Facial tingling with sinusitis

Posted , 53 users are following.

Hi... was wondering if anyone else has experienced this... I have sinusitis but no mucus but have facial pain with tingling around my nose cheek and pain above my brow.. I thought it might be my teeth.. but my dentist took an xray and it wasn't... but she could see sinus congestion on the xray! I've had this on and off for about 10years and have been referred to both max fax and ent... who have both discharged me.... the pain gets worse when I'm stressed or anxious which makes me think it's pycholological.... but the pain definately feels real.... I've been prescribed amoxicillin and been told to increase my amitriptyline to 50mg.... I'm at the end of my tether as is my husband.... has anyone else has tingling pain with sinusitis???? Many thanks

5 likes, 115 replies

115 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I've got no mucus either and also am on amitriptyline. Not really tingling, but nose goes cold, head pain, around eyes, cheek bones and when very bad teeth when I usually get antibiotics.

What do you think of the amitriptyline?

Also, was there no diagnoses after the xray on the exact cause? Mine is a nasal spur and swollen turbinates.

Bane of my life !

• Posted

Hi.... thanks for your reply...I've been taking 10mg amitriptyline for past 8 years... and apart from a dry mouth and maybe some weight gain I don't have any other side effects.... the xray just showed congestion but no cause given... think it just runs in my family!!! Anxiety defo makes the tingling worse... but it's quite stressful having these symptoms for so long...seems as if not a day goes by without something twinging causing pain in my head or teeth... i had breast cancer 7 years ago and apart from the chemo... I think I'd rather have a breast op than this horrible pain! Thanks for your reply

• Posted

Oh no, I felt sad when you said you'd rather have that than this because I know how bad it is - thank God the cancer is in the past.

I would get a camera up the nose if you haven't had that as they can't see everything in a scan. I know how it feels when you're explaining your symptoms and noone can really relate...

• Posted

I do occur the tingling in the face area on occassion as i write this it is happening. I have chronic sinusitis. The anxiousness and stress can excerbate any symptoms especially those in the face area. Even being happy and excited can cause the sypmtoms, the nerves in the nasal passages are very sensitive
  • Posted

Agreed. Stress can cause strange/increased symptoms if you have sinusitis. Kind of sounds more like nerve pain, however. Could be trigeminal neuralgia. You can google that for more info. Gabapentin helps with nerve pain.
  • Posted

Yep, I'm going through it right now. The tingling sensation is on my cheek on the left side. It's also a bit puffy on that side as well. I've had sinus problems my whole life, but they've really been acting up lately. Years ago I went to an ENT, and he found a deviated septum, which was fixed. Since then, I would just go to my family doctor when the sinuses act up. Well, after many years, I've been referred back to an ENT. I was put on an antibiotic again, and will have a CAT scan of the sinuses on October 1st. The ENT explained that the mucus congestion can build up to a point where it puts pressure on your nerves, and that will cause tingling or a slightly numb feeling. It's probably time for you to find a different ENT that can actually help you.

• Posted

Hi... in fairness ent have offered me an operation... I think it's called fess... but it sounds awful... so I refused to have it.... I still think my teeth are involved somewhere along the line... but my dentist disagrees!!!

• Posted

Hi sue,

ive to experience the same thing. 

I was told by gp consultant it's  chronic sinusitis and other things.

i Had a course antibiotics and painkillers, ct and Mri scan.

The tingling sensation comes back from time to time, so I did my research.

I just do a full body cleanse and alkaline eating and it's truly help with the sintusitis.

some of foods and products we uses causes more pain and imflamation or build up of

mucus I can tell.

I say learn about your body, you know how you feel and what your going through

there no harm in trying and see if this could help.

ive not for last 3months had to reach for painkillers, thank God.

i also steam 3x a week 

exercise of often 

a cleaning eating.

• Posted

I have had these same syptoms. Almost a tingly fuzzy headache with feeling of something crawling in my face. Turns out it was polyps. I would for sure go to an ENT and get a MRI of the head to rule out polyps. Hope that's not what it is.

• Posted

I do have polyps. It started with the worse headache of my life. Then to numbing and fuzzy feeling on my left hand side. I've had a headache for 4 months. Panic/anxiety attacks pretty much everyday. Tooth pain neck pain off balance. The list goes on!

• Posted

Sara that's exactly the same as me

It gets to the point where I don't want to go out the house as I'm afraid I'll get my anxiety about feeling dizzy which then leads to a panic attack it's a vicious circle and I'm fed up with it now I just want to feel normal again

• Posted

Reading your post made me cry. Thats exactly how I feel! I never use to be this way and now I feel like a wack-ah-do.....im just glad to know that im not alone.
    • Posted

any update on your condition? i am going throug same thing.
  • Posted

Hi Sue,

I too get a tingling sensation across the bridge of my nose, my cheekbones and the left side of my face.

I had acute sinusitis a couple of weeks ago which I was given antibiotics for and it seemed to relieve the pressure feeling and I felt almost normal for a couple of weeks. But yesterday the pressure, tingling feeling came back and I'm starting to feel yuk again, I'm kind of hoping it's sinusitis again and not anything more serious like a brain tumour or MS

I'm seeing my doctor next Friday and I'm going to push for an MRI or CT scan because it can't go on like this it's getting me down

• Posted

Do you think it's serious then?

I also have periodontis could this be connected?

• Posted

Hi Laura.... I'm sorry you are not feeling well again... it's horrible and I know exactly how you feel!!! I agree it does get you down because as soon as you start to feel well again it seems to come back!!! I've just returned from Minorca and was feeling well on holiday... but more or less as soon as I stepped off the plane my symptoms returned and I've had them for 2 weeks now.... it feels as if the mucus in my sinus cavity is moving and touching all the nerves around my nose and cheek area and making it tingle.... soooo annoying!!! I've had a sinus CT which showed I'd had previous infections....but nothing else....I hope you feel better soon and that you get some answers after you've seen your Dr.

• Posted

Hi Laura, 

I was wondering what you found out. I seem to be having something similar and have been feeling this way for the past three weeks. Hope you are feeling better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.