Facial tightness

Posted , 34 users are following.

All,

I know anxiety is said to cause multiple symptoms across the body but I still can't accept it as being solely at the root of the issues I have.

For seven weeks I have had a facial tightness on the left side of my face. It's not severe, just a feeling that my skin is a bit stiff, as if glue has dried there. I had the exact same issue last Christmas and it went away.

This is a particularly stressful time of year for me but I don't understand how anxiety can affect one side only and how it can persist for weeks? Has anyone else experienced this?

4 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've experienced numbness on one side of my face before but it went after a day or two. I know anxiety can cause tightness and numbness around the neck and face. I've had constant tingling/numbness in my hands for the past month, it's not severe as such, just rather annoying! I don't know why anxiety does this though. It's a pain! 
  • Posted

I've been dealing with this too. It started off as certain spots on the right side of my face went numb for a couple hours, then felt the tightness a couple days after as well. I was on antibiotics so I went to my doctor to see if it was the medication, anxiety/stress, or something serious. Mine came and went a lot but he said he doubt it was my medication, he's been a doctor for many years and the medication he put me on, never happened to anyone else. He thought maybe I was experiencing a stroke (I'm 21) but he said it couldn't be it with nothing else happening. I asked about brian tumors but he said i would of also had other problems going on with the facial numbness and it wouldn't be just certain spots, that whole side of my face would of been affected. 

He told me it could simply be anxiety and the stress. I have a hard time believing it too. Anxiety causes so many real things that freaks you out thinking its something else. 

• Posted

Hi Victoria,

I know you posted this 3 years ago but thought I'd try anyway. Are you still dealing with your facial numbness? What antibiotic were you on? I have been having similar issues with facial loss of sensation and numbness. Also my facial muscles get tired and lose ability to move - upper lip, forehead and jaw. This all happened after I took a course of Bactrim.

• Posted

Hi there! I know this is quite an old thread but I just wanted to share my experience.

Recently I have been experiencing "tightness" in my face too. But its only on my nose. The best way i can describe it is like having a blackhead strip stuck to your nose constantly. To back track a little, I started off having headaches. The first headache I had was like a migraine, then everyday thereafter I started having just a constant throb on one side of my head. That was 2 weeks ago and now my headaches have stopped but I am left with this tight/numb feeling in my nose!

my first thought was "brain tumour" and I got really worried.

I have seen two doctors about my symptoms and they were both bewildered. My family doctor prescribed me some medications for sinus problems. The second doctor i seen checked inside my ears and told me I had a dull eardrum on my right side (side where the headaches have been) and she put me on a course of antibiotics. But I'm still not convinced this has anything to do with my sinuses or ears.

but still no answers for this tight feeling on my nose! Its driving me crazy. I have no idea what it could be and i am getting so freaked out that i may have a brain tumor or something sinister going on.

on the other hand, i see some of you have mentioned anxiety. I recently moved house and have a 5 month old daughter to tend to everyday and have been under some (but not alot) of stress. But i also don't see how this symptom could be anxiety related.

did you ever get to the bottom of symptoms?

• Posted

Hi! Whatever you described is very similar to me. The start or the onset, the progression, everything. The nose symptoms also. I have disturbances in my ear as well as facial nerves are closely connected with ear. Only unfortunate thing is due to rough handling of an intern dentist i got this problem on both sides of my face. Im taking a medicine to control nerve signals.

Thanks

Please keep me posted with updates.

Im getting an MRI done soon

• Posted

Where are you from Mia? My MRI report has come normal.. However I am. Planning to consult some plastic and reconstructive surgeon in India where i live and also London or USA wherever im able to travel. Theres more restricted movement of face on my left side when i smile. Similar on my right with less intensity.. It is extremely annoying and depressing.. It may be synkinesis is what i feel after much research on the Internet. Do u feel any restricted movement of your face? If yes then get evaluated for synkinesis.. You and me have same problem.

Regards

• Posted

Hey Please I'm having the exact same symptoms and it's driving me crazy ! How did you deal with yours  please?? Thanks 

• Posted

I Get strange facial stuff too. They are muscles and nerves that get effected by anxiety like any other muscle or nerve in your body. Tmj (google that) occurs in many with anxiety and causes much of these sensations along with sinus issues, allergies. I hate it too. We are just humans and living in any heightened state of anxiety has its effects. I use a mouth solint i sleep in. I remind myself its anxiety related and if i want it to calm down i have to calm down. Its more then a simple thought so be patient. Muscles and nerves get inflammed so it isnt going to happen over night. Tmj can go and on. It all goes back to your cooing mechanism for anxiety and seeking self calming tools or suppliments. The core is the anxiety but to believe your body won't or doesnt  get effected is silly. It will calm down when you have really learned to calm down youself happily muscles and nerves bounce back over time, the jaw is powerful and clenching and bruxism (from anxiety,mwhikst asleep usually) hurts muscles and nerves.

• Posted

Im going on 42. I have had a tight throat for 2.5 years. my neck is also tight. I wake up with numb hands. Ive been tested for gerd and I do not have that. I thought I had a slow onset of anaphylaxis 2.5 years ago when my throat closed up but I cannot confirm it for sure. Its just a theory of the many ive had throughout the years. I had a ct scan and everything came back normal. Ive had numerous other medical tests and all they could come up with was mild to moderate degenerative disc disease c4 which my doctor says everyone has. 

The symptoms that annoy me most right now is my stiff neck and tight throat. I would like to believe it is the muscles as you describe and not something else. 

btw, my blood count is normal too so the doctor says its not cancer

• Posted

have a test for Scleroderma.. I had pnumonia in 4-16 with broc. was sick for a mo.  (a health nut) never been to a Dr. for anything bad for 20+ yrs. I am 76 women.. In Sept. I sat next to a lady who had a cold at dinner.. 3 days later I had sort of a cold.. not bad but my neck on both side felt like a vise & both of my cheeks same & tight back of head & above right eyebrow,, The test said Scleroderma.. I am seeing a Dr. on this .. this mo. .. I had to go back to the clinic & ask them to do further test.. it came back 2.6 00.0.9  normal so my is 2.6 .. so tired of this feeling .. also had made a appt. with a salvia & lymph Dr. will keep it to see if that is the problem or something new.. I am scared , so my blood pressure rises.. my husband died & I live alone with my adopted 3 fur babies.. I also feed a cat everyday from my basement window & made a home for it in my back porch.. the stiff neck is like in a vise.. how are u doing now.. let me know what u did to get rid of that awful feeling.. thank u Shirley.

• Posted

LisaLisa - thanks for your insight. This sounds similar to what I've been experincing for the past few weeks.

-  pins/needles feeling on the surface of my face.

- Bilateral, moves around.

- I described it as numbnes but it's more of a pickling.

- It's not painful, but it's distressing.

- Begins around my lips and cheeks and will go up as far as my ears and even my upper eylids.

- The more I think about it, the worse it seems to get. (Or maybe the worse it gets, the more I think about it.)

I've been stressed a lot at work and tend to be clenching my jaw often. The tingling is never present when I wake up, but I wake up with sore teeth/jaw and my facial muscles feel tired.

My doctor believes it is stress because it is bilateral and comes and goes. He said if it was just on one side and if it wasn't going away, he'd send me in for a CAT scan. But right now, he said I'm not describing numbness inasmuch as a heightened "pricking" feeling and he wants me to try Xanax on and off to see if the symptoms go away when I take the anti-axiety drug.

• Posted

Hey jay40. I realize this post is old but have you ever gotten an extended thyroid panel tested? Sounds similar to thyroid dysfunction.

Allie

• Posted

Hi Shirley I'm sorry to heAr about your husband-prayers your way. What test diagnosed your schleroderma? I'm haveing similar odd orofacial

Pain and also join instability any info you have to share would be wonderful -I too have 2 fur baby kitties I know yours are easing your pain right now

• Posted

Hi Jay,

I too have same condition some tight throat and persistent tight back of the upper neck since 2 years.cbc normal, have vitamin b12 and d3 in sufficient, so taking these.

• Posted

Im 27 and struggling w anxiety for about 8 years now. I also have been having the throat/neck/jaw tightness for a few months now. I think it is def anxiety as it seems to go away when i am distracted and not focused on it.

It is so uncomfortable tho! Super tight all over my throat and neck area and even my tongue and jaw feel tight and sore sometimes. I had that lump feeling in my throat for 2 days and when it finally went away i had a sore throat i guess bc the muscles were worn and tired from being so tight for so long. Its so frustrating, i try to ignore it and relax myself but it doesn't really help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.