Failed Electric Cardioversion now Flecainide Before Another Attempt? Need advice.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

First time in this group and appreciate you being here. I've had 4 or 5 episodes of Afib since my 40's. Now age 71. Each time I was electro controverted successfully, except this time.  Doc tried twice and said both times my heart converted but right away slipped back into Afib. He said he used max current and I can believe it based on how sore my chest feels!

He offered three approaches. 1) Ablation; 2)stay as I am now which is on Diltiazem for rate control; 3) Take Flecainde 50mg 2x/day for a week and then come back and try electrical cardioversion again.

I am not ready at this point to consider ablation given my history of successful electrical cardioversions although I realize they tend to work less with time. 

1. Does a week of Flecainde and another electrical cardioversion make sense?

2. Do you think it would make any difference if I waited more than a week given the holidays and frankly I'm a bit worn out over this whole thing and could use some time off?

2. Doc said if I convert next time he wants me to stay on Flecainde. Does this make sense or in the event the cardioversion works should I go off the Flecainde in a month or so and see if things hold? (this would be my choice)

3. Any other suggestions.

Thanks for any help here.

Jim

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi cholesterol comes from inflammation of the arteries. You can find lots of info on this via google. The drug that was given to Roy was probably Adenosine. Horrible stuff had it once and thought I was gonna die! Never again. It's on my list of DO NOT GIVE TO ME lol. Your new diet may be triggering these new episodes. If you check out the FODMAP diet from Stanford university you may see some foods that this diet says you shouldn't eat. Let me know how you do.

• Posted

Flecainide works well to control your AF you don't want to keep going into AF as it can damage your heart.  Ablation should be considered next year

• Posted

Thanks Sarah. The thing is that I have previously been going into Afib only once every 5-10 years that has been successfully taken care of with electrical cardioversion each time, except this. One espisode every 5-10 hasn't merited surgery or even rate drugs. Now, of course, it's a little different in that I didn't cardiovert right away but I still think it's worth another try before ablation or going permanently on rate drugs. Just not sure how to proceed and when.

Jim

• Posted

Good news. Never took the flecainide but I spontaneously controverted a couple of days ago. Have a bunch of PACs, but I've had them on and off before, so I can live with that.

Glad I held off a little on the Flecainide and the second electrical cardioversion to give mother nature a chance. So right now just on 240 Dialitiazem/day and Xarelto.

Haven't been able to get in touch with the docs over the holidays, but I think the plan is to stay on the Dilitiazem and thinner for about a month.

Does that sound right as I only have afib episodes maybe once every 5-8 years?

Also, any suggestions as to whether exercise is good for me now and at what intensity. I did notice today on the treadmill that the Dilitiazem is keeping my rate about 10 beats lower than normal with exercise. Decided to stop coffee and alcohol completely for now even though I was told both were OK in moderation.

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.