Posted , 8 users are following.
First time in this group and appreciate you being here. I've had 4 or 5 episodes of Afib since my 40's. Now age 71. Each time I was electro controverted successfully, except this time. Doc tried twice and said both times my heart converted but right away slipped back into Afib. He said he used max current and I can believe it based on how sore my chest feels!
He offered three approaches. 1) Ablation; 2)stay as I am now which is on Diltiazem for rate control; 3) Take Flecainde 50mg 2x/day for a week and then come back and try electrical cardioversion again.
I am not ready at this point to consider ablation given my history of successful electrical cardioversions although I realize they tend to work less with time.
1. Does a week of Flecainde and another electrical cardioversion make sense?
2. Do you think it would make any difference if I waited more than a week given the holidays and frankly I'm a bit worn out over this whole thing and could use some time off?
2. Doc said if I convert next time he wants me to stay on Flecainde. Does this make sense or in the event the cardioversion works should I go off the Flecainde in a month or so and see if things hold? (this would be my choice)
3. Any other suggestions.
Thanks for any help here.
0 likes, 21 replies