Failed Radiofrequency ablation or Varicose Vein operation

Posted , 19 users are following.

I recently had failed Radiofrequency ablation ( it happened to me the second time!) and my surgeon said that my vein went to spasm and he couldn’t enter the vein with his catheter.  He said that he will make another attempt in 6 weeks time under general anaesthetic but I feel concerned now. Is anyone else had the same problem? Please share your experience.

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, just wondering how either of you got on with this issue? I am 21 and have venous insufficiency in both legs, but only my left leg was displaying symptoms (to the point where I couldn't walk). I had private surgery under a surgeon who works both privately and for the NHS and it went terribly wrong. A week after the surgery I was admitted to A&E with blood clots on both lungs and have today found out that the radiofrequency ablation did not collapse the vein as it should have done. I have been told that should this be corrected in the future (I now cannot have surgery for at least 6 months due to blood clot treatment) they will need to use laser rather than radiofrequency as it has a much higher temperature range.

I have read your comments about paying to go privately, but in my experience it does not necessarily give you 'better' treatment. Anyway, would be very interested to hear how you have got on with this.

• Posted

I would get your evidence together and report this surgeon, you shouldn't have went through that trauma.

• Posted

Hi Hannah. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I didn't see your message earlieir. How you are doing now? I hope you recovered from the blood clots.  What hospital did you have your operation? And what is the surgeon's name? I am still thinking to have another operation or not (it would be number 6 on the same leg!). I am very concerned and feel that there are not many good surgeons around. Keep in touch. Let me know how are you now.

• Posted

I think your'e lucky to get the R.F. ablation my primary care trust won't spend the money on it for me so I have to use the foam sclerotherapy procedure. I wouldn't worry too much you're under their care and they know what's wrong - so it went into spasm .. it doesn't mean a major problem just a a reflex.

• Posted

I thought the NHS tended to use the vein stripping procedure. I paid to have the R. F. ablation but I also had sclerotherapy at the same time. The surgeon said for the wiggly veins. I would have thought you might need more than sclerotherapy on the main vein area. I am not sure the whole procedure made any improvement apart from improving the surgeon's bank account.

• Posted

The use vein stripping probably because it's the easiest (or cheapest) option for the deeper veins.

My problems go back decades so it's not just now - I first had a strip when I was in the Army (H.M. Forces) when I was 23. I had a big clump on my calf which was removed with a 'low-tie' as they called it, behind the knee and calf. After that (and after the army) another strip was a 'high-tie' which was the normal and incision in the groin/behind the knee and the calf with a few smaller incisions on the way. After that the consultant said he didn't want to go in (with the knife) again so that's where my foam sclerotherapy came about. "Wiggly veins" are the smaller surface ones I presume which were cleared up with the same foam with me.

• Posted

That is really interesting willy. The surgeon was telling me that the first varicose vein operation was done in the eighteen hundreds. Imagine being the first person to try stripping veins, which I assume is what they did. On the other hand imagine giving someone a new heart! I actually met Dr Barnard, but luckily it was in a lecture on his heart transplants. It was quite fascinating, he gave it as if it were how do a heart transplant in one easy lesson! 
    • Posted

I think they'd have practiced on a few samples brought in by Burke and Hare first though or there colleagues, just so they knew where the veins were hehe.  I think if we looked back even further maybe to the Ancient Greeks (your username is pointming me that way hehe) or even Egyptians they might have had an understanding of the anatomy of a human. God knows what went in the Library of Alexandria....

• Posted

I have had nothing but problems with the VENEFIT vein procedure. MORE veins, PAIN, nerve damage, The doctor used stents to get Medicare approval. I was never told about the serious risks, rupture, blood clots, infection/sepsis. and death. My doctor deceived me and put me at risk. People with chronic vein disease or history of DVT get stents, I do not have either. I need an attorney that believes this is serious. I am going to a different doctor after I sue this one for scaming US medicare.
    • Posted

Hi Beverlyj,

Thanks for your reply. Did you have your vein procedure in the US, privatly? What is VENEFIT? Did you have any complications after this procedure? I am living in UK, but still cannot sort out my reccurent thrombophlibitis for 29 years now, even after 5 operations. Really don't know what to do? 

• Posted

Hi

6 weeks ago I had radioablation and avultion procedure done on both legs under general anaesthetic. For the first week I wore the full length compressed stockings day and night. 2nd week just during the day. Thereafter told I could take off and resume normal activities, exercising etc. I had the normal healing pains from the procedure which got less everyday and I was walking normally more or less pain free.

However from the 5th week onwards I'm experiencing the same crampy, tingly, blood rushing feelings in my legs upon resting, which I used to get before the treatment. I had this treatment done to relieve myself from the suffering I had before. I know there is a chance of the varicose veins coming back in the future, but just weeks after? My GP ensures me it's all part of the healing process and even take up to 6 months to heal. Has anyone else experienced the same? Is what Im feeling healing pains?

• Posted

how is it now? would u advise against the procedure? i feel so helpless

• Posted

Hey Antonio, I had the ablation twice here in texas.

Failed twice .

It keeps unsealing.

Now my vein are in a different place bulging in my inner thigh.

I am so dissappointed.

Dont know what to do.

Any suggestions?

Or maybe some insight on your situation?

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.