 

Thank you so much for all your advice.  

Amanda x

• Posted

Hi Em, 

How are you getting on? I find normal over the counter medicines dont have any effect with my pain and i have been told from the doctor not to take too many as i'll end up with rebound headaches. So i only try and take them if i really cant cope. How are you coping with all the medication you are on?

Amanda x

• Posted

Karen,Amanda seemed like she wanted to know more about TN topics so I mentioned finding  FACTS about TN and drugs( medications) used by using the Internet..best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.