Facial tightness

Posted , 34 users are following.

All,

I know anxiety is said to cause multiple symptoms across the body but I still can't accept it as being solely at the root of the issues I have.

For seven weeks I have had a facial tightness on the left side of my face. It's not severe, just a feeling that my skin is a bit stiff, as if glue has dried there. I had the exact same issue last Christmas and it went away.

This is a particularly stressful time of year for me but I don't understand how anxiety can affect one side only and how it can persist for weeks? Has anyone else experienced this?

4 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Srite

I know this is an old post but I have been dealing with what you have described. It is hard to put into words but you had me at the drying glue comment. Have you had any luck or can give me any advice? I am going on 5 mths now and docs are getting nowhere. Thanks

• Posted

Hey my symptoms are identical to yours plus I am experiencing problem in opening my mouth. Recently I underwent a traumatic tooth extraction and my doctor suspect maybe it is because of this.
  • Posted

There's only 1cure..gamma knife surgery..it's a non invasive procedure.. Just like laser ..they treat your sensory root of trigeminal nerve..all your distressing sensations will go away..

• Posted

have had this for 4 mos. been to 5 diff. Drs. what are these Drs. called so I can look up & make an appt. are they ENT Drs.?? or.. thank u... my neck feels like it is in a vise & goes up to my lower cheeks.. used to be in the back of my head also.. glad u feel better sp.

• Posted

These are neurosurgeons.. Look for gamma knife surgeries..if u have tingling, pricking, spasms, current like sensations on your face..

This condition is called trigeminal neuralgia. If you have that, gamma knife procedure will cure you.

• Posted

Hi I know it's been a while since you posted this but what you have discribed word for word is exactly how I've felt over the past 2 weeks now just curious if you ever got to the bottom of what it was? Would be much appreciated if you could let me know.

Hope your well

Simon

• Posted

Hi everyone

Sensetions on face , like ants walking on face , then nerve reactions like as if somethings under your skin trying to get out , ear ache, tempel area wired spasm and pressure ,

this is whats going on , running me nuts had similar sensetions in 2006 now after a surgery its came back but worst ,

Is anyone esle haveing these sensetions ?

• Posted

I've had full body nerve tingling before it's incredibly uncomfortable , never had a surgery or if I understand your situation correctly. But if I do it's the brains reaction to feeling like something is out of place mentally working that something is wrong and not accepting that everything is all right. I do it often haha . If you read through some of my comments I posted tonight it might help give you some type of direction or insight of what you might be able to do to stop it quickly and understand it and I hope it helps. I suggest developing a routine of relaxation when something like this occurs and other steps I mentioned in my comments. Don't read into them to much, I'm not a professional, I'm just some that has over come some major anxiety issues and hope it helps.

• Posted

Yes, I have had the same exact thing. I have also had numbness and tingling and the feeling like there is a hair on my face or my skin is crawling. I went to the ER and they did a head CT and a full work up, told me I was fine and it was probably just my anxiety. 
  • Posted

I just noticed your post was posted 3 years ago. I thought by sharing my own problems can somehow makes you feel better or at least you are not alone on this. Yes, I feel facial tightness all the time for many years. The tightness I felt is around my forehead, both sides of my face, cheeks and chin area. From my own experience, this is due to stress, and tension, overused of facial muscles due to overthinking, worrying, anxiety, over using the brain, etc. And also, I try to avoid Monosodium Glutamate, or salt type seasoning, which I believe after my cutting down on the usage, contributes to the lessening of the tightness that I am now feeling in facial area. Hmm, I wonder if my post would still help you by at least letting you know that you are not alone in this.
  • Posted

I just want to add my piece to this question and over all discussion and the difficulty with anxiety. I have experienced anxienty on a level of panic attacks that have once cause me to turn pale white and vomit, I have experienced anxienty attacks where I go into a state of constant shaking and have experienced anxienty attacks where I believed a side of my body would go numb but wasn't and one that had a physical alteration to me that would cause me to occasionally lose vision in my left eye from seconds to minutes every 2 weeks or days or months that went on for 1 year and had doctor's check out. I had no signs of any illnesses or anything that would indicate that I was in any harm and have been able to get past it and no longer have it occur. I learned from it saw what my triggers were and got a routine that would calm me down by putting me in a comfortable place to relax and know I'm not alone. For instance I here on this page because of one now with facial tenseness and trying to use a heating pad to realease any tenseness in my shoulders where I know I keep my stress and have a sound track of rain that always puts me in a good mood . It might sound weird but it works for me. I suggest finding out the triggers when this occurs don't disregard it and get in a pattern to put you back where you need to be and keep the mind from racing. I'm simply trying to keep my mind occupied with this message in the hope to help others to help myself . I hope it doesn't affect you to much and always talk with someone. Your not alone and I hope your ok and feel better.

• Posted

Just to add basically axienty can route from a trauma, exhaustion, overwhelmed, over thinking and has different affects to each. For me it was a mix. Find your route and understand it and accept it for what it is to always move forward and better yourself.
    • Posted

What I've achieved from all this is I quite smoking cigarettes, I quick smoke weed, I cut down drinking to the point I never get drunk and have one or two drinks a month, I began to work out a lot. It helped improve me . Take the good from the bad.

• Posted

Last and final note because talking about this is helping at the moment and not meaning to badger on but I have also experienced a type of issue that mimiced heart palpitations, where when I went to the hospital for it, there was a muscle on my chest that would flex and cause the heart monitor to show an additional heart beat that caused a very sharp pain

• Posted

Hi Srite, I know it's been 4 years how are your symptoms now ? Hopefully better and if it is what did you find to help ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.